Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I remember these words being repeated every time me and my mate played our guitars at our parents' houses and there was a query about sound quality (good or bad). Quite funny to listen to (Gedge, not us), always made me wonder whether he wasn't a bit annoying and autocratic with 'the band' and studio staff.

I lived in Leeds for a long time, and used to know a few ex weddoes (although not very well). I think that he could be a bit ruthless at times in getting rid of people who he perhaps thought that the band would progress better without. Obviously only heard their side of the stories though. And that happens in a lot of bands if they have any ambition.

Also like a lot of bands that go for any length of time (the Fall being the best example) I think that they started out as a group of mates and turned gradually into his band, with a definate boss.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I lived in Leeds for a long time, and used to know a few ex weddoes (although not very well). I think that he could be a bit ruthless at times in getting rid of people who he perhaps thought that the band would progress better without. Obviously only heard their side of the stories though. And that happens in a lot of bands if they have any ambition.

Also like a lot of bands that go for any length of time (the Fall being the best example) I think that they started out as a group of mates and turned gradually into his band, with a definate boss.

How does ANYONE put up with Mark E. Smith as their boss - can you imagine?

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Two more things: which came first - This Poison or the Weddoes? Paused Over The Pause Button is fantastic, but the guitar surges are pure Weddoes, but who was copying who, or did they come up with the sound at the same time? I think these two bands were the only ones on Reception, so Gedge must have been a fan.

I can answer this one. This Poison! were fans of TWP, and were the first people to put the band on in Scotland. All round top blokes!

So TWP definitely came first and put TP! on the label. As for Josef K, they were definitely an influence on TWP...

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
One thing that is a bit gutting about the At The Edge of The Sea festival... I play in a band on the bill called The Fireworks, but we're playing at a time just before the Burnley match has ended!

The sacrifices...:tantrum:

We're doing Indietracks as well though, realy looking forward to it!

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
One thing that is a bit gutting about the At The Edge of The Sea festival... I play in a band on the bill called The Fireworks, but we're playing at a time just before the Burnley match has ended!

OOOH, you did a session for Rocker, didn't you?

Flex Your Head

Hey Shaun, I posted about The Fireworks around about post 300 on here - http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showthread.php?268665-Live-Music-2013/page8
Had a photo of you too... except you're hidden behind Emma.

The campaign to have The Fireworks play Dick's Bar starts here...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Its 30 degrees outside, I have the cricket streaming to my iPad, and this just arrived in the post. Today is shaping up rather nicely.

today.jpg

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Its 30 degrees outside, I have the cricket streaming to my iPad, and this just arrived in the post. Today is shaping up rather nicely.

View attachment 44885

You should play Some Jingle Jangle Morning very loud as soon as you get the chance. One of the greatest songs ever written.

Then go back to Amazon and buy this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Got-Shadow-Mary-Lou-Lord/dp/B000002BIH/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1374143530&sr=1-4&keywords=mary+lou+lord

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
You don't have to of course- that might have sounded a bit strident...

Behave yourself Staly - no-one wants to be ordered around by a dogmatic MLL fan. That song is my wife's favourite on the album. Blimey, the cricket is going BADLY. I'm off to the cricket thread for a bit...

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
That song is my wife's favourite on the album. Blimey, the cricket is going BADLY. I'm off to the cricket thread for a bit...

My wife's too. She started out as a Bon Jovi fan but I'm gradually converting her to the Dark Side. I surprised her singing City Hobgoblins in the kitchen the other day- "you think it's the pipes...". She was mortified.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
My wife's too. She started out as a Bon Jovi fan but I'm gradually converting her to the Dark Side. I surprised her singing City Hobgoblins in the kitchen the other day- "you think it's the pipes...". She was mortified.

I'm impressed - there aren't many Fall songs that can be sung by anyone apart from MES, so you have to make do with small excerpts. My wife may have sung bits of Victoria, but nothing more than that. She just tells me to be quiet if I start yelling "and the thing was in the impression of..........J TEMPERANCE!!!", but I suppose, for the uninitiated, it may seem weird.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I'm impressed - there aren't many Fall songs that can be sung by anyone apart from MES, so you have to make do with small excerpts. My wife may have sung bits of Victoria, but nothing more than that. She just tells me to be quiet if I start yelling "and the thing was in the impression of..........J TEMPERANCE!!!", but I suppose, for the uninitiated, it may seem weird.

I think City Hobgoblins has stuck because we both walk through Piccadilly Gardens on our way to work in the morning, and agree that the statue of Queen Victoria does indeed look like a large black slug (also a bit like the mother in law, but I don't say that....). She also likes Eat Y'Self Fitter, and I quite often catch her tapping the rhythm out on the arm of her chair - b'dum b'dum b'dum dum. Makes me so proud.

manchqvonslowford1.jpg

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

View attachment 44885

Glad that arrived. I have lots of Rough Trade Compilations- the one that they do as a best of at the end of each year is always worth a listen.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You should play Some Jingle Jangle Morning very loud as soon as you get the chance. One of the greatest songs ever written.

I did exactly that Staly, and rather lovely it was too. Pristine Christine at track #5 and this at #7, would make for a real high point of the first CD, if not for the screechy nonsense at track #6!

Haven't got terribly far with the CDs yet, through a combination of listening to the cricket, and the fact my commute is only about 8 minutes long. What I did do last night though, was re-read this thread, and play EVERY link embedded in it. An hour very well spent. Some top work here, chaps :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here