Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

Jul 20, 2003
Sarah 001 The Sea Urchins, "Pristine Christine", 1987 GOT
Sarah 002 The Orchids, "I've Got A Habit", 1988 NEED
Sarah 003 Another Sunny Day, "Anorak City", 1988 NEED
Sarah 004 untitled fanzine, 1988 Don't really NEED, but would like
Sarah 005 14 Iced Bears, "Come Get Me", 1988 GOT
Sarah 006 The Poppyheads, "Cremation Town", 1988 NEED
Sarah 007 Another Sunny Day, "I'm In Love With A Girl Who Doesn't Know I Exist", 1988 GOT
Sarah 008 The Sea Urchins, "Solace", 1988 NEED
Sarah 009 The Golden Dawn, "My Secret World", 1988 NEED
Sarah 010 The Springfields, "Sunflower", 1988 GOT
Sarah 011 The Orchids, "Underneath The Window, Underneath The Sink", 1988 GOT
Sarah 012 The Field Mice, "Emma's House", 1988 GOT
Sarah 013 Christine's Cat, "Your Love Is...", 1989 GOT
Sarah 014 "lemonade" / "cold - a lie" (fanzines), 1989 NEED
Sarah 015 St. Christopher, "You Deserve More Than A Maybe", 1989 GOT (don't really like that much)
Sarah 016 Another Sunny Day, "What's Happened", 1989 GOT
Sarah 017 The Golden Dawn, "George Hamilton's Dead", 1989 GOT
Sarah 018 The Field Mice, "Sensitive", 1989 GOT (b side is superb)
Sarah 019 Brighter, "Around The World In Eighty Days", 1989 GOT (stunning)
Sarah 020 St. Christopher, "All Of A Tremble", 1989 GOT (don't really like that much)
Sarah 021 The Wake, "Crush The Flowers", 1989 GOT
Sarah 022 Another Sunny Day, "You Should All Be Murdered", 1989 GOT (Magnificent)
Sarah 023 The Orchids, "What Will We Do Next", 1989 GOT
Sarah 024 The Field Mice, "The Autumn Store part 1", 1990 GOT
Sarah 025 The Field Mice, "The Autumn Store part 2", 1990 GOT
Sarah 026 Gentle Despite, "Darkest Blue", 1990 GOT
Sarah 027 Brighter, "Noah's Ark", 1990 GOT
Sarah 028 Action Painting!, "These Things Happen", 1990 GOT (not great)
Sarah 029 The Orchids, "Something For The Longing", 1990 GOT
Sarah 030 Heavenly, "I Fell In Love Last Night", 1990 GOT (superb)
Sarah 031 Eternal, "Breathe", 1990 GOT (lo budget MBV)
Sarah 032 "Sunstroke" (fanzine), 1990 NEED
Sarah 033 The Sea Urchins, "A Morning Odyssey", 1990 GOT
Sarah 034 St. Christopher, "Antoinette", 1990 NEED
Sarah 035 Another Sunny Day, "Rio", 1990 GOT
Sarah 036 The Sweetest Ache, "If I Could Shine", 1990 GOT
Sarah 037 Even As We Speak, "Nothing Ever Happens", 1990 GOT
Sarah 038 The Field Mice, "So Said Kay", 1990 GOT ........... oh my days ........................ I feel a song coming on ......... 10" innit

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
"Sarah 028 Action Painting!, "These Things Happen", 1990 GOT (not great)"

What'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis? One of the best things Sarah did. You just don't like them because they were from Portsmouth.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Limiting myself to five Sarah picks:

Pristine Christine - Sea Urchins
I Don't Think It Matters - Brighter
You Should All Be Murdered - Another Sunny Day
Blue Light - The Orchids
If You Need Someone - Field Mice

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Generally a worse-sounding Primal Scream. From pop perfection to gash very quickly as the backlash against thoughtfulness and melody kicked in - Primal Scream soon abandoned the ship.

Quite. I guess the Soup Dragons were another. The old records I dug out of the garage yesterday included their (second?) album This Is Our Art, which was a terrific record. 'Soft as your face' maybe the stand out track.

Then they had a big change of direction, and scored the big hit with 'I'm Free', which was decent enough in its own right, but might as well have been a completely different band.

Flex Your Head

Quite. I guess the Soup Dragons were another. The old records I dug out of the garage yesterday included their (second?) album This Is Our Art, which was a terrific record. 'Soft as your face' maybe the stand out track.

Then they had a big change of direction, and scored the big hit with 'I'm Free', which was decent enough in its own right, but might as well have been a completely different band.
I think I saw the Soup Dragons twice in Brighton (Escape and Concorde) and both times they were fantastic. This was when they were playing Whole Wide World, Head Gone Astray, Hang Ten and others. When they went all 'baggy' and declared "There's always been a dance element to our music", everything went horribly wrong.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think I saw the Soup Dragons twice in Brighton (Escape and Concorde) and both times they were fantastic. This was when they were playing Whole Wide World, Head Gone Astray, Hang Ten and others. When they went all 'baggy' and declared "There's always been a dance element to our music", everything went horribly wrong.

Indeed. Although they probably sold more copies of I'm Free than the entire remainder of their output combined, so they'd probably not care what we think!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

My band at school did a cover version of Hang Ten - it (ie our version) was rubbish, but it was quite easy to play. The Soup Dragons were good fun, with the sense to end a quick-paced song at around the two minute mark.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
"Sarah 028 Action Painting!, "These Things Happen", 1990 GOT (not great)"

What'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis? One of the best things Sarah did. You just don't like them because they were from Portsmouth.

Seconded - also like Mustard Gas. Sarah flirted two or three times with shoegaze (another of my great loves - just thinking of the guitars lifting off on Suzanne by Moose brings out the goose pimples): Eternal - Breathe (beneath the murky production, there is a great song in there - featuring Christian from Slowdive before he joined Slowdive) and Mustard Gas are two, plus anything to do with Secret Shine who, if they weren't actually so good at it, should have been laughed out of town as the most blatant MBV copyists in history - check out Liquid Indigo on Sarah 87 - wouldn't have been the worst track on Loveless!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Saw them at the Escape too and the second time when they reached 'popularity' and that was at Brixton Accademy- I think (everyone on this thread seems to have a far better and accurate memory than I do)

Jul 20, 2003
When morning came to town is lovely but nowhere near the genius of Sensitive. Oh when that bassline kicks in . . .
I saw the Field Mice at the Escape, unfortunately their drum machine didnt work! bah.

but at least you got a free apple

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here