Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

in 90 minutes have a 50% chance of being out of a job

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sorry to hear that Rob. Its the waiting that does indeed make it even worse.
I was on a weeks holiday (at home) last year when the boss phoned me to say that they were making redundencies here, and there'd be a meeting when I got back (although no decision had been made at that point). Put a right downer on the rest of my week off that did, I can tell you.

Fingers crossed for you fella.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Sorry to hear that Rob. Its the waiting that does indeed make it even worse.
I was on a weeks holiday (at home) last year when the boss phoned me to say that they were making redundencies here, and there'd be a meeting when I got back (although no decision had been made at that point). Put a right downer on the rest of my week off that did, I can tell you.

Fingers crossed for you fella.
Did he really have to do that ?? bit silly if you ask me, he should've just asked the other staff not to menion anything to you if they spoke to you before you got back.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Good luck Rob, everything crossed fo you.

As for this thread, f*** Me, this site has become almost unbearable now, there are too many knobs on here. Honestly, I reckon if you started a thread asking the colour of orange juice, there would be a dozen or so posters who would argue that one.

I know it's a public forum, and I know it's almost always a wind up, but why should we have to put up with it? I am at the point of accepting this site needs a subscription. I would pay now for NSC if I knew that the cretins who troll, make offensive, insensitive and down rught rude and nasty comments, were removed. I don't mind silliness, an occasional pop at other comments and decisions, full and frank exchanges of opinion, but the crap posted on this thread, as well as on one or two others recently is beyond anything I care to read.

:getsoffsoapbox:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Did he really have to do that ?? bit silly if you ask me, he should've just asked the other staff not to menion anything to you if they spoke to you before you got back.

Apparently he did have to tell me, yes. A meeting was called at work while I was away to explain that there was going to be redundencies, and he was then obliged to tell me asap. Even though I was on holiday.

REALLY wished he hadn't though.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi

As for this thread, f*** Me, this site has become almost unbearable now, there are too many knobs on here. Honestly, I reckon if you started a thread asking the colour of orange juice, there would be a dozen or so posters who would argue that one.

I know it's a public forum, and I know it's almost always a wind up, but why should we have to put up with it? I am at the point of accepting this site needs a subscription. I would pay now for NSC if I knew that the cretins who troll, make offensive, insensitive and down rught rude and nasty comments, were removed. I don't mind silliness, an occasional pop at other comments and decisions, full and frank exchanges of opinion, but the crap posted on this thread, as well as on one or two others recently is beyond anything I care to read.

I think the good guys far out weigh the dickheads on this site, as this thread demonstrates. Good luck Rob

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God

If everyone agree with one another then this would be a very dull place.

ManillaSeagull does make a good point, but is masked by his insensitivy to Rob's situation. Redundancies can be very effective at removing deadwood. Looking round the office at the moment I can see quite a few that I would get rid off given the choice.

But equally redundancies don't always work like that. They'll often just get rid of certain posts or certain divisions without considering who they are getting rid off. That seems more like what is happening here.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Please bear in mind that on leaving the RAF (where there's no such thing as redundancy) Manila did actually work in commerce. However, as anyone who knows The Philippines will tell you, employment is a rather different matter than here.

10-15% of their population works abroad (that amounts to 8 - 12 million people) because the unemployment there is so high and of course they have no welfare system. The money that expats send home amounts to 10% of the Philippines gross nation income. Age there is also a factor as most companies won't employ older people, a walk round any Mall shows that. It's a rather different view of staffing to what we have here. I know several filipinas who who have children but as their husbands can't find work they leave the children with the husband and take on jobs as waitresses and cleaners and tend to see their families once every two years. It's not much like here, no doubt Manila will disagree with me but I do know what I am talking about.

Yes his original post was rather foolish.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland

That's one opinion.

But, equally, there are many of us who wonder why some users feel the need to share achingly personal messages with hundreds of strangers on a football messageboard.

(And let's face it, no matter how many people you know on here, there are many more that you don't know).

I'm not saying that users ask for, or deserve, abuse (certainly not Normal Rob), but if you write about personal issues on NSC, you can't expect only the kind of positive/caring/sensible responses you'd get from close/real friends.

You're going to get random comments and, perhaps, some you really don't like... just like any other public forum on the Internet.

(Good luck Rob, btw)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
That's one opinion.

But, equally, there are many of us who wonder why some users feel the need to share achingly personal messages with hundreds of strangers on a football messageboard.

(And let's face it, no matter how many people you know on here, there are many more that you don't know).

I'm not saying that users ask for, or deserve, abuse (certainly not Normal Rob), but if you write about personal issues on NSC, you can't expect only the kind of positive/caring/sensible responses you'd get from close/real friends.

You're going to get random comments and, perhaps, some you really don't like... just like any other public forum on the Internet.

(Good luck Rob, btw)

That's a fair point yes but surely common decency should prevail ?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
That's one opinion.

(Good luck Rob, btw)

Oddly I agree with you - i knew full well what type of responses my post could/would recieve. And as expected the positives have far exceeded th negatives. In fact i do not think anybody has posted anything (yet:lolol:) that I take personal offence too.

As for why I posted in the first place - I have been aware of the impending TUPE transfer for 3 weeks now and fully underwstood its likely consequences. I have tried to shield my wife and children from the majority of the distress but yesterday it was all too close. I wanted to let some of the bottled up frustration out.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Apparently he did have to tell me, yes. A meeting was called at work while I was away to explain that there was going to be redundencies, and he was then obliged to tell me asap. Even though I was on holiday.

REALLY wished he hadn't though.

Unfortunately that's true he would have had to tell you. It's all about timescales (you having notice ahead of the meeting being called) and doing all you can to let staff know as soon as possible that redundancies will be happening.

The example would be ... what if you were attending interviews on that week off, and on the Friday you'd turned down another job. On that Friday, if your employer knows you are facing possible redundancy but haven't told you, then by not calling you they've let you down.

Unlikely I know, but that's the reasoning behind the guidlines.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
ManillaSeagull does make a good point, but is masked by his insensitivy to Rob's situation.

And a completely ignorant and sweeping statement about Easys mate.

Manillaseagull needs to wind his neck in and think before he types. Not sure what he did in the services, but I bet it wasn't the Diplomatic Core.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Oddly I agree with you - i knew full well what type of responses my post could/would recieve. And as expected the positives have far exceeded th negatives. In fact i do not think anybody has posted anything (yet:lolol:) that I take personal offence too.

As for why I posted in the first place - I have been aware of the impending TUPE transfer for 3 weeks now and fully underwstood its likely consequences. I have tried to shield my wife and children from the majority of the distress but yesterday it was all too close. I wanted to let some of the bottled up frustration out.

A lot of us have been there and there was no call for some of the responses you got.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Wierdly enough, NSC, despite Superphil's concerns, does some to be a half-decent conduit for catharsis (I've used it and got flamed - hey-ho!), and I think the vast majority on here are sympathetic to your plight, and only wish you good luck and a speedy positive resolution in all this.

I'd like to point out at this juncture that I am one of the majority.

:thumbsup:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Good luck Rob,

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I just wanted to speak up for, what I believe, is the spirit of majority on here.

I posted earlier in the year that I had been made redundant, and I was quite touched to get many responses of good wishes from people that I don't really know. Whether that is odd, I'm not sure.

Also, there were several people who took the time to PM me to wish me luck and in some cases to offer help and support (I won't embarass by naming them). If you think that is quite sad to put any store on what people think, that I've possibly never met, then I don't really care - I have been on NSC for a long time, and feel 'connected' to many on here that I wouldn't know if I passed in the street.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I just wanted to speak up for, what I believe, is the spirit of majority on here.

I posted earlier in the year that I had been made redundant, and I was quite touched to get many responses of good wishes from people that I don't really know. Whether that is odd, I'm not sure.

Also, there were several people who took the time to PM me to wish me luck and in some cases to offer help and support (I won't embarass by naming them). If you think that is quite sad to put any store on what people think, that I've possibly never met, then I don't really care - I have been on NSC for a long time, and feel 'connected' to many on here that I wouldn't know if I passed in the street.
Are you back in yet by the way ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here