Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

in 90 minutes have a 50% chance of being out of a job

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
For your info, nearly correct 11 million Filipinos work overseas thats 11 percent.

There is a welfare system here but its not the same as the UK look up SSS..

For a Filipina to work overseas as a cleaner or coffee shop attendant its their choice...yes the wages are better but the company I work at we have just drastically increased wages( even in the "depression") in order to try and retain good local workers. So far its working we have only lost 3 overseas in 6 months.

The reason that you dont see many older workers in shopping malls is the local employment law. every worker who works over 6 months is entitled to a 13th month wage bonus yearly, therefore staff are only given 5 month renewable contracts in shops/fast food joints ie places that staff can be trained in 1 day or so,
If want to see an average older staff go into offices, or higher skilled places of employment.

Thats a fault of the Govt and I agree its crap. But its not the only 3rd world country but its the one you happen to have a little knowledge off due to your GF..

Ironic that you find yourself defending your company and where you work from people who know little or nothing about it yet you choose to make sweeping generalisations about redundancy :jester:

As someone who was made redundant last year I found your posts highly offensive. In my experience employers don't tend to use redundancy to get rid of deadwood ( they have to be very careful anyway as it's the role rather than the person they are getting rid of ) instead they use it to lower numbers and / or restructure. In my case I was made redundant ( or my role was ) because the company I worked for removed a whole layer of managers directly below board level as the directors wanted "to get closer to the workforce". Here's hoping you never find out how nasty redundancy can be !!!

Rob - good luck. One piece of advice, make sure you know the redundacy process inside out and your company's handbook. Many HR Managers don't and so steps are missed etc. You then have a case for unfair dismissal. My employer failed to follow the process properly ( all minor things I admit ) and when I pointed it out I was able to negociate more redundancy money, I kept all my equipment ( laptop, desktop, phone etc ) AND, most importantly in my case, got them to waive some clauses in my contract that prevented me trying to get work at competitors and customers. It's called a compromise agreement and is worth thinking about - it might affect your job seekers allowance though so check with CAB.

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
Ironic that you find yourself defending your company and where you work from people who know little or nothing about it yet you choose to make sweeping generalisations about redundancy :jester:

As someone who was made redundant last year I found your posts highly offensive. In my experience employers don't tend to use redundancy to get rid of deadwood ( they have to be very careful anyway as it's the role rather than the person they are getting rid of ) instead they use it to lower numbers and / or restructure. In my case I was made redundant ( or my role was ) because the company I worked for removed a whole layer of managers directly below board level as the directors wanted "to get closer to the workforce". Here's hoping you never find out how nasty redundancy can be !!!

Rob - good luck. One piece of advice, make sure you know the redundacy process inside out and your company's handbook. Many HR Managers don't and so steps are missed etc. You then have a case for unfair dismissal. My employer failed to follow the process properly ( all minor things I admit ) and when I pointed it out I was able to negociate more redundancy money, I kept all my equipment ( laptop, desktop, phone etc ) AND, most importantly in my case, got them to waive some clauses in my contract that prevented me trying to get work at competitors and customers. It's called a compromise agreement and is worth thinking about - it might affect your job seekers allowance though so check with CAB.

offensive or not this is a public forum....not an agony aunt column..

manilaseagull

I think most people on here no longer care what you think

feeling is mutual, there are lots of keyboard warriors on this and every internet forum, who like to try and act tough with personal anonymous attacks, they would never have the guts to say what they say here (or any site)to someones face, therefore I treat every reply with a pinch of salt, yours included.

Have a good evening

Last edited:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Mate

5 PM on a Friday is 5pm ie MOST GOOD EMPLOYERS KNOCK off.

by 530 our office is empty.

Now if you are dealing with a company that does business overseas (BPO) then they operate different hours to allow them to talk to UK/USA etc.

If however you are working with a small one man band organization then yes they might work long hours..

Dont tar all companies with the same brush..

As for the foreigners issue, a lot of the companies are foreign owned and therefore managed, a main reason we are here is because of the cost of employing staff, it is very cheap and the staff are very skilled, in a country pushing 93 million and each women having on average 3-4 kids it stands to reason there will always be a cheap labour force, thats down to education and the Govt. So before anyone who has been no further than Benidorm starts shouting foreign exploitation, where would this country be without foreign investment ie manufacturing, BOP, Call centres tourism etc?

Its only the foreign employers who pay higher than average wages,

As an example a graduate can expect to earn 12000 peso (£150) a month take home. we would pay that guy 18000 after 6 months probation.

The big problem here is the Govt and corruption but where in the world is there not a corrupt politician?

you have to admit that there is a victim mentality there. they remind me of the paddies of years ago.

in my game they have been offered untold opportunities to progress up the career ladder but see it as a white mans job and get scared, no matter what expertise they have.

you know better than me, but in my now countless trips over there it seems the country suffers from a sort of mass low self esteem.

manilaseagull

you have to admit that there is a victim mentality there. they remind me of the paddies of years ago.

in my game they have been offered untold opportunities to progress up the career ladder but see it as a white mans job and get scared, no matter what expertise they have.

you know better than me, but in my now countless trips over there it seems the country suffers from a sort of mass low self esteem.

Agree 100 percent, not sure if its low self esteem or the fact they were colonial to the Americans 91 years(before that the Spanish 350 years) for so long its made them subversive in nature.

I know you have been here but wait for the experts who have been no further than Benidorm chip in

Last edited:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Lets just rop this shit now, and move on? Because some one is going through a dark period of time and probably doesn't want this shit.

Good luck rob, and as said before, lets hope good old gustavo will make you smile!

manilaseagull

Lets just rop this shit now, and move on? Because some one is going through a dark period of time and probably doesn't want this shit.

Good luck rob, and as said before, lets hope good old gustavo will make you smile!

Well done you just brought the thread to the top again,

No more from me...unless personal attacks carry on,, I can fight my own corner.

anyway its pub time soon

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Being retired is a plus these days, I have every sympathy with those who have either been made redundant or are likely to find themselves out of work. I wish for a quick improvement in the situation but the way our government has borrowed massive amounts of cash its not only sons and daughters you fear for but grandchildren.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Good for you Rob

(still feel sorry for the other bloke, it's sad when anyone loses a job)

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

To be fair, if I was going through a dark period the last place I would turn to would be an internet forum!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Haha! in your face other guy! Whoop! Go Rob!

Congrats, Rob!

(sympathies for the other guy)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I bet that's a weight off, congrats and all that.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
congrats, I wonder if it came down to money in the end, your boss presumably was on more money, and so unless he could do something important to the business that you could not (or that nobody else could do) he'd be the obvious choice. Of course, I am generalising.

Anyway, pleased for you, well done

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here