Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Im not homophobic,BUT..........

D

Deleted User X18H

Deano's Right Foot said:
Here's one spin-off that every resident will benefit from - it generates between £4-5 million in extra revenue to the town.

And of course there are many many good reasons, including that it contributes to our society by increasing tolerance to minority groups who could, without such events, be treated with ignorance, the like of which has been shown by some posters on this thread.
how will this £4-5 M benefit me or you
you live in the PP area you know how much your council tax rises every year

Last edited:

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
I can't really decide if Hove born & inbred is actually for real. Do you really think that if you weren't born in BN1 and lived there for your ENTIRE life you should be banned from watching the Albion? Guess that rules me out then, I was born in Shoreham and live in Uckfield. It actually seems to rule out about 80% of our support. I'm far more annoyed by this than any of the "let's go and burn some gay people" stuff that this thread is filled with.

If you like banging people with the same equipment as yourself and you find someone else who shares that interest, fine. If you want to have a big party to celebrate the fact that you like doing it, go ahead. Not for me though.

No, i'm far more normal. On saturday I spent around 60 quid travelling for a couple of hours on a train, sat and watched 22 men kick a ball around whilst surrounded by people wearing brightly coloured shirts, swore loudly at total strangers, drank over-priced pints of lager and watched my 11 blokes lose the match.
I'm looking forward to the first weekend of September when large amounts of people will parade up and down the high street carrying burning torch's, dressed up as Native Americans and pirates, followed by a convoy of lorries that have been heavily decorated to resemble scenes from films, historical events and such like.
Then on the 5th of November i'm going down to Lewes to join the crowds commorating the execution of some protestants hundreds of years ago. More people will parade through Lewes whilst holding burning torches. Then we'll all burn effiegies of the Pope.
All part and parcel of being a normal person in Sussex.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I think Albion's Falmer Campaign is missing an obvious trick!

With the obvioius exception of the pitch can we not announce that the predominant colour of the new stadium will be pink!

Planning permission will surely follow!:p

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
hove born&bred said:
What I dont like are people trying to intimidate residents who dont appreicate the disturbances this event brings and joksey what makes me ignorant.

What makes you ignorant - please refer back to everything you have written. If suppose if you knew you were ignorant, then you wouldn't be ignorant - just bigoted.

I wouldn't really like to dignify your arguments with a reasoned response. I'm sure you suffer from a great deal of intimidation from Pride goers, I do feel a great deal of sympathy for you. It must be awful...

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Icy Gull said:
This thread shows the intolerance of just about everyone on it, just with a different viewpoint, no?

Agreed, but would you 'accept' intolerant people with regards sexual orientation, race, sex, etc?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have no problem per se with the Pride festival. I think in a society such as ours poeople should be allowed to expres themselves as they feel fit ( withing the auspices of the law of course)

I have seen the pictures from the parade etc and hope that whoever went had a great time. It certainly seemed a great day for it.

The only think that gets me about it ( and I think it may be an age thing I don't know) but I do feel a bit uncomfortable with this drag queen stuff. I have never been into those sorts of acts ( Danny La Rue, Hinge and Bracket etc) and find that whilst dressing up is dare say, something everyone has done in their time, I just find it a bit distasteful.

Also, Sir Ian McKellern ( Gandalf) on Nicky Campbells show many years ago insisted that all males were gay really and are all surpressing it. That sort of statement does not really endear gay people in the way Pride looks to do.

D

Deleted User X18H

lost in london said:
The first clue as to where I live is written next to 'Location:' The second clue is my name.

The point you are trying to make is however obvious, and I really don't want to have to sink to your level. Just because I don't live next to Preston Park doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about this matter and your grossly offensive and ignorant homophobic vitriol.
Lost in London please quote as I have done above where I have made any grossly offensive remarks
towards homosexuals I 1st came on this thread at 1.07 yesterday afternoon.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
hove born&bred said:
What I dont like are people trying to intimidate residents who dont appreicate the disturbances this event brings and joksey what makes me ignorant.

Do you feel the same about Party in the Park, or the Chinese State Circus, or the firework displays at the end of the Brighton Festival?

WestdeneSeagull: Ian, the main reason that the Council stopped funding was because of the lack of interest the people of Brighton were taking in the carnival. Pride attracts (depending on whom one believes) 50,000-110,000 (the latter is the Argus' figure for last Saturday).

The Brighton Lions carnival, which had the same level of support of council input (ie there was council representation on both organising committees) n the end attracted no more than 2,000-2,500 in its final years, and the council could no longer justify the expense. (Although at its peak, that figure was always closer to 15,000-20,000).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I have heard that Ron Atkinson is planning a RonPride festival, and there are going to be lots of things for the whole family, such as face painting (white only of course), Pin the tail on the cotton picker, Church burnings and guess who is under the hood.

onil0111klan.jpg

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
dave the gaffer said:
I have no problem per se with the Pride festival. I think in a society such as ours poeople should be allowed to expres themselves as they feel fit ( withing the auspices of the law of course)

I have seen the pictures from the parade etc and hope that whoever went had a great time. It certainly seemed a great day for it.

The only think that gets me about it ( and I think it may be an age thing I don't know) but I do feel a bit uncomfortable with this drag queen stuff. I have never been into those sorts of acts ( Danny La Rue, Hinge and Bracket etc) and find that whilst dressing up is dare say, something everyone has done in their time, I just find it a bit distasteful.

Also, Sir Ian McKellern ( Gandalf) on Nicky Campbells show many years ago insisted that all males were gay really and are all surpressing it. That sort of statement does not really endear gay people in the way Pride looks to do.

Agreed to a point. I happen to love Pride, but just find drag queens not funny, and a little insulting towards women. Also, Ian McKellen's statement is purely to get a debate going. There is no way he can back his argument up.

D

Deleted User X18H

Ex Shelton Seagull said:
I can't really decide if Hove born & inbred is actually for real. Do you really think that if you weren't born in BN1 and lived there for your ENTIRE life you should be banned from watching the Albion? Guess that rules me out then, I was born in Shoreham and live in Uckfield. It actually seems to rule out about 80% of our support. I'm far more annoyed by this than any of the "let's go and burn some gay people" stuff that this thread is filled with.

If you like banging people with the same equipment as yourself and you find someone else who shares that interest, fine. If you want to have a big party to celebrate the fact that you like doing it, go ahead. Not for me though.

No, i'm far more normal. On saturday I spent around 60 quid travelling for a couple of hours on a train, sat and watched 22 men kick a ball around whilst surrounded by people wearing brightly coloured shirts, swore loudly at total strangers, drank over-priced pints of lager and watched my 11 blokes lose the match. ...........again I'm sorry I really can't see where I have posted such things what I would say is though Shoreham have a team Uckfield have a team, I know I once lived at 212b High street and also in Pudding Cake Lane in Uckfield not for very long though thewre was this bird you see............................
I'm looking forward to the first weekend of September when large amounts of people will parade up and down the high street carrying burning torch's, dressed up as Native Americans and pirates, followed by a convoy of lorries that have been heavily decorated to resemble scenes from films, historical events and such like.
Then on the 5th of November i'm going down to Lewes to join the crowds commorating the execution of some protestants hundreds of years ago. More people will parade through Lewes whilst holding burning torches. Then we'll all burn effiegies of the Pope.
All part and parcel of being a normal person in Sussex.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
I'm not an economist, but surely some of this would filter through.

Maybe Council Tax would be a few quid a month more without Pride. Businesses pay Council Tax. The more businesses that open up taking a lot of pink pounds the more council tax the council takes. Surely it's a good thing to have that kind of extra revenue coming into town for one day.

I went down with the family and had a great time. Kids had a ball, and I can't recall being at an event with so many people where the word "trouble" didn't even enter my head once. Not one person even hinted at any kind of aggressiveness, even with a small portion of chips costing £2 and a jumbo sausage (oo err missus) set you back £3 :lolol:

And yes my road was packed with parked cars for a day as it is for Party In The Park and other such events, and many gay, transexual & transgender revellers were around the area. So what - I get a bunch of rowdy football supporters in my pub every other Saturday also, but I wouldn't want to ban the football at Withdean because of that.

hove born&bred said:
Out of interest what part of Brighton do you live in

It's only of interest to NIMBYs like you whose only interest, it seems to me, is dividing Albion fans.

This thread doesn't really depress me, I feel Albion fans are still way more enlightened on this issue than any other groups of fans inthe country, and that makes me very proud to be a Brighton fan. The pisstaking response to the ant-gay chanting at games is getting better and more wittier all the time.

But yes, we do have our backward, homphobic idiots but I think much less of them than other clubs. :clap2: :clap2:

As another straight Preston Park resident, I notice a few people have raised issues like the slow clean-up operation afterwards and the bus disruption. These are legimitate issues but I find it odd that such issues are never raised on NSC after an event like Party in the Park which is far more disruptive. I have a toddler than plays in the park most days and it's certainly a no-go zone the day after the pop event too. I just hope people aren't using these issues in an opportunistic way just to kick the gays.

I notice also that many people who now realise that out-and-out homophobia is socially unacceptable now express their queasyness about gays by simply saying "why make such a fuss about their sexuality."

The answer is, go down to the beach on any sunshiny day and you will see straight couples wrapped around each other doing most stuff short of outright sex.

Virtually every sunny day in any open space in Brighton is Straight Pride day. 364 days a year you see mostly Straight Pride among couples using Preston Park. Giving the gays one day is hardly so terrible, is it? Unless of course in some way this threatens you, but that's your problem to work out, no one else's.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
"Then on the 5th of November i'm going down to Lewes to join the crowds commorating the execution of some protestants hundreds of years ago. More people will parade through Lewes whilst holding burning torches. Then we'll all burn effiegies of the Pope. "

Catholics, not protestants. Moron. :nono:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
The Large One said:
"Then on the 5th of November i'm going down to Lewes to join the crowds commorating the execution of some protestants hundreds of years ago. More people will parade through Lewes whilst holding burning torches. Then we'll all burn effiegies of the Pope. "

Catholics, not protestants. Moron. :nono:

Ermm, check your history about Lewes before calling people moron!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Right then, I'm as guilty as everyone else for expressing an opinion on this thread. For the record, I'm not a big fan of Pride.
Also for the record I'm not a BNP member, (as accused) & I don't really think I'm homophobic.

But enough's enough!

As Jimmy Hill says, let's get the ball out & talk about football...or at least Albion related matters.

Getting tired of the preaching on here now!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think Brighton and Hove is a better place for the gay community and am very happy that they have their Pride Day.

The small downside (homosexual litter and the inability to visit a public toilet that day) is far outweighed by the upside (net money into city, colour and spectacle, a community actually doing something).

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
I look forward to us all singing "Brighton boys we are here, shag your men and drink your beer" at the next away game.

Well done everybody

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Does anybody know what the crime figures were for saturdays pride festival?

No mention of any arrests in the press.

Are the gay community impeccably behaved?

Or

Did the police turn a blind eye to the drunkeness, drug taking lewd behaviour and indecent exposure, that we would of all been arrrested for had this event not been mostly for the gay people of the country!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here