Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
No-one. Surely.

OK - if I ever had any credibility, it's gone now: I never bought this. Cannot remember why - maybe I thought I had all the best tracks already, but we all know that this is NOT a relevant indie excuse as records are made for collecting as well as enjoying. I can offer Pillows & Prayers as an apology.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
OK - if I ever had any credibility, it's gone now: I never bought this. Cannot remember why - maybe I thought I had all the best tracks already, but we all know that this is NOT a relevant indie excuse as records are made for collecting as well as enjoying. I can offer Pillows & Prayers as an apology.

You had battle of the bands by Felt?

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I used to have it, but I sold it a long time ago.

I've got all of these though, so does that let me off?

Creation+Records+-+Creation+Soup+-+Set+of+Five+Volumes+Compilation+LP's+-+5+LP+SET-291967.jpg

Jul 20, 2003
JESUS WEPT .............. just committed to a picture thingy and saw the price Sarah records are sold for!

I am filthy rich (in principle, if they weren't all scratched) BALLS

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
JESUS WEPT .............. just committed to a picture thingy and saw the price Sarah records are sold for!

I am filthy rich (in principle, if they weren't all scratched) BALLS

Pristine Christine often goes for 3 figures on EBay. I don't understand why somebody doesn't rerelease Stardust properly- guess there must be licencing issues.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Has anyone read this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creation-Re...qid=1374848091&sr=1-1&keywords=david+cavanagh

It has lots of interesting mad stuff about McGee, Gillespie, Jerry 'The Legend' Thackray, Lawrence, Alan Horne, Dan Treacy, the Reid Brothers & Shields before it gets to the success of Screamadelica and Oasis.

Yes I have. I quite liked it, but he's got the same prejudices that a lot of music journalists have got about C86. Twee, shambling, 60s revivalism etc etc. He's really got it in for the Pastels for example, and completely ignores the Razorcuts (despite interviewing Tim Vass for the book).

I think that there's still a book to be written about indiepop which sees it as more than the final death throes of post punk (c.Simon Reynolds). It laid the foundation for a lot of good stuff which came later, particularly for Riot Grrrl and the place of women in popular music which it doesn't get any credit for.

So there.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Riot Grrrl and the place of women in popular music

We had a bit of a thread about Riot Grrrl a while back. A lot of people seemed to like the attitude, hate the music. A lot also hated the attitude AND the music. No-one hated the attitude but loved the music.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Pristine Christine often goes for 3 figures on EBay

My copy's missing the poster - don't know what happened there - don't remember ever having it. :cry: I did sell Sarah 3 + 4 (which I now regret) about 3 years ago for £83. I now have a self-imposed gap in my collection.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

I am actually tempted to open a Pinterest account as I love looking at record covers. @Chaileyjem provided a Pinterest account somewhere above that's worth checking out: imagine if you could have a huge collection of 7" covers in your Pinterest album - as well as photos of Robbie Reinelt and Stuart Storer. I'd take those Creation Soup ones. Here's the link: http://pinterest.com/steviecatb12/

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
'I don't think I was at that Charlottes gig but they would've returned to Brighton supporting Ride on their "Play" tour in Spring 1990'

Everyone has that gig that all their mates went to and you didn't! Well the one above was mine, Ride spring 1990 but at the Bournemouth Academy. Still can't remember why I didn't go!

Great Indie thread!

This thread just keeps on rolling.....brilliant!

I was at the Ride Bournemouth gig and when they supported Pale Saints at ULU.
Got Doing It For The Kids. Glad others remember "Lighthouse"!
For those who have fond memories of Turn It Up, yesterday morning I drove past the Shelley Arms in Nutley, later in the day I had a shandy at the Six Bells in Chiddingly. Two pubs that always made it onto the gig guide.
I'd like to discuss uniform please. How many of these did you have...
- black denim jacket
- winkle pickers/chelsea boots
- black fishermans cap
- black jeans with turn-ups
- DM shoes (not boots)
- Lennon shades.

Come on, own up.???

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Yes I have. I quite liked it, but he's got the same prejudices that a lot of music journalists have got about C86. Twee, shambling, 60s revivalism etc etc. He's really got it in for the Pastels for example, and completely ignores the Razorcuts (despite interviewing Tim Vass for the book).

I think that there's still a book to be written about indiepop which sees it as more than the final death throes of post punk (c.Simon Reynolds). It laid the foundation for a lot of good stuff which came later, particularly for Riot Grrrl and the place of women in popular music which it doesn't get any credit for.

So there.

I think you're right that the scene has been underestimated. Kurt Cobain made it clear that bands like The Pastels and The Shop Assistants were an influence on Nirvana and it seems that it was his pop sensibility (As well as openly ripping off The Pixies' quiet-loud, quiet-loud structure) that lifted them above a lot of the other grunge stuff which was more like repackaged US metal.

I'm currently reading Reynolds' book and, whilst it is interesting, it also seems to have a bias against the Postcard influenced stuff, rehashing the old argument that success at making 'pure pop' has to be measured by national chart position and can't be done in an independent, lo-fi fashion.

Jul 20, 2003
Yes I also have 'Doing It For The Kids'. Seeing the Jazz Butcher's name on the cover reminds me that, up in the loft I still have half a dozen VHS tapes with episodes of 'Transmission'. I'll dig them out at the weekend and see who were on them.

I bet most also have 'Alvin Lives In Leeds' with the Pop Guns doing 'Bye Bye Baby', the 14 Iced Bears' 'Summer Nights' and Cud making the second best version of 'Bohemian Rhapsody'.

(Here's the best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzu0rxoK3S4)

check (on cassette)
check (12")

If you attribute scrabble tile values to names of charting bands "We've got a Fuzzbox and we're going to use it" absolutely pisses it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here