Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Thanks HKFC. What did the Amazon Fairy deliver this time?

This

IMG00981-20130722-1350.jpg

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Good stuff! will you be dragging a bunch of mates along? I went all alone to my first Indietracks, but it's a very friendly crowd and I had a bloody great time.

No, just me and my tent. No worries though, I have been to festivals with friends, but usually end up on my own anyway.

Sounds like I'll be fine then :)

Flex Your Head

No, just me and my tent. No worries though, I have been to festivals with friends, but usually end up on my own anyway.

Sounds like I'll be fine then :)
I think I responded to you on Anorak re the 'Meet up' thread... assuming that's you?
The Golden Valley site is a rip off re prices over the Indietracks weekend, but it's a lovely place to camp and it's a great little walk to the festival site - plenty of folk heading the same way usually. I'm lording it in a Travelodge as I knackered my back last time I camped.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I really am going to have to make that trip into the attic. I saved lots of stuff related to the local jangle pop scene and not looked at them since. Incidently- little mention of Postcard records on this thread and all things Orange Juice/ Josef K

I have 7 or 8 Postcard singles. They have nice sleeves and, erm, postcards. A definite precursor to the whole C86 sound, a little bit less immediate though, but rewarding if you persevere. Is there a Postcard compilation album? I have the Orange Juice one, but i haven't listened to it for ages. Some classic tracks though.

Flex Your Head

CorgiRegisteredFriend;58 38879 said:
This is a good place to start re Josef K
That's a great shout - always preferred Josef K to Orange Juice.

Let us not forget the New Zealand contingent;

The Chills - Rolling Moon. Saw this lot in Brighton 5 times and they were always fantatstic.

The Clean - Anything Could Happen. I remember buying ticket #2 to see them at The Richmond. My mate bought ticket #3 9 days later. Needless to say the gig was cancelled and I've still never seen them.

The Bats - Made up In Blue. I've a few Bats 12" EPs (remember them?), but this is my favourite.

Flex Your Head

And this, is just truly spine-tinglingly wonderful;

Minisnap - New Broom

I love it so much because it's just the defintion of perfect pop, and they don't care that they're old and uncool, and the whole Bounce Around album is wonderful and can be bought cheap on Ebay... and I have a right old crush on Kaye the singer.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
The Chills? Heavenly Pop Hit, surely? I saw The Charlottes at The Richmond, and there couldn't have been more than 10 people there - and i knew 5 of them. By some miracle, were any of you lot there? Must have been 1989.

Flex Your Head

The Chills? Heavenly Pop Hit, surely? I saw The Charlottes at The Richmond, and there couldn't have been more than 10 people there - and i knew 5 of them. By some miracle, were any of you lot there? Must have been 1989.
Yes, I was there. It was pretty dismal. Weren't Brighter the support band?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Very nice. I'm making notes for the compilation I promised you; are you more a fan of the 'quieter, less abrasive' stuff rather than the 'noisier, more raucous' stuff?
Simply put; are you a Sarah fan or a Subway fan?

Less abrasive on the whole, please, even twee! (much as I do love the wedding present). My WIFE is loving Talulah Gosh.

June Brides and Brilliant Corners are my indypop benchmark!

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne

Got a feeling I was there, will have to check my collection of old ticket stubbs.

Anyone see The Chesterfields at the Richmond?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Got a feeling I was there, will have to check my collection of old ticket stubbs.

Anyone see The Chesterfields at the Richmond?

I did not see The Chesterfields. Re The Charlottes: we now need a photo of the crowd and we can do one of those blanked out versions with people's silhouettes with numbers inside them with a key at the bottom explaining who each member of the crowd is. Could be too much to ask, but I'm amazed that we may now be able to identify 80% of the crowd at an obscure upstairs indie gig from 24 years ago. The magic of the internet....

Flex Your Head

I did not see The Chesterfields. Re The Charlottes: we now need a photo of the crowd and we can do one of those blanked out versions with people's silhouettes with numbers inside them with a key at the bottom explaining who each member of the crowd is. Could be too much to ask, but I'm amazed that we may now be able to identify 80% of the crowd at an obscure upstairs indie gig from 24 years ago. The magic of the internet....
I definitely saw The Chesterfields at The Concorde, but I'm not sure about The Richmond... possibly.

I remember that it was pissing down on the night of The Charlottes gig and I thought twice about going. I'd really been enjoying the album though so decided to drive and nurse a single pint all night. The supoport band (I'm pretty sure it was the local-ish Brighter) were dull in that, whilst each song individually was pretty and gentle and whatever, after 3 or 4, they all started sounding the same. I was desperate for a change of tempo and a bit of oomph.
I think The Charlottes themselves were changing from being an indiepop band to something a tad more shoe-gazy and serious. I left the gig feeling that the C86 era has just ended there and then, probably not helped by the wet and windy conditions outside.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
This is my favourite Chills song- captures the contradictions of being a romantic misanthrope perfectly:

Shouldn't forget the Australians in Europe, either

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
Shouldn't forget the Australians in Europe, either

I see what you did there.
That Fall song was the first thing I ever recorded off Peel, followed by "Three Times" by Little Red Schoolhouse.
The third was the aforementioned Pristine Christine. 1987.
I don't think I was at that Charlottes gig but they would've returned to Brighton supporting Ride on their "Play" tour in Spring 1990.
I bet that photographer was there though. Don't ask me his name but this guy was as every Richmond/Basement/Escape I ever attended. Long coat, black jeans, snapping away all by himself.
Here's a band you must remember: Bobby Scarlet from Crawley/Brighton, who mutated into Spitfire. Excellent band, saw them loads of times.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I saw the Chesterfields at the Concord and at the Poly Basement. They had a female violinist at one of the gigs and a brass section at the other. I seem to remember that the Weather Prophets were in town on the same night as one of these. I missed Astor's lot and never got another chance.

A couple of other bands who I seem to remember playing the Apple Orchard were the Caretaker Race and the Wolfhounds. Am I right in thinking that the latter were also one of the support bands at the Weddoes Turn It Up Xmas Party?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here