Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] India v England Test Series

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
The thing we appear to have learned is that variety of attack is important. Archer took a couple of important wickets on day 3 when it wasn’t doing much - he’s one of the few who can do that. Anderson when the ball moves is unplayable. But less effective when it doesn’t. Leach is great in 4th innings, less so first dig. And Bess is the equivalent of the old bloke you throw the ball to in club cricket who always gets wickets despite bowling absolute dross.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Unfortunately for me Archer disappoints and I would go for Anderson & Broad.

Archer rarely hits top speeds (Anderson was bowling quicker than Archer in India's second innings).and looks disinterested most of the time. If he is being used in short spells then he should be ramping the speed up throughout that spell.

People have been raving about his appearances in the IPL but whenever I see him bowl for England he fades in and out of the game. (IMO)

Yeh, if you dig out the test bowling averages over the last 5 or 10 tests, (however many you like) ... it becomes totally obvious that we need to select our best bowlers. Anderson and Broad

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
That is astonishing, an average of 9. It really is a pleasure to watch him bowl.

Sometimes while watching his bowling I just sit there thinking, "what on earth would you do if you were out in the middle facing that?" Although the answer is obvious...you'd get out.

Bit like my last Club Innings vs.a 16 year old fast bowler, 1st one I Gloved (Ouch), 2nd one off my thigh (also Ouch) 3rd inside edge onto my stumps.

Hey Ho I think he is going to be a bit useful as an 18-19 year old! :lolol:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Yeh, if you dig out the test bowling averages over the last 5 or 10 tests, (however many you like) ... it becomes totally obvious that we need to select our best bowlers. Anderson and Broad

I don’t think it’s as obvious as that, although there is a case for them playing together.

With two front line spinners, the balance of the attack is possibly better by having a Wood or Archer in the attack to bowl short, wicket taking bursts.

We’ve got Stokes as 3rd seamer and 5th bowler, so as harsh as it is on one of them, I’d leave one out.

Without a second spinner, I’d absolutely play them together. They remain our best bowlers by a fair distance, so hopefully a little rotation will help preserve them.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Bit like my last Club Innings vs.a 16 year old fast bowler, 1st one I Gloved (Ouch), 2nd one off my thigh (also Ouch) 3rd inside edge onto my stumps.

A few years ago I was bowled one Sunday playing back on an artificial wicket to a 10 years old. I should have known that it was a foolish shot to play. Or non shot. It just skidded at ankle height.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Archer rarely hits top speeds (Anderson was bowling quicker than Archer in India's second innings).and looks disinterested most of the time. If he is being used in short spells then he should be ramping the speed up throughout that spell.

Archer was considerably faster than Anderson - he hit Ashwin three times and was causing him all sorts of problems. India had the physio on in successive overs.

He's a bit moody but fast bowlers often are. You may be too young to remember another Sussex fast bowler but John Snow was like that: he'd have spells where he'd look like a medium pacer going through the motions and times when he looked like he wanted to knock the batsman's head off.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
He's a bit moody but fast bowlers often are. You may be too young to remember another Sussex fast bowler but John Snow was like that: he'd have spells where he'd look like a medium pacer going through the motions and times when he looked like he wanted to knock the batsman's head off.

As good an excuse as any to post a link to this essay about John Snow on the cricinfo site:
https://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1134499/for-the-love-of-snow

One of the reasons why Broad and Anderson have been so successful for the last few games is that the balance of the attack, including one of Wood, Archer and maybe Stone in future, means that they can bowl at the most appropriate time rather than them having to try and unsettle set batsmen by bowling bouncers or whatever.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

Sounds like he roughed you up a bit before getting his wicket.

Sadly as we get older I guess this natural order, the changing of the guard. At least it gives you an amusing story to tell.

A few years back I played darts against a kid in a league game, everyone was booing me on both teams (my team matess thought it would be hilarious if I lost), it was like Ted Hanky walking on stage with the whole place booing me. But now that 'kid' has gone on to represent England, so it kind of gives an amusing tale to tell.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Sounds like he roughed you up a bit before getting his wicket.

Sadly as we get older I guess this natural order, the changing of the guard. At least it gives you an amusing story to tell.

A few years back I played darts against a kid in a league game, everyone was booing me on both teams (my team matess thought it would be hilarious if I lost), it was like Ted Hanky walking on stage with the whole place booing me. But now that 'kid' has gone on to represent England, so it kind of gives an amusing tale to tell.

Probably getting too old (60) to face proper pace (as in I can't actually see the ball coming down), but this was a junior side so to last 3 balls was a little humiliating. He is good though and wouldn't be surprised to see him playing for Horsham or similar in the next couple of years.

What was worse was having to then field for 20 overs, was OK on Sunday, but Monday!!! :down:

Still love cricket but perhaps should take up Umpiring! :lolol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
As good an excuse as any to post a link to this essay about John Snow on the cricinfo site:
https://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1134499/for-the-love-of-snow

One of the reasons why Broad and Anderson have been so successful for the last few games is that the balance of the attack, including one of Wood, Archer and maybe Stone in future, means that they can bowl at the most appropriate time rather than them having to try and unsettle set batsmen by bowling bouncers or whatever.

That's a really lovely article, I grew up watching Snowy, was proud he was a Sussex lad.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Am I the only one that hates the Jofra stereotype? He’s not just a knock your block off fast bowler, he’s may not be as skillful as Anderson and Broad at this stage but he’s also 10 years younger than both of them, both Anderson and Broad have become much more complete bowlers as they’ve got older.

The thing people don’t think about is that even when Archer isn’t bowling 95mph the fact the opposition batsman know at any moment he could bowl a yorker that smashes stumps apart or bowl a bouncer that knocks your block off, is enough doubt to create not just chances for him but the bowlers around him and it means you have a more balanced attack. I bet if you spoke to Jimmy he would say he prefers bowling with Archer at the other end to any other bowler as it pins players back and creates the LBW and bowled chances.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
England fast bowler Jofra Archer will miss the second Test with India starting in Chennai on Saturday because of an elbow injury.

The 25-year-old bowled 30.1 overs in England's 227-run first Test victory sealed earlier this week and has had an injection in his right elbow.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Well, at least we can stop arguing now :lolol:

For me it still leaves the question as to whether you play Anderson, surely you want him for the day/night pink ball game? Asking him to play 3 tests in a row? I’m not sure about that myself.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Well, at least we can stop arguing now :lolol:

For me it still leaves the question as to whether you play Anderson, surely you want him for the day/night pink ball game? Asking him to play 3 tests in a row? I’m not sure about that myself.

If you have your foot on their throat why take it off? The pressure has already been partially removed now with Archer's enforced absence. Surely England won't go into the 2nd test without both of their leading seamers from that 1st test victory?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
If you have your foot on their throat why take it off? The pressure has already been partially removed now with Archer's enforced absence. Surely England won't go into the 2nd test without both of their leading seamers from that 1st test victory?

I totally get where you’re coming from but it’s a risk to play a 38 year old bowler for 3 test matches in such a short space of time. If we lose the toss we could easily be in the field for 200 overs and then we could be in a position where we lose the test and don’t have Jimmy for the day night pink baller?

If there was more than 3 days between tests I’d say he should definitely play but it’s not a lot of time at all, and we know Jimmy will want to play, I think he will play to be fair but it could go wrong.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I'm quite happy with the idea of replacing Anderson with Broad. If he bowled as well as he did over the summer because he was annoyed at being left out after one game, he'll presumably bowl twice as well now he's been left out for two.

Whether Anderson now stays in the team instead of Archer, or they bring in Stone to fill the "guy who hits people on the head" presumably depends on how the latter is bowling in the nets. If he can come in and bowl well then I'd prefer that attack to one with both Broad and Anderson.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Stone is the closest they have to Archer. The problem is he has played so little. Woakes is an option. I think he has a good record in India (need to check). EDIT- No he doesn't.

They say it will be a slow turner. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ali back in place of Bess.

Anderson is by no means certain though. England are not shy of making changes.

Screenshot 2021-02-11 180036.jpg

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I totally get where you’re coming from but it’s a risk to play a 38 year old bowler for 3 test matches in such a short space of time. If we lose the toss we could easily be in the field for 200 overs and then we could be in a position where we lose the test and don’t have Jimmy for the day night pink baller?

If there was more than 3 days between tests I’d say he should definitely play but it’s not a lot of time at all, and we know Jimmy will want to play, I think he will play to be fair but it could go wrong.

I'd be inclined to focus on the 2nd Test. Use Jimmy, go 2-0 up, it doesn't matter if he can't play in the 3rd Test as we don't need to win that or the 4thTest to win the series.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here