Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm going to stick my long neck on the line - England to win Euro 2012

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Jermaine Defo has now had to fly home because of the death of his father. Firstly, how horrible and condolences to him and his family. But I can't remember a worse build up to a tournament.
Thought about starting a new thread but this board seems congested enough at the moment. New threads popping up every few minutes

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I thought Belgium could have scored against tbh. All the sides we're playing are better than Belgium and miles better than Norway.
When I did my predictions for Euro 2012 I had England losing to France, drawing with Sweden, and beating Ukraine, finishing second. But I'm not hugely confident about it.

Then we lost to Italy in the quarters. :moo:

I don't think for a second Ukraine are better than Belgium. We restricted Belgium to potshots from distance mostly.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I don't think for a second Ukraine are better than Belgium. We restricted Belgium to potshots from distance mostly.
Well, Ukraine and Belgium are probably similar level teams. We played Belgium in a friendly with a few players missing for them, we'll play Ukraine in a key game in Ukraine, so I'm not sure how much point there is comparuing the two matches anyway.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It does seem I may have to concede your point about Greece in the face of evidence trumping my fairly woeful memory! But even so, that is just ONE "lucky" winner in however many tournaments since, say 1966. The overwhelming majority of tournaments are won by one of the top 3 or 4 teams at retaining possession and making their opponents chase the ball.

It kind of flies in the face that a team as average as England "might just win it". That's like saying Wigan "might just win" the title next season.

I appreciate you've put it in inverted commas but I'm surprised people still consider teams are 'lucky' if they consistently have less possession and consistently win. Greece beat Portugal, a strong side and the host nation, twice in Euro 2004. They were deservedly winners of the competition for their team work, organisation and clinical finishing.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Anyone who thinks Belgium is a worse or similar team to Ukraine is talking out of their arse.

Belgium are a very very good team. Far superior to Ukraine and Sweden.

Oh and we beat them, as we did Spain :)

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Once he admits he was wrong and completely misunderstood my fairly simple-to-understand position.

So many people pretend to understand betting when they have no clue.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know I will be slaughtered but unlike everyone else I think we have a real chance.

The team is more together than I have ever seen them before and regardless of talent I think that is worth a lot.

Flame away!!!!! :)

We WILL get taken apart if we get out of our group, maybe even it, but if we play with spirit and look like we give a shit, that'll do for me. We won't be winning it though.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
BREAKING NEWS: Manchester Airport has run out of fuel tonight. Is there NOTHING Hodgson won't do to stop Rio getting to the Euros !?!?!?!?!?!

Classic! :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We WILL get taken apart if we get out of our group, maybe even it, but if we play with spirit and look like we give a shit, that'll do for me. We won't be winning it though.
I see it completely opposite.
We are more likely to get taken apart early, the longer in the tournament the better the team will play, assuming they are capable of following Roy's instruction.
IF we can scrape through the worlds our lobster.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
my accum for first 6 games

Football Euro 2012 Poland v Greece Full Time Result 08/06/2012 17:00 Draw @ 23/10
Football Euro 2012 Russia v Czech Republic Full Time Result 08/06/2012 19:45 Russia @ 6/5
Football Euro 2012 Netherlands v Denmark Full Time Result 09/06/2012 17:00 Netherlands @ 4/7
Football Euro 2012 Germany v Portugal Full Time Result 09/06/2012 19:45 Germany @ evens
Football Euro 2012 Spain v Italy Full Time Result 10/06/2012 17:00 Spain @ 8/11
Football Euro 2012 Rep Ireland v Croatia Full Time Result 10/06/2012 19:45 Croatia @ 5/4

87/1

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I reckon we can win the tournament with only scoring three goals.

Draw v France, probably goalless
Draw v Sweden, pobably goalless
Win v Ukraine 1-0 obviously

Win in quarters 1-0, from a set piece

Draw (1-1) in semis but somehow we win on penalties

0-0 in the most boring final the Euro's have ever seen, but we again win on penalties.

Lovely stuff. :)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I honestly have NO idea where people are getting the notion that we definitely wont get out our group.

If we played France in a freindly we would expect to lose. Fine.

If we played Sweden in a friendly we would expect to win. 3 points.

If we played Ukraine in a game we would expect to win. 3 points.

6 points, out of the group.

Now you get to the point where ANYONE can win a one-off game. Can we beat Spain on our day? Yep, did it a few months ago and Rooney would be back.

Then you get to the Semi's. The tension has risen dramatically. Hold your nerve, defend like Chelsea and snatch a 1-0 through an Ashley young free kick which evades everyone, creeps down the corridor of uncertanty and goes straight in.

We're in the final now. Anything can happen.

EASY
Eh? Have a look at how many times we've beaten Sweden in the last forty years and then come back and say you'd expect England to win. The Swedes see us as one of their rabbits, one of their banker results; they always expect to get at least a point against us as they know historically they've always been better than us.

... And that could be their undoing, because I actually broadly agree with your analysis. As has been pointed out no one here or abroad thinks we've got a chance, and footballers, despite what they say, always underestimate underdog opponents - especially when history is so much in their favour. Basically we're the new Ireland; our team is full of players who are by and large 'ok' premiership performers without being the real stars at the clubs they represent (Rooney the exception maybe but he won't be playing in the first two games). Togetherness and the lack of expectation could just see us 'do a Chelsea'.

Stumpy Tim

Eh? Have a look at how many times we've beaten Sweden in the last forty years and then come back and say you'd expect England to win. The Swedes see us as one of their rabbits, one of their banker results; they always expect to get at least a point against us as they know historically they've always been better than us.

... And that could be their undoing, because I actually broadly agree with your analysis. As has been pointed out no one here or abroad thinks we've got a chance, and footballers, despite what they say, always underestimate underdog opponents - especially when history is so much in their favour. Basically we're the new Ireland; our team is full of players who are by and large 'ok' premiership performers without being the real stars at the clubs they represent (Rooney the exception maybe but he won't be playing in the first two games). Togetherness and the lack of expectation could just see us 'do a Chelsea'.

We also hadn't won in Norway since 1966. I think Roy's experience in the region is going to be a major plus. I think we'll beat Sweden and Ukraine, and lose or draw to France

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Just a thought, but looking at the four games that have been played so far, it is fairly obvious that on a technique and skill level, the eight teams involved were a fair bit better than we are/will be. We have lagged behind for quite a while, as other nations have invested heavily in kid's coaching, and I reckon we will be shown up yet again as the spare one at the wedding...

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
Just a thought, but looking at the four games that have been played so far, it is fairly obvious that on a technique and skill level, the eight teams involved were a fair bit better than we are/will be. We have lagged behind for quite a while, as other nations have invested heavily in kid's coaching, and I reckon we will be shown up yet again as the spare one at the wedding...

Oh woe is me. How I wish the English were as technically gifted and skilfull as the Greeks, Poles & Danes. A couple of good points fella ruined by utter pessimism & bit of bullshit for good measure. Spare one at the wedding? Enjoy the game Monday

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
Why do England get loads of shite for being shite, but look at Portugal squad its class loads of top players but they struggle loads but seem to escape a slating

Portugal lack a decent centre forward. No end product. They may get shit from their own fans/press etc but nothing compared with the circus that follows our fair team around. I certainly wouldn't describe it as productive or helpful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here