Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] India v England Test Series

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I think Woakes is very skilfull. I also think he's probably a bit unlucky that he's had Anderson and Broad ahead of him for most of his career, as otherwise probably could have been our first choice bowler.

He’d have been our most important player through the majority of the 90’s.

As you say we have such depth in our bowling that he has been in and out of the side. He is a quality cricketer and massively unlucky not to be a regular based on his performances.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A Gatting, John Emburey relay team would struggle to beat 12 minutes.

In Atherton’s autobiography he mentions that in his first test as England captain, Australia were about 200 and something for 1 and he walked in to find Emburey having a pint of bitter.

Botham once banned Gooch from running, as it was bad for morale!

Samit Patel was dropped by England purely on grounds of fitness.

You could pick a decent England from those who were, er, not prime physical specimens

C Milburn
J Jameson
R Key
MC Cowdrey
M Gatting
JM Parks (wk)
S Patel
I Austin
D Gough
E Hemmings
J Ormond

(A bit unfair on Parks and Gough who weren't really that bulky but couldn't think of any other keeper or fast bowler)

I'm not sure what score they'd make but they'd make absolutely short work of the lunch!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
All I will say about the England 2nd Test squad is that India will already be delighted not to be facing Archer, and now even more delighted not to be facing Anderson, Bess or Buttler either..

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

You could pick a decent England from those who were, er, not prime physical specimens

C Milburn
J Jameson
R Key
MC Cowdrey
M Gatting
JM Parks (wk)
S Patel
I Austin
D Gough
E Hemmings
J Ormond

(A bit unfair on Parks and Gough who weren't really that bulky but couldn't think of any other keeper or fast bowler)

I'm not sure what score they'd make but they'd make absolutely short work of the lunch!

You could possibly drop Rob Key in there as well. EDIT and then i reread your post and realised you had put him in. DOH!

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
All I will say about the England 2nd Test squad is that India will already be delighted not to be facing Archer, and now even more delighted not to be facing Anderson, Bess or Buttler either..
Bess is unluckily as he is probably the one dropped rather than rested, Ali will have a big chance to prove himself again.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

C Milburn
J Jameson
R Key
MC Cowdrey
M Gatting
JM Parks (wk)
S Patel
I Austin
D Gough
E Hemmings
J Ormond

Seem to remember Ray Illingworth was a bit of a 'unit' too.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ali will have a big chance to prove himself again.

He's 33 and played 60 tests. How much proof do you need?

He is a mediocre spin bowler and inconsistent batsman. Indeed, the only consistent thing about him is his long beard.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Jimmy is special, so any side will be glad to not face him. Broad is a very handy replacement though - number two ranked Test bowler in the world (to Jimmy’s number three, and arguably better suited to conditions ). He’s also worth a few runs with the bat, if needed.

The other changes see little for India to celebrate, in my opinion.

Butler made a few, but Foakes is a superior player of spin, and a significantly better keeper.

Moeen is Bess’ equal as a spinner, and a better bat.

Woakes lacks Archer’s pace but is more reliable, and again a far better bat (though it’s difficult to think of anyone who wouldn’t be an upgrade on Jofra’s Test batting).

The fact England are ahead in the series, and would probably happily take three draws, means that the long batting line up has some merit.

7. Moeen
8. Foakes
9. Woakes
10. Broad
11. Leach

Is immeasurably stronger than:

7. Butler
8. Bess
9. Archer
10. Leach
11. Anderson

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Jimmy is special, so any side will be glad to not face him. Broad is a very handy replacement though - number two ranked Test bowler in the world (to Jimmy’s number three, and arguably better suited to conditions ). He’s also worth a few runs with the bat, if needed.

Butler made a few, but Foakes is a superior player of spin, and a significantly better keeper.

Woakes lacks Archer’s pace but is more reliable, and again a far better bat (though it’s difficult to think of anyone who wouldn’t be an upgrade on Jofra’s Test batting).

The fact England are ahead in the series, and would probably happily take three draws, means that the long batting line up has some merit.

7. Moeen
8. Foakes
9. Woakes
10. Broad
11. Leach

7. Butler
8. Bess
9. Archer
10. Leach
11. Anderson

Remarkably, Foakes has a higher test average and first class average than Buttler. And is a better keeper.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

7. Moeen
8. Foakes
9. Woakes
10. Broad
11. Leach

7. Butler
8. Bess
9. Archer
10. Leach
11. Anderson

I’m in agreement with that, but I’d caveat, dependent on what Moeen turns up.

On his day, our best spinner still and a very handy batsman.

On his poorer days, a walking wicket and an expensive bowler.

I’d love him to get back to his best, as he’s an unbelievably handy cricketer but at times has been a liability.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The good thing about this rotation policy at the moment is that players who come in do seem very determined to prove a point.

Moeen will know he is under pressure, but he does have a good record in India. Broad always loves to have a point to prove and Woakes will also be keen to make an impact as he's often known as a home track bully.

The toss will be vital really, as with the first test but there are some rumours the pitch being used is going to be a Bunsen turner, looks a lot more like it might spin early, that pitch almost looks like the day 3 pitch from the first test. C78E8C16-474F-450A-9347-EF96899035A2.jpeg

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Team Woakes.

Criminally under-rated and under-utilised all-round cricketer.

Not at all convinced by Stone, nor convinced that the Indian top order are at all concerned about facing quick bowling on these surfaces.

To be fair I know little of Stone, certainly not enough to be convinced or otherwise, one test against Ireland in which he did well and that's it. I think we just lump him in as another tall fast bowler like Finn, Ball, Tremlett, Rankin, but 130 FC wickets at 24 isn't to be sniffed at, and if he can bowl 90mph like they say he can, then I'm in. Seems a better option than Woakes on these pitches, on paper at least. If it's a rank turner than none of our lower order will score much I reckon, so go for bowling variety first.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
The good thing about this rotation policy at the moment is that players who come in do seem very determined to prove a point.

Moeen will know he is under pressure, but he does have a good record in India. Broad always loves to have a point to prove and Woakes will also be keen to make an impact as he's often known as a home track bully.

The toss will be vital really, as with the first test but there are some rumours the pitch being used is going to be a Bunsen turner, looks a lot more like it might spin early, that pitch almost looks like the day 3 pitch from the first test.View attachment 133755

Ali averages 42 with the bat in India, good, 10 wickets at 64, less so

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

The toss will be vital really, as with the first test but there are some rumours the pitch being used is going to be a Bunsen turner, looks a lot more like it might spin early, that pitch almost looks like the day 3 pitch from the first test.View attachment 133755

I see a small topping grass on there. Interesting. Stone will be frog marching Silverwood out there.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If England can win two matches they'll qualify for the final. If they lose the toss here it shouldn't be so bad. But still, it's one you want to win.

Stumpy Tim

Foakes and Alli are an upgrade in the batting department to Buttler and Bess, so I am hoping we go for Stone as raw pace is something we lack without Archer or Wood. England are a genuinely exciting work in progress right now. It would be nice to have another opener, as I'm not convinced Burn is the long-term solution, but we do seem to have so many options everywhere else.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Foakes and Alli are an upgrade in the batting department to Buttler and Bess, so I am hoping we go for Stone as raw pace is something we lack. England are a genuinely exciting work in progress right now. It would be nice to have another opener, as I'm not convinced Burn is the long-term solution, but we do seem to have so many options everywhere else.

Only problem is his lack of matches.

That said, that pitch has something in it. The more I look at it, the more I think there is something in it for the quicks. It looks a bit hasty does that pitch.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
England's openers are both walking wickets, and I'm not convinced about whatshisname at 3 either.

Spinners are dodgy. Why was Bess suddenly bowling full tosses, and neither are consistently accurate enough.

Pace attack is ok but ancient. If both Anderson and Broad are out, there could be trouble - everyone else keeps getting injured.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here