Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Youtube is blocked at work. Looking forward to checking out all these links later.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
my copy of the 'The Field Mice, Snowball' has 'snowball' scratched onto it in letraset applied by own fair cack-hand when I was a mere 18 years old and sporting a ridiculous fringe.

You've destroyed some value by defacing a collectible record, thereby preventing it from becoming a product and enabling it to be a possession - your ethos is sound. Says the man who sold his copy of Mogwai's first single on eBay a few months ago.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Another thing I remember with great affection is 'Turn It Up' on Radio Sussex. Knowing little more than Gigantic, I went to see The Pixies at the Suite because the presenters were so excited that they were coming to town: One of the best gigs I've ever seen. As was the Wedding Present at the Turn It Up Xmas Party at the Pavilion (1987?)

I was certainly at both of these. Also saw The Weddoes at the Suite. Two things stick out in my mind from this evening. One the sight of Gedge playing lead in his shorts and secondly someone jumping to what everyone though was certain death from the top balcony to the bottom.
This thread is bringing back so many happy memories. Going to dig out my button badge collection at some point.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I saw TWP at Liverpool Uni. Gedge was absolutely FURIOUS with the rest of the band about something. It was by far the ANGRIEST set I've ever seen.

Flex Your Head

I could listen and watch these older clips all day long (and frequently have), but here are some newer gems that might just tickle some of your fancies.

Utterly gorgeous dreamy pop that any Sarah Records fan will surely adore: The Proctors - Perfect World

Gold-Bears - All Those Years (2 mins 18 secs - perfect length!)

Maybe more for the Subway Records fan; The Garlands - Open Arms released by the lovely folk at Atomic Beat Records.

If anyone wants a disc crammed with current stuff, let me know, but it'll have to be after Indietracks cos I'm busy sorting stuff to play there first... can't bloody wait :O (and that's from someone who hardly ever uses the smilies!)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If anyone wants a disc crammed with current stuff, let me know, but it'll have to be after Indietracks cos I'm busy sorting stuff to play there first... can't bloody wait :O (and that's from someone who hardly ever uses the smilies!)

:wave: me sir, please sir.

Especially liked the Proctors one. Triffic

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I can't believe that Brilliant Corners compilation has left off the fantastic throwaway 'The Boy & The Cloud'. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4sZXuubW1Q

I'm going to dig out the vinyl. As well as a lot of those already mentioned, looking forward to Tallulah Gosh, The Chesterfields, One Thousand Violins, The Primitives, Choo Choo Train, This Poison, The Shop Assistants, The Waltones and playing 'George Best' loads before Gedge does the whole album on the Saturday of the Burnley game.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Two more things: which came first - This Poison or the Weddoes? Paused Over The Pause Button is fantastic, but the guitar surges are pure Weddoes, but who was copying who, or did they come up with the sound at the same time? I think these two bands were the only ones on Reception, so Gedge must have been a fan.

Secondly, someone mentioned Turn It Up. Used to listen to this on Radio Sussex every Sunday night. Is Jem Stone a user of NSC? Natasha Kaplinsky was his assistant on the show. After the programme was Barry Johnston with a very cosy evening programme, including the Take Five quiz. I remember an anecdote involving the vicar of Albourne.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Ba badada bup bup bada. Bup budada bup bup ba da.

This could actually be a lyric from any number of C86 songs: my first thought was What Went Wrong This Time by The Siddeleys, then it was Just You Mind Your Step Girl by The Soup Dragons. Neither quite worked...

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Two more things: which came first - This Poison or the Weddoes? Paused Over The Pause Button is fantastic, but the guitar surges are pure Weddoes, but who was copying who, or did they come up with the sound at the same time? I think these two bands were the only ones on Reception, so Gedge must have been a fan.

Secondly, someone mentioned Turn It Up. Used to listen to this on Radio Sussex every Sunday night. Is Jem Stone a user of NSC? Natasha Kaplinsky was his assistant on the show. After the programme was Barry Johnston with a very cosy evening programme, including the Take Five quiz. I remember an anecdote involving the vicar of Albourne.

I think they were both copying Josef K to be honest....

Jez Stone used to do a show on York University Radio when I was a student there. I remember him once taking a Godfathers record off in disgust half way through playing it.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Since the discussion yesterday about how many bands from C86 are still going, I've noticed asome recent Close Lobsters gig footage on Youtube as well.

So:

The reason for posting these is that they've cheered me up no end this morning. 25 years ago all these people were much cooler than me (well, except perhaps Mighty Mighty), but now they're all fat and bald whilst I've retained my youthful appearance.

Tracy Tracy still looks good though, although she seems to have ditched her stock still stage persona for mum at a wedding dancing.

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne

I'm sure Jem uses NSC, he's written a few articles for TSLR.
Jem now has a job within the BBC to do with social-networking which he clearly loves (you can follow him on Twitter). Just reward for the effort he put it whilst doing Turn It Up for years as an unpaid volunteer. Only Mike Bradshaw was on the BBC payroll. Someone mentioned Bennett Dean earlier in the thread, he was on Turn It Up for a while I believe.
The Turn It Up gig guide usually had a mention of the "mighty Brighton & Hove Albion" courtesy of Paul Adams who could be seen in the North Stand. I've still got a few tapes of the show knocking about.
House Of Love headlined one of their Christmas parties, which was filmed for Snub TV on BBC2.
I went to quite a few of the Apple Orchard gigs. Didn't Alan McGee start a night down the Escape too with Felt as the first headliners? Singer Lawrence had a skinhead & was staring everyone out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here