Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
This thread just keeps on rolling.....brilliant!

I was at the Ride Bournemouth gig and when they supported Pale Saints at ULU.
Got Doing It For The Kids. Glad others remember "Lighthouse"!
For those who have fond memories of Turn It Up, yesterday morning I drove past the Shelley Arms in Nutley, later in the day I had a shandy at the Six Bells in Chiddingly. Two pubs that always made it onto the gig guide.
I'd like to discuss uniform please. How many of these did you have...
- black denim jacket
- winkle pickers/chelsea boots
- black fishermans cap
- black jeans with turn-ups
- DM shoes (not boots)
- Lennon shades.

Come on, own up.???

I went to the Shelley Arms three times - saw the Guana Batz (not brilliant), The Popguns (quite good, but not at their best) and The Charlottes (ditto, lead singer had a fringe and red hair. The Charlottes are punching above their weight on this thread - hadn't thought about them in years before a few days ago!). My uniform was black jeans (turned up), any kind of pointy black suede shoe or my favourite black suede DMs from Western Road, and one of my many flowery shirts. Hair was a bit Jesus and Mary Chain.

Jul 20, 2003
I reckon we can OWN the cycling geeks

I have part of guitar pedal that The Wolfgang Press broke at The Marquee Club circa 1988.

Jul 20, 2003
Like yr new avatar. Should change mine one day.

you could briefly try one that demonstrates that there's always been a dance element to your music tastes and then revert to the original to the beard stroking delight from the purists

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I reckon we can OWN the cycling geeks

I have part of guitar pedal that The Wolfgang Press broke at The Marquee Club circa 1988.

I still have a broken drumstick that the Flatmates' drummer threw into the crowd at Kings Manor Cellars in York in 1987. How's that for geeky?

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
We had a bit of a thread about Riot Grrrl a while back. A lot of people seemed to like the attitude, hate the music. A lot also hated the attitude AND the music. No-one hated the attitude but loved the music.

Some of the attitude was a bit precious, and some of the music was a bit rubbish, but still a lot of good stuff. Mambo Taxi....

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Indietracks Festival 2013. The thread for all things C86

Were bis good tonight?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm going for CD86 whilst I make the dinner. Loudly. Anyone got any obscure C86 classics to recommend? Not sure it's that obscure, but I'm throwing in A Prophecy by The Close Lobsters as a starter. Would love to hear a great song I've not heard before...any suggestions?

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I'm going for CD86 whilst I make the dinner. Loudly. Anyone got any obscure C86 classics to recommend? Not sure it's that obscure, but I'm throwing in A Prophecy by The Close Lobsters as a starter. Would love to hear a great song I've not heard before...any suggestions?

You probably already know them, but how about:

and

and

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd like to discuss uniform please. How many of these did you have...
- black denim jacket
- black jeans with turn-ups
?

Just these. Teamed with black suede brogues and any one of a collection of band / gig tshirts.

image.jpg

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
You probably already know them, but how about...

thanks for these - like the Miaow one best, love I Had An Excellent Dream by The Dentists. Didn't realise The Claim and The Dentists were part of the Medway Scene. I'll try a more obscure choice now: They Fell For Words Like Love by Hangmans Beautiful Daughters.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
thanks for these - like the Miaow one best, love I Had An Excellent Dream by The Dentists. Didn't realise The Claim and The Dentists were part of the Medway Scene. I'll try a more obscure choice now: They Fell For Words Like Love by Hangmans Beautiful Daughters.

I've got this somewhere, but not listened to it for years. I'll have to dig it out: http://www.discogs.com/Hangmans-Beautiful-Daughters-The-Hangmans-Beautiful-Daughters/release/2653690

I'll counter with this classic (although a little early to be pure C86 I guess:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Correct - WE (the indie elite) stopped liking them after Destroy The Heart. Seriously though, what a waste of a potentially fab band...

Terrific band. Superb live.

Guy Chadwick scared me a bit though. Weird EYES.

image.jpg

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Terrific band. Superb live.

Guy Chadwick scared me a bit though. Weird EYES.

View attachment 45236

I saw them years ago at The Top Rank think it was 1988. My memory is very poor but I believe it was a creation records tour. They came on late and I threw a sicky the following day- that I do remember.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I saw them years ago at The Top Rank think it was 1988. My memory is very poor but I believe it was a creation records tour. They came on late and I threw a sicky the following day- that I do remember.

1990 at the Royal Court in Liverpool for me. I may have been me and my now wife's first proper date. I know how to treat a lady.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here