Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Im not homophobic,BUT..........

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Re: Re: Im not homophobic,BUT..........

MidlandSeagull69 said:
now i'm no poof but i'll bet you like the rest of us want a new stadium at falmer? am i wrong?

so for gay pride to be banned or moved, sounds a bit like
NOT IN MY BACK YARD!:glare:

Not in my back alley.

This is a rather depressing thread really. How anyone could resent a minority making a statement that they are happy being who they are is beyond me. For God's sake!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
It is a big deal if you've been beaten up, or verbally abused, or had laws made against you, or generally been opressed in the past, "only because of your sexuality".

We now live in much more tolerant times, and that is the reason for celebrating.

Fair comment, however there are other people in todays society that are equally bullied, beaten up and abused but now dont celebrate todays more tolerent times.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
The Wookiee said:
there are other people in todays society that are equally bullied, beaten up and abused but now dont celebrate todays more tolerent times.

Good point. Let us then hope that asylum seekers (for instance) feel able to celebrate "more tolerant times" in the future with a simliar type of event, then.

(That'll put the cat among the bleedin' pigeons, har har...)

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
Very depressing reading indeed. I thought us brighton fans were a great bunch, but after reading this I think we can safely assume we have the same amounts of chav, no-nothing wannabee twats.
if it wasn't for the decent gay/ arty/ liberal scene in Brighton then we'd be another run down, antiquated seaside resort.
I think we should celebrate everything that makes brighton great.
I'm more than happy to laugh at opposition fans having a go at brightons gay reputation - I feel we should actively encourage the gay population of th city to join the club.
Anyway - hope everyone's feeling great and ready for tomorrows game.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
tricky said:
Very depressing reading indeed. I thought us brighton fans were a great bunch, but after reading this I think we can safely assume we have the same amounts of chav, no-nothing wannabee twats.
if it wasn't for the decent gay/ arty/ liberal scene in Brighton then we'd be another run down, antiquated seaside resort.
I think we should celebrate everything that makes brighton great.
I'm more than happy to laugh at opposition fans having a go at brightons gay reputation - I feel we should actively encourage the gay population of th city to join the club.
Anyway - hope everyone's feeling great and ready for tomorrows game.

:bowdown:

wilderabeast

Jul 27, 2004
The Promised Land
Right here goes i wait for a volley of abuse accusing me of being homophobic.....im brighton born and bred...yes their are lots of gay people living in brighton fair enough its there choice no worries with that live and let live...but why can't they just get on with it and being why do they have to have a fricking Carnival in brighton with hundreds of em mincing about....yes your gay fine get on with it why have a flaming carnival

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
All for it myself.

Plus we got a leaflet from the organisers aplogising in advance and offereing half price entrance to the circus. Not my cup of tea but nice to be offered.

Maybe Falmer residents could get 10% off season tickets or some free foam hands.

More could be done to clean the area though. The bin 'persons' and seagulls have made quite a good job on the park itself so far but surrounding roads still have a lot of crap (such as the surgical gloves by the bushes next to the Tennis Club, mnnn nice).

jg - A Straight Preston Park Resident.

D

Deleted User X18H

wilderabeast said:
Right here goes i wait for a volley of abuse accusing me of being homophobic.....im brighton born and bred...yes their are lots of gay people living in brighton fair enough its there choice no worries with that live and let live...but why can't they just get on with it and being why do they have to have a fricking Carnival in brighton with hundreds of em mincing about....yes your gay fine get on with it why have a flaming carnival
a like minded person yes some of you pro pride nscers explain exactly WHY pride needs to exisit.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I can't believe ( or support ) the amount of homophobic crap posted in this thread. Some of the statements are bordering on the illegal.

The thing that does annoy me though is the Council's funding policies. Fair enough help fund an event that generates so much for the city BUT at least treat all organisations the same.

Brighton Lions used to hold the annual carnival in Preston Park. Rather than help out the council effectively killed it by insisting on charging for road closures, police time, council permits and even the stand for the Mayor to handout the carnival awards from. OK the carnival wouldn't generate so much money for the city but the Lions do fund many projects for the elderly, ill, disabled etc. It seems council funding policy is purely based on trendiness rather than events that can help the whole community.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Brixton Seagull 2 said:
We, being basically the white straight population, have our own "Proud" get togethers avery Saturday at Withdean and at grounds around the country, so why can't the gays have one day of partying in the park? I also live right by Preston Park and think it's a good thing. We take the kids down there to gawp at the silly costumes for a bit, laugh at the ugly lesbians and take pride that Brighton is cool enough to stage such an event. So what if the buses don't run for a few hours, and there's a lot of men in sailor outfits about. If you don't like it, go and live in somewhere like Burnley where they probably hate gays amongst other minorities.

:wave: :clap2:

This thread has made me realise that many of our fans are morons; deeply stupid, ill-informed and laden with prejudice. I optimistically thought our fans were better than anyone else's, I now know I was wrong. Just over 60, 000 people voted in favour of Falmer, I wouldn't be surprised if far more than that voted in favour of Pride. It brings in more to the town than it could ever cost, raises the profile of the city as being a multicultural, multisexual place which in turn keeps the people like the thread starter and his BNP/UKIP mates out of the city. You are all as bad as the Falmer 'NIMBYs' suggesting that they go somewhere else.

Personally I love Pride and long may it continue.

D

Deleted User X18H

lost in london said:
:wave: :clap2:

This thread has made me realise that many of our fans are morons; deeply stupid, ill-informed and laden with prejudice. I optimistically thought our fans were better than anyone else's, I now know I was wrong. Just over 60, 000 people voted in favour of Falmer, I wouldn't be surprised if far more than that voted in favour of Pride. It brings in more to the town than it could ever cost, raises the profile of the city as being a multicultural, multisexual place which in turn keeps the people like the thread starter and his BNP/UKIP mates out of the city. You are all as bad as the Falmer 'NIMBYs' suggesting that they go somewhere else.

Personally I love Pride and long may it continue.

Out of interest what part of Brighton do you live in

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
hove born&bred said:

Normally I'd engage in some debate with reasoned arguments and not lose it, but not this time...

Hove born&bred you really are ignorant.

(Toned down so as not to offend legitimate morons)

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
hove born&bred said:
a like minded person yes some of you pro pride nscers explain exactly WHY pride needs to exisit.

Because after years of ignorance, intolerance and having to live their lives in constant fear of arrest, queerbashings and similar prejudicial treatment the gay community can at last celebrate the freedom they now have.

And before you ask where I live, it's Manchester, home of the Mardi Gras gay festival which is an even bigger chutney ferret and beanflickers paradise, and I take my kids there every year and the whole family has a great time as it's a festival so people enjoy themselves.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
hove born&bred said:

The first clue as to where I live is written next to 'Location:' The second clue is my name.

The point you are trying to make is however obvious, and I really don't want to have to sink to your level. Just because I don't live next to Preston Park doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about this matter and your grossly offensive and ignorant homophobic vitriol.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
lost in london said:
The first clue as to where I live is written next to 'Location:' The second clue is my name.

The point you are trying to make is however obvious, and I really don't want to have to sink to your level. Just because I don't live next to Preston Park doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about this matter and your grossly offensive and ignorant homophobic vitriol.

:clap: :clap: :bowdown:

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
hove born&bred said:

Here's one spin-off that every resident will benefit from - it generates between £4-5 million in extra revenue to the town.

And of course there are many many good reasons, including that it contributes to our society by increasing tolerance to minority groups who could, without such events, be treated with ignorance, the like of which has been shown by some posters on this thread.

D

Deleted User X18H

El Presidente said:
Because after years of ignorance, intolerance and having to live their lives in constant fear of arrest, queerbashings and similar prejudicial treatment the gay community can at last celebrate the freedom they now have.

And before you ask where I live, it's Manchester, home of the Mardi Gras gay festival which is an even bigger chutney ferret and beanflickers paradise, and I take my kids there every year and the whole family has a great time as it's a festival so people enjoy themselves.
OK thank you for that insight after re reading you post I can see that is a fair reason for gay people to wanting to promote themselves as much as any urban group and if they feel that the freedom that they get to do this in brighton enhances their lives and relationships then i can (although still somewhat begrudingly due to the costs to brightonians and the disruption caused) see that this is an important social event to a previously spurned social group.

What I dont like are people trying to intimidate residents who dont appreicate the disturbances this event brings and joksey what makes me ignorant.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This thread shows the intolerance of just about everyone on it, just with a different viewpoint, no?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here