Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

in 90 minutes have a 50% chance of being out of a job

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
they moved the help desk to bank st, they hate it!!!

Personally, I preferred Bank St to Champagne Towers. Ok, the offices were not quite so nice, but it is much easier to get to the shops and closer to the tube - and well away from the brokers .... oops, sorry !

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
erm - hello.

Firstly thanks for thre kind comments made by the majority. In true NSC style i am proud that this thread has degenerated into another binfest.

Rob.

I know exactly wht you mean...!

Best of luck bud

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
OK dickhead, lets put you in the picture then.
Every department in the company had to shed numbers, and in our team, 1 out of 4 had to go. He was no better or worse than any of us, he'd had 1 days sickness in 3 years, he was punctual, cracked on with his work and got the job done, as did we all, and was highly regarded for the quality of his work and his reliablity. The decision was ambiguous, it could just as easily have been me or one of my other colleagues, and I've since spoken to the manager who had to make the decision along with HR, and he was gutted for him. It had to be someone though, and unfortunately for him, he dipped out. He'd been here less time than us which was probably the ONLY factor which could have counted against him.

So he managed to get a 3 month contract with another company with a view to being taken on permanently. After the 3 months was up, he'd done well so they decided to keep him on permanently and gave him a contract accordingly. Then in the summer that company was bought out by another one, the new parent company decided to downsize and restructure the business, and the office this guy worked in was duley closed. Last month, he was made redundent along with about 15 other people, and is now looking for work again.

There is such a thing as plain old-fashioned BAD LUCK. That guy is a good worker, a hard worker, and a good mate of mine, so have a little think before yuo start chucking round assumptions about circumstances you know f*** all about eh.

shame

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
You really are a CJTC!!!!!

All the best Rob, hope it's good news for you (unless you're inline for a whopping redundancy package. And being from Brighton we all like a good package occasionally. :)

Easy, hope your mate finds a job soon. I've been really lucky this year and avoided all the companies headcounts by moving departments in time to avoid them. Hopefully the market will pick up enough that there won't be another cycle next year.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

OK, not actually used this one before (which is saying something for this place), but I think this says it all.

:tosser:

Not sure I've really taken an active dislike to any of the posters on here. Congrats though, first time for everything I suppose.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Good luck Rob, everything crossed fo you.

As for this thread, f*** Me, this site has become almost unbearable now, there are too many knobs on here. Honestly, I reckon if you started a thread asking the colour of orange juice, there would be a dozen or so posters who would argue that one.

I know it's a public forum, and I know it's almost always a wind up, but why should we have to put up with it? I am at the point of accepting this site needs a subscription. I would pay now for NSC if I knew that the cretins who troll, make offensive, insensitive and down rught rude and nasty comments, were removed. I don't mind silliness, an occasional pop at other comments and decisions, full and frank exchanges of opinion, but the crap posted on this thread, as well as on one or two others recently is beyond anything I care to read.

:getsoffsoapbox:

to be fair, i can think of 3 colours that orange juice comes in :laugh: but i get your point.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
OK, not actually used this one before (which is saying something for this place), but I think this says it all.

:tosser:

Not sure I've really taken an active dislike to any of the posters on here. Congrats though, first time for everything I suppose.

me neither

Manila = :tosser: of the highest order

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
I posted some very personal stuff on here a few months ago and had numerous PM messages which have helped hugely.

It's the same old story of whether you let one dark damp insignifncant puff of cloud ruin an otherwise beautiful summer sky.

manilaseagull

Please bear in mind that on leaving the RAF (where there's no such thing as redundancy) Manila did actually work in commerce. However, as anyone who knows The Philippines will tell you, employment is a rather different matter than here.

10-15% of their population works abroad (that amounts to 8 - 12 million people) because the unemployment there is so high and of course they have no welfare system. The money that expats send home amounts to 10% of the Philippines gross nation income. Age there is also a factor as most companies won't employ older people, a walk round any Mall shows that. It's a rather different view of staffing to what we have here. I know several filipinas who who have children but as their husbands can't find work they leave the children with the husband and take on jobs as waitresses and cleaners and tend to see their families once every two years. It's not much like here, no doubt Manila will disagree with me but I do know what I am talking about.

Yes his original post was rather foolish.

For your info, nearly correct 11 million Filipinos work overseas thats 11 percent.

There is a welfare system here but its not the same as the UK look up SSS..

For a Filipina to work overseas as a cleaner or coffee shop attendant its their choice...yes the wages are better but the company I work at we have just drastically increased wages( even in the "depression") in order to try and retain good local workers. So far its working we have only lost 3 overseas in 6 months.

The reason that you dont see many older workers in shopping malls is the local employment law. every worker who works over 6 months is entitled to a 13th month wage bonus yearly, therefore staff are only given 5 month renewable contracts in shops/fast food joints ie places that staff can be trained in 1 day or so,
If want to see an average older staff go into offices, or higher skilled places of employment.

Thats a fault of the Govt and I agree its crap. But its not the only 3rd world country but its the one you happen to have a little knowledge off due to your GF..

manilaseagull

I do business with Manila every day of my life and they don't clock off yet. Just been on the phone to them, the westerners have gone but they are still grafting.

if they did redundancies out there on the hours people put in, then the westerners would be f***ed.

Mate

5 PM on a Friday is 5pm ie MOST GOOD EMPLOYERS KNOCK off.

by 530 our office is empty.

Now if you are dealing with a company that does business overseas (BPO) then they operate different hours to allow them to talk to UK/USA etc.

If however you are working with a small one man band organization then yes they might work long hours..

Dont tar all companies with the same brush..

As for the foreigners issue, a lot of the companies are foreign owned and therefore managed, a main reason we are here is because of the cost of employing staff, it is very cheap and the staff are very skilled, in a country pushing 93 million and each women having on average 3-4 kids it stands to reason there will always be a cheap labour force, thats down to education and the Govt. So before anyone who has been no further than Benidorm starts shouting foreign exploitation, where would this country be without foreign investment ie manufacturing, BOP, Call centres tourism etc?

Its only the foreign employers who pay higher than average wages,

As an example a graduate can expect to earn 12000 peso (£150) a month take home. we would pay that guy 18000 after 6 months probation.

The big problem here is the Govt and corruption but where in the world is there not a corrupt politician?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
thanks....

lots of crocodile tears around this thread, why would anyone post such personal information on an anonymous website and expect everyone to be sympathetic....??

apologies if I upset anyone with my comments, I agree they were insensitive.....

Very true.Some things are best kept to ones self.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
For your info, nearly correct 11 million Filipinos work overseas thats 11 percent.

There is a welfare system here but its not the same as the UK look up SSS..

For a Filipina to work overseas as a cleaner or coffee shop attendant its their choice...yes the wages are better but the company I work at we have just drastically increased wages( even in the "depression") in order to try and retain good local workers. So far its working we have only lost 3 overseas in 6 months.

The reason that you dont see many older workers in shopping malls is the local employment law. every worker who works over 6 months is entitled to a 13th month wage bonus yearly, therefore staff are only given 5 month renewable contracts in shops/fast food joints ie places that staff can be trained in 1 day or so,
If want to see an average older staff go into offices, or higher skilled places of employment.

Thats a fault of the Govt and I agree its crap. But its not the only 3rd world country but its the one you happen to have a little knowledge off due to your GF..

Agreed, it's not the only country with that problem but you seem to have absorbed the prevalent attitude down there hence your malevolent posts. It's a sad day when even Bushy has a pop at you though. Oh, FTR it's ex GF now.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
erm - hello.

Firstly thanks for thre kind comments made by the majority. In true NSC style i am proud that this thread has degenerated into another binfest.

Anyhow - I need to clarify a couple of points regarding my position and how i find myself at risk. My role, and my bosses, within the company has been TUPE transferred (yesterday) across to another firm, who, in simplified terms, we were account handlers for. It is our new employer who is cutting us back to one role. We both have the respect of our previous company, its management and employees (we still sit in the same office as before). In fact they too are angry at what is happening. It is a truly shit situation - there is no 'dead wood' being discarded here. Only good people.

Yesterday turned out to be a day of procrastination and delay. I was not told if i would have a job going forward or not but that it'll be another week or so before i know. That, possibly, is a worse situation to be in than being out the door.

Rob.
chin up mate, we're (almost) all behind you - let's hope Gus can put a smile on your face this weekend....

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Tupe can actually be worse but good luck mate, I have been in the situation where 5 go to 3 and not fun.

All the very best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here