Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Im not homophobic,BUT..........

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Protestant martyrs burned in Lewes wasn't it?

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
I was trying to make a point that us "straight" people have some pretty crazy, irrational, events in this county, bonfire night in Lewes being the main one.

In 1554 17 protestants were arrested and tried in Lewes for the crime of being protestants during the time of the Catholic Queen Mary 1. These men were burnt at the stake for their crime. The anti-Catholic feeling in Lewes began again in 1850, the year that Pope Pius IX, by the Bull Universalis Ecclesiae, restored the Catholic hierarchy in England. The hierarchy had come to an end during the reign of Elizabeth I, with the death of the last Marian bishop. Now the hierarchy was re-established with Westminster as the principal see. The Archbishop of Westminster became, in Roman Catholic eyes, the lawful successor of the Catholic archbishops of Canterbury. There was considerable anger in non-Catholic circles. The ill-feeling ran quite high within the Anglican church, some members of which feared a takeover, and also because within the Church of England there was the growth of Oxford High Church Movement - led by Pusey, Keble and Newman - which was active in Sussex, particularly in Brighton.

The fact that we still celebrate this in the 21st century seems crazy to me, to a Catholic this would be very offensive, yet no-one says a word about it. I don't see big debates about it, yet homo-sexual people have a party and people moan about silly string and the mess that's left behind. I was trying to show the double standards that run through some people. If that makes a moron, so be it.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
The Wookiee said:
Does anybody know what the crime figures were for saturdays pride festival?

No mention of any arrests in the press.

Are the gay community impeccably behaved?

Or

Did the police turn a blind eye to the drunkeness, drug taking lewd behaviour and indecent exposure, that we would of all been arrrested for had this event not been mostly for the gay people of the country!

i think clutching at straws comes to mind with your comment.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
caz99 said:
i think clutching at straws comes to mind with your comment.

No, it is serious question I am asking.

I am merely saying that there was no trouble or reported arrests where as if it any other event with that volume of people there would of been!

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
London Irish said:
Virtually every sunny day in any open space in Brighton is Straight Pride day. 364 days a year you see mostly Straight Pride among couples using Preston Park. Giving the gays one day is hardly so terrible, is it? Unless of course in some way this threatens you, but that's your problem to work out, no one else's.

Best post on this thread, London Irish. Spot on.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
smudge said:
Right then, I'm as guilty as everyone else for expressing an opinion on this thread. For the record, I'm not a big fan of Pride.
Also for the record I'm not a BNP member, (as accused) & I don't really think I'm homophobic.

But enough's enough!

No-one accused you of being a BNP member (at least I didn't), but I am sure that hey would welcome you with open arms. And as for you thinking you are not homophobic. Wooh-hoo! That's a good one.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The Wookiee said:
Does anybody know what the crime figures were for saturdays pride festival?

No mention of any arrests in the press.

Are the gay community impeccably behaved?

Or

Did the police turn a blind eye to the drunkeness, drug taking lewd behaviour and indecent exposure, that we would of all been arrrested for had this event not been mostly for the gay people of the country!

Yeah the police are big supporters of the gay community.

:dunce:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Meade's_Ball said:
Yeah the police are big supporters of the gay community.

:dunce:

So the answer to my question is: All 100,000+people were all well behaved.

why not just say that instead of the sarcastic reply with the dunce smilie?

Last edited:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
The Wookiee said:
So the answer to my question is: They were all well behaved.

why not just say that instead of the sarcastic reply with the dunce smilie?

Sorry. Sarcasm is often my way.
No offence meant.

No one could say that all homosexual people are saints, but as a community the message concerns tolerance of all people. And has been said before, Pride is a celebration of such tolerance, so why would anyone go to such an event with a violent or intolerant attitude?
I, personally, have never come across a gay person who hates all straight people. And long may it continue.

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
The Wookiee said:
No, it is serious question I am asking.

I am merely saying that there was no trouble or reported arrests where as if it any other event with that volume of people there would of been!

I agree, at the last big event I went to with around 65,000 people there were arrests left, right and centre...

... oh wait a minute, that was Cardiff for the Play-off final...

???

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Meade's_Ball said:
Sorry. Sarcasm is often my way.
No offence meant.

No one could say that all homosexual people are saints, but as a community the message concerns tolerance of all people. And has been said before, Pride is a celebration of such tolerance, so why would anyone go to such an event with a violent or intolerant attitude?
I, personally, have never come across a gay person who hates all straight people. And long may it continue.

I am not talking about violence, more lewd behaviour, drug taking and public indecency, all I am sure were a plenty in Brighton on Saturday.

Why were these offences not punished?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
lil ol junior and the rest of you stupids are a bit confused so let me enlighten as there are 2 issues?

Marching?

No problem with this as its about freedom, anyone can do it unless you wear an orange sash and a bowler hat, but then Governments tend to have their favoured causes to be bigoted about.

Snogging?

Well were does expressing love stop and lewd behaviour begin?

They can take it back in the closet as far as I am concerned, ditto straights, I dont ask to watch this and if I did I'd pay money to watch prettier people do it better.

I'm not a facist, I dont use loaded terms like "homophobe " to smear opponents and stiffle debate.

Your god has spoken, now lock this thread as there is nothing else to be saud.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
The Wookiee said:
I am not talking about violence, more lewd behaviour, drug taking and public indecency, all I am sure were a plenty in Brighton on Saturday.

Why were these offences not punished?

I don't know. I haven't all the answers. I would say there are likely thousands of incidents of people shagging on Brighton beach every month by people of all persuasions. I doubt the police see it as a problem.
But i don't understand what you are suggesting. A conspiracy of some kind?

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Wookie,

Well on lewd behaviour, I didn't see any - did you? I saw a few people kissing, but I see that most days. Drug taking - I saw fewer people smoking drugs than at most festivals I go to and was not offered to buy anything as I am regularly at Notting Hill Carnival or Womad, Reading etc. Public indecency - I did see a few buttocks, but again only as many as at your average festival or Notting Hill. I certainly saw no "front bottoms" :)

I know my evidence is scant as I was only one person in a hundred thousand, but if there were such "crimes" committed I am sure that these would have been treated with a softly softly approach by the police as they would at other similar events, whether those events were concerned with sexuality or not.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Re: Re: Im not homophobic,BUT..........

hove born&bred said:
I can afford to live in BN1 to and I am 100% with you

In response to Junior's post saying 'piss off puff's [sic x2] your [sic] not welcome'. Maybe not a vitriol but you're clearly not much of a fan of the gay community hove born&bred.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Thank you all for your comments and with the all that has been said I have learnt a great deal and if one thing has come out of this debate is:
Brighton & Hove City can put on spectacular events which attract over 100,000 people into our city without major disorder and disruption, which all involved must be applauded.

OK the pride thing was not everybody's taste but surely now lessons have been learnt from the excellent organisation and policing that going forward can only be a huge plus in attracting any other major event to our City.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
looney said:

Snogging?

Well were does expressing love stop and lewd behaviour begin?

They can take it back in the closet as far as I am concerned, ditto straights, I dont ask to watch this and if I did I'd pay money to watch prettier people do it better.

you want to stop people snogging in public?

blimey, you not getting much looney?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here