Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] India v England Test Series

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'd be inclined to focus on the 2nd Test. Use Jimmy, go 2-0 up, it doesn't matter if he can't play in the 3rd Test as we don't need to win that or the 4thTest to win the series.

The 3rd Test is our joker though.

Also, if England win three Tests they qualify for the TWC final. I'd really want Anderson and Broad together in the pink ball game..

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Just done a little stat. Since turning 30, James Anderson has taken 343 Test wickets @ 23.46

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Jimmy being rested. It’s more a job share with Broad than competing for the place.
Woakes or Stone undecided. I’d go for Woakes batting.
Moheen for Bess.
Foakes of course.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....rson-rested-for-second-test-joe-root-confirms

Interesting. A little harsh on Bess who has picked up wickets but is flattered a little by his wickets, based on his bowling.

I wonder if Ali’s selection is influenced by losing Buttler in the middle order and then wanting to pick Foakes at number 8.

I suppose it lessens the need for Woakes batting, so I’d expect Ball to play to offer the extra pace and balance the attack.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Interesting. A little harsh on Bess who has picked up wickets but is flattered a little by his wickets, based on his bowling.

I wonder if Ali’s selection is influenced by losing Buttler in the middle order and then wanting to pick Foakes at number 8.

I suppose it lessens the need for Woakes batting, so I’d expect Ball to play to offer the extra pace and balance the attack.

I haven’t seen much of Woakes since his century in 2018 v India, so admit I’m historically biased. I think you mean Stone not Ball? Time to edit...

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
PHP:
I haven’t seen much of Woakes since his century in 2018 v India, so admit I’m historically biased. I think you mean Stone not Ball? Time to edit...

Yes Stone, not Ball. Woakes is a fantastic cricketer and massively underrated, I just think our attack might be a bit samey with Broad, Woakes and Stokes as a pace trio in India.

An out and out quick, strike bowler is the way I’d go.

But with England 1-0 up they know what they’re getting with Woakes and he’d also make the best number 9 in world cricket.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
PHP:

Yes Stone, not Ball. Woakes is a fantastic cricketer and massively underrated, I just think our attack might be a bit samey with Broad, Woakes and Stokes as a pace trio in India.

An out and out quick, strike bowler is the way I’d go.

But with England 1-0 up they know what they’re getting with Woakes and he’d also make the best number 9 in world cricket.

You've swung me. :)
Stone has more attacking intent and adds variety to the attack, as you say. I'll be happy with Stone.

The Times of India are saying Washington Sundar may be replaced. Good we've swept ther bowlers into a spin. A fine young cricketer that we'll see more off. Also saying the new pitch is darker and more likely to spin earlier.

Hope Joe has a good toss in the morning.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The other thing to mention with Woakes is he's someone who can reverse-swing a ball, which Broad isn't as major a proponent of. Reverse was what made Jimmy so threatening in the 1st test.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...2km-run-fitness-test/articleshow/80873046.cms
[MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] 8:30 for 2km run for Indian Batsman and 8:15 2K for bowlers is a tough target, particulary for the batsman. Mike Gatting wouldn't have had a chance.

A Gatting, John Emburey relay team would struggle to beat 12 minutes.

In Atherton’s autobiography he mentions that in his first test as England captain, Australia were about 200 and something for 1 and he walked in to find Emburey having a pint of bitter.

Botham once banned Gooch from running, as it was bad for morale!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...2km-run-fitness-test/articleshow/80873046.cms
[MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] 8:30 for 2km run for Indian Batsman and 8:15 2K for bowlers is a tough target, particulary for the batsman. Mike Gatting wouldn't have had a chance.

A Gatting, John Emburey relay team would struggle to beat 12 minutes.

In Atherton’s autobiography he mentions that in his first test as England captain, Australia were about 200 and something for 1 and he walked in to find Emburey having a pint of bitter.

Botham once banned Gooch from running, as it was bad for morale!

Good job Rahkeem Cornwall isn't Indian.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Team Woakes.

Criminally under-rated and under-utilised all-round cricketer.

Not at all convinced by Stone, nor convinced that the Indian top order are at all concerned about facing quick bowling on these surfaces.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Team Woakes.

Not at all convinced by Stone, nor convinced that the Indian top order are at all concerned about facing quick bowling on these surfaces.

Woakes bowled absolute crap when I saw him at Horsham playing for Warwicks against Sussex a few years ago, couldn't believe he was contender for an England Cap.

Has obviously improved a bit. Not sure he will get many wickets in India but very consistent line and length means he probably won't go for many and as the Indians like making big scores quickly it will help the other bowlers.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Woakes bowled absolute crap when I saw him at Horsham playing for Warwicks against Sussex a few years ago, couldn't believe he was contender for an England Cap.

Has obviously improved a bit. Not sure he will get many wickets in India but very consistent line and length means he probably won't go for many and as the Indians like making big scores quickly it will help the other bowlers.

He struggled in India last time. But his position is the one weak link in that anyway. He might come good.

The feeling is that this pitch may turn from the start. So spinners are key.

It'll be a good toss to win.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Looks like Silverwood is going with my #319 team. We had a long chat last night. I'm trying to persuade him to go with Woakes over Stone. But worried I might get the blame if we lose though.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Team Woakes.

I think Woakes is very skilfull. I also think he's probably a bit unlucky that he's had Anderson and Broad ahead of him for most of his career, as otherwise probably could have been our first choice bowler.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here