Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

in 90 minutes have a 50% chance of being out of a job

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its a chance to get rid of staff who are not good workers/timekeepers/performers/ don't like company rules, no promotion prospects...etc

When it comes to simply cutting numbers someone is always going to be better than the next guy, NO ONE is safe...

I am just questioning why the said guy was made redundant twice in a year.

It maybe bad luck on 2 occasions but I doubt it.

OK dickhead, lets put you in the picture then.
Every department in the company had to shed numbers, and in our team, 1 out of 4 had to go. He was no better or worse than any of us, he'd had 1 days sickness in 3 years, he was punctual, cracked on with his work and got the job done, as did we all, and was highly regarded for the quality of his work and his reliablity. The decision was ambiguous, it could just as easily have been me or one of my other colleagues, and I've since spoken to the manager who had to make the decision along with HR, and he was gutted for him. It had to be someone though, and unfortunately for him, he dipped out. He'd been here less time than us which was probably the ONLY factor which could have counted against him.

So he managed to get a 3 month contract with another company with a view to being taken on permanently. After the 3 months was up, he'd done well so they decided to keep him on permanently and gave him a contract accordingly. Then in the summer that company was bought out by another one, the new parent company decided to downsize and restructure the business, and the office this guy worked in was duley closed. Last month, he was made redundent along with about 15 other people, and is now looking for work again.

There is such a thing as plain old-fashioned BAD LUCK. That guy is a good worker, a hard worker, and a good mate of mine, so have a little think before yuo start chucking round assumptions about circumstances you know f*** all about eh.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Sometimes it occurs to you that the country is better off without certain people living in it, this thread adds credence to that argument.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Easy! From the triumph of the Angels re-working to this! Switch off your PC and walk away.

:nono:

Sorry ?
If some twat decides that a good friend of mine is apparently 'expendable deadwood 'because he's been unfortunate enough to be made redundent a couple of times in this last year, I'm just filling in a few gaps to put the other side of the story over. Its not quite as cut and dried or as simple as Swindons ignorant, sweeping generalisations make out.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Its a chance to get rid of staff who are not good workers/timekeepers/performers/ don't like company rules, no promotion prospects...etc

When it comes to simply cutting numbers someone is always going to be better than the next guy, NO ONE is safe...

I am just questioning why the said guy was made redundant twice in a year.

It maybe bad luck on 2 occasions but I doubt it.

you really are a dickhead.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I think its bedtime in Manila now!

I do business with Manila every day of my life and they don't clock off yet. Just been on the phone to them, the westerners have gone but they are still grafting.

if they did redundancies out there on the hours people put in, then the westerners would be f***ed.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I do business with Manila every day of my life and they don't clock off yet. Just been on the phone to them, the westerners have gone but they are still grafting.

if they did redundancies out there on the hours people put in, then the westerners would be f***ed.

Would that include manilaseagull?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Well I'm a glass half full kinda guy today and I think he's gonna be just FINE, whatever happens. One door closes, another opens, and all that shit innit.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
erm - hello.

Firstly thanks for thre kind comments made by the majority. In true NSC style i am proud that this thread has degenerated into another binfest.

Anyhow - I need to clarify a couple of points regarding my position and how i find myself at risk. My role, and my bosses, within the company has been TUPE transferred (yesterday) across to another firm, who, in simplified terms, we were account handlers for. It is our new employer who is cutting us back to one role. We both have the respect of our previous company, its management and employees (we still sit in the same office as before). In fact they too are angry at what is happening. It is a truly shit situation - there is no 'dead wood' being discarded here. Only good people.

Yesterday turned out to be a day of procrastination and delay. I was not told if i would have a job going forward or not but that it'll be another week or so before i know. That, possibly, is a worse situation to be in than being out the door.

Rob.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
erm - hello.

Firstly thanks for thre kind comments made by the majority. In true NSC style i am proud that this thread has degenerated into another binfest.

Anyhow - I need to clarify a couple of points regarding my position and how i find myself at risk. My role, and my bosses, within the company has been TUPE transferred (yesterday) across to another firm, who, in simplified terms, we were account handlers for. It is our new employer who is cutting us back to one role. We both have the respect of our previous company, its management and employees (we still sit in the same office as before). In fact they too are angry at what is happening. It is a truly shit situation - there is no 'dead wood' being discarded here. Only good people.

Yesterday turned out to be a day of procrastination and delay. I was not told if i would have a job going forward or not but that it'll be another week or so before i know. That, possibly, is a worse situation to be in than being out the door.

Rob.

We're all, with one exception, with you mate. Good luck!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
TUPE is a convenient method in reducing headcount as the business taking over had probably factored this into account before making a final decision.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
erm - hello.

Rob.
Thats terrible mate, keeping you in suspense is well out of order, genuinely hope things work out ok for you.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
erm - hello.

Rob.

Rob

I've been there and know what it's like

Good luck to you (and your boss) and hope it works out well for you

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here