Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm going to stick my long neck on the line - England to win Euro 2012

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You chaps and [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] have forgotten to bounce this thread. How odd. And yet you were so quick to do so after we got out of the group.

We certainly did better than I for one expected, but failed abysmally (as predicted) once we came up against one of the big boys. I'd call it a score draw between the pessimists and the optimists. We were probably the 6th or 7th best side in the tournament.

Eh? Where did I say we'd get any further than quarters? The point was people were WAY over the top regarding "no chance of getting out of our group" etc. Last night I thought (like most) that we had a reasonable chance of progressing, but not much more.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The football wasn't inept or turgid in the first two (or even three) games at all. We were only exposed as inept, turgid and limited after the first 20 minutes last night, which is not surprising as the big 5 or 6 nations are on a completely different plane to England.

Oh come on the Sweden game was eciting but the standard was poor. The ukraine game was aslo a showing of poor quality football. Technically we are not good enough.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Eh? Where did I say we'd get any further than quarters? The point was people were WAY over the top regarding "no chance of getting out of our group" etc. Last night I thought (like most) that we had a reasonable chance of progressing, but not much more.

Good morning Mellotron.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Good morning Mellotron.

Surprised your talking to me...still, it's the only thing I have to be smug about (the defensive performance was pretty flipping phenomenal, in case you didn't catch the game).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Where did your reasonable chance of progressing come from? Historically we have rarely beat teams better than us in the finals. And last night the best you could hope for was a unimaginative, ambitionless and defensive performance and a win on penalties....and we all know the flaw with this strategy.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We WILL get taken apart if we get out of our group, maybe even it, but if we play with spirit and look like we give a shit, that'll do for me. We won't be winning it though.

Whilst we drew 0-0 we were totally outplayed if not taken apart for 70% of the game. I thought we did as well as we could and I feel much happier about the way we performed in this tournament than in South Africa. I think the players can hold their heads up because we definitely did not disgarce ourselves. I know we are not good enough to win competitions so not too disappointed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Where did your reasonable chance of progressing come from? Historically we have rarely beat teams better than us in the finals. And last night the best you could hope for was a unimaginative, ambitionless and defensive performance and a win on penalties....and we all know the flaw with this strategy.

Actually, scratch this. The sun is shining and I'm not in the mood for it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Surprised your talking to me...still, it's the only thing I have to be smug about (the defensive performance was pretty flipping phenomenal, in case you didn't catch the game).

You have good musical knowledge so I will always talk to you.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Whilst we drew 0-0 we were totally outplayed if not taken apart for 70% of the game. I thought we did as well as we could and I feel much happier about the way we performed in this tournament than in South Africa. I think the players can hold their heads up because we definitely did not disgarce ourselves. I know we are not good enough to win competitions so not too disappointed.
This sums up my feelings nicely.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Good post.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Everyone just thank your lucky stars you're BRIGHTON fans. Imagine watching that then having to go back to supporting Blackburn or Stoke or some other dullards.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] - have you seen Drive? The soundtrack is really good.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
At least Roy managed to get them playing as a team, albeit in a herioc last gasp "Alamo" defensive manner for most of last night. If he can only find some decent players we may do better in Brazil, without Rooney with a bit of luck, since he doesn't try in tournaments.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The football wasn't inept or turgid in the first two (or even three) games at all. We were only exposed as inept, turgid and limited after the first 20 minutes last night, which is not surprising as the big 5 or 6 nations are on a completely different plane to England.
The football was the same in every game, it's just that Italy were the best team we played against.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I think this is known as the BALDRICK approach to tournament success for England.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I think this is known as the BALDRICK approach to tournament success for England.

BALLBAG...more like,fucksake cant believe you'd find that gash acceptable ........combine them fuckers weekly wages and you'd have close to the gdp of a town like lancing ,billingshurst or angmerring .......not f***ing good enough ,and i don't mean my spelling either.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You chaps and [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] have forgotten to bounce this thread. How odd. And yet you were so quick to do so after we got out of the group.

We certainly did better than I for one expected, but failed abysmally (as predicted) once we came up against one of the big boys. I'd call it a score draw between the pessimists and the optimists. We were probably the 6th or 7th best side in the tournament.

I'm sorry? I haven't ONCE posted on this thread yet you decide (funnily the day after we go out) to 'mention' me?! I stay away from NSC on the whole when it's England talk as I am a supporter of my Country and don't like the attitudes. This is a fine example - a poster like you (despite i see having egg all over your face with the previous predictions of failure) trying to bask in our going out to point score. Do me a favour.

For what it's worth I thought we had a good tourno all in all with the circumstances and lack of preparation etc. To remain unbeaten having played Italy and france is very good. I admit we were second best last night but fought bravely and most importantly gave our all and stuck together. Most definately one for the 'optimists' this tourno. Funny how you and others were all 'England this, England that' until we're out. Laughable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here