• Well....live and let live

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • No problems at all, leave em be

Votes: 21 22.8%

• Total voters

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I wondered who would be the first to post that Mr Partridge.well done. I hadn't heard that since school and I am currently lying on the floor clutching my aching sides

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
dave the gaffer said:
I wondered who would be the first to post that Mr Partridge.well done. I hadn't heard that since school and I am currently lying on the floor clutching my aching sides

shit sorry mate, must be the way I tell 'em;)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
got to be mate:lolol:

Ouch...they are still hurting:ohmy:

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Dear Alan Partridge

If your initial post was meant to show that British 'immigrants' behave this way in Spain then you are a little off the mark. For a start you fail to make the not insignificant distinction between those that have moved abroad and those that are on holiday. Permanent British movers to Spain take plenty of cash with them which they spend in the local shops and markets - this money was mostly earned outside of Spain. Even though a lot of them are in their later years they make the effort to learn the local language. They immerse themselves in the local culture. Yes, they do set up businesses to serve their own 'community' but they also employ a lot of local Spanish people as well in these businesses. Unlike most immigrants into the UK, these people are not an economic drain on the country they go to live in. Not only are they there legally, they are also widely welcomed by the local population because of the prosperity they bring.

Yours was a nice attempt to turn the immigration issue around at the British. Sadly it was inaccurate and wide of the mark.

El Spiros - Costa Blanca homeowner

PS - as far as aggression and violence is concerned, most of these immigrants have gone to Spain to escape the very same in England. They are mainly the victims rather than the perpetrators

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
nail...head

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Spiros said:
Dear Alan Partridge

If your initial post was meant to show that British 'immigrants' behave this way in Spain then you are a little off the mark. For a start you fail to make the not insignificant distinction between those that have moved abroad and those that are on holiday. Permanent British movers to Spain take plenty of cash with them which they spend in the local shops and markets - this money was mostly earned outside of Spain. Even though a lot of them are in their later years they make the effort to learn the local language. They immerse themselves in the local culture. Yes, they do set up businesses to serve their own 'community' but they also employ a lot of local Spanish people as well in these businesses. Unlike most immigrants into the UK, these people are not an economic drain on the country they go to live in. Not only are they there legally, they are also widely welcomed by the local population because of the prosperity they bring.

Yours was a nice attempt to turn the immigration issue around at the British. Sadly it was inaccurate and wide of the mark.

El Spiros - Costa Blanca homeowner

PS - as far as aggression and violence is concerned, most of these immigrants have gone to Spain to escape the very same in England. They are mainly the victims rather than the perpetrators

Spiros, read my reply to Set of tracksuits.

It was satire, a pastiche, a piss take

you said :

'Yours was a nice attempt to turn the immigration issue around at the British. Sadly it was inaccurate and wide of the mark.'

This was exactly the point I was trying to make about the issue of immigration in this country.

Still, I love the way every time someone pulls me up on something Northstander is right behind me 'em with a smiley. Enjoying the thread mate? :lolol:

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
alan partridge said:
Spiros, read my reply to Set of tracksuits.

It was satire, a pastiche, a piss take

you said :

'Yours was a nice attempt to turn the immigration issue around at the British. Sadly it was inaccurate and wide of the mark.'

This was exactly the point I was trying to make about the issue of immigration in this country.

Still, I love the way every time someone pulls me up on something Northstander is right behind me 'em with a smiley. Enjoying the thread mate? :lolol:

Don't be too harsh, this is quite an emotive issue for a lot of people, so when you start a thread like that people (including me) will rush to their keyboard and start furiously typing their indignant response without thinking about it properly, reading all the other posts or getting the joke.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Set of Tracksuits said:
Don't be too harsh, this is quite an emotive issue for a lot of people, so when you start a thread like that people (including me) will rush to their keyboard and start furiously typing their indignant response without thinking about it properly, reading all the other posts or getting the joke.
didn't think i was that harsh:(

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Ok AP, I'm probably getting drawn further into the 'satire' thing here, but here goes...

Your reply to Set of Tracksuits doesn't really answer my point, which is that (1) the British immigrants are taking money and work with them to Spain while our 'poor' Eastern European friends are arriving to try and get work and money from us (2) the 'scum' (as you call them) that sell beer and wine to the British in Spain are mostly Spanish while those that sell drugs and guns to Yardies in Brixton are mostly other Yardies (3) the British have walked into Spain legally through the front door while the illegal immigrants into the UK have come in through the back door/across the channel on a li-lo, etc. and (4) the British influx is NOT the factor pushing up house prices. Spain is experiencing house price inflation across the whole country, not just the Costas. As it happens, the British are either buying new builds or houses vacated by the many Germans that are leaving because of their declining economy and Spanish government co-operation with the German tax authorities.

If your initial poll was indeed satire I admit to being drawn in like Set of Tracksuits, but also think you have raised an interesting debate.

Last edited:

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Once again, I was taking the piss out of prejudice against immigrants in the UK.

(1) the British immigrants are taking money and work with them to Spain while our 'poor' Eastern European friends are arriving to try and get work and money from us

couldn't we argue that Britons are also taking Jobs away from locals? Or are all Britons on the costas retired? Also could we not argue that these 'poor' Eastern Europeans are doing the UK a service by doing many many jobs that British people simply won't. Are you suggesting that these immigrants are all greedily grasping for anything they can or are they just coming over to work and earn a wage?

(2) the 'scum' (as you call them) that sell beer and wine to the British in Spain are mostly Spanish while those that sell drugs and guns to Yardies in Brixton are mostly other Yardies

I didn't call them scum I was making a point that its very easy to label them as scum by lumping them in with the bad apples....mmmm where else do you see that kind of thing? Concerning organised crime, may I refer you to the article kndly posted by Northstander, crime is predominantly comitted by Caucasian British males in the UK

(3) the British have walked into Spain legally through the front door while the illegal immigrants into the UK have come in through the back door/across the channel on a li-lo, etc.

What all of them have come over on a lilo? This kind of argument comes straight out of the tabs, something I was having a dig at.

(4) the British influx is NOT the factor pushing up house prices. Spain is experiencing house price inflation across the whole country, not just the Costas.

Again, its something people say. I've read expat Brits saying the same thing. I've read reports in newspapers that have claimed the same thing.

My research into the initial points were not exhaustive. They weren't meant to be. But guess what many many people need hardly any prodding from nonsense reporting to despise immigrant groups into the UK these days.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
alan,

even if everyone else is arguing with you, i thought this was a really good thread which made a good point.

:thumbsup:

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
alan partridge said:
again, what crime wave??

Should we call Batman?

Funny thread Alan - but now your coming across as a bit of a twat.

Last edited:

The Wookiee said:
Generally dont have a problem if they try to mix and become part of society however what annoys me is when they slag this country off.

That bloke on Big Brother, Ahmed, who left his own country because of the problems their and came to ours, however he slagged off our government, the Royal Family and our country in general.

Now what right has he got to do this??

If he dosent like it, f*** off somewhere else!!!

A right to free speech.

Or aren't immigrants or black and ethnic minority people allowed this right.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
London Calling said:
A right to free speech.

Or aren't immigrants or black and ethnic minority people allowed this right.

Nope, however, us PURE civilains of the Queens good country can slag off the government, the Queen herself and the country as much as we want, because it's OUR country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here