Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm cancelling my Argus subscription as from now

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
The circulation of the Argus has declined rapidly in the last three years. This year the publication has become even more loathsome. The relentless attacks and deliberate twists on everything the Greens have done in Brighton (simply to engineer a troll feeding frenzy), the dangerous attacks on travellers (whatever you think of them) are the tip of the iceberg of cheap tabloid style sensationalism in the desperate hope to boost sales.
Today was inevitable, they just couldn't help themselves. This town has been devoid of quality journalism for quite a while. I would love to see the Argus dead and buried as it has no real local connection now anyway.
Let's hope something better emerges soon.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
bombard the editor 'editor@theargus.co.uk' with e-mails demanding they apologise to at least the club. I know how much i hate receiving so many e-mails on a monday morning, it will waste so much of his time, he may just do it. Just remember to make the title sound intresting so he has to open it.

done

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No, seeing as JV was a sports writer, AT was more of a features writer, not hands on "News Desk" staff, what you see on the front of the paper is from the news desk, not the features or sports desks.

AT has been the victim of "devious" reporting himself, just last year he was dragged through the tabloids due to actions of a family member...why would they bring his name up, when he did nothing, but to add some extra spice to the story.

It is the same approach the Argus News Desk and Editor have used with the BHA link, it makes for a "better selling" story.

Not needed on either counts, but is the tried and tested path for all scandal reporting.

Thank you for stating what everyone knew that AT & JV were not front page 'news' :lol: headline writing journalists :lol: .

The point was very clear .. would they stoop so low as the creators of today's sneaky Argus headline?

And the Argus might be far lower staffed in terms of 'journalists and reporters' than folk realise.

Many times over years, me and others have seen mass Police car chases, or fights in the City .... have purchased the Argus for the next couple of days; and nowt reported. A decent paper would have a reporter or 2 working out of hours, and keep in contact with the Courts and Sx Police on breaking stories.

They have shrunk in a big way, and for c. 20 years have covered this up by 'stocking filling' many 'news' pages and the inner supplement, with bought-in national articles.

Slowly dying rag.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Bombard the editor 'editor@theargus.co.uk' with e-mails demanding they apologise to at least the club. I know how much I hate receiving so many e-mails on a Monday morning, it will waste so much of his time, he may just do it. Just remember to make the title sound intresting so he has to open it.

Done

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bombard the editor 'editor@theargus.co.uk' with e-mails demanding they apologise to at least the club. I know how much I hate receiving so many e-mails on a Monday morning, it will waste so much of his time, he may just do it. Just remember to make the title sound intresting so he has to open it.

Will the arrogant twat just keep pressing delete?

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
Thank you for stating what everyone knew that AT & JV were not front page 'news' :lol: headline writing journalists :lol:
The point was very clear .. would they stoop so low as the creators of today's sneaky Argus headline?

I never said they were not important and respected journos my friend, I was merely stating their roles in the paper, the specific departments and how the process works.

Journalists do not write the headlines...they write the story, the subs and editor decide how to represent those words. Many a writer has opened a paper to see their words twisted and mis represented.

In this case the writer and editor in question are out for short term glory, which has come across very distastefully, the story written is in the hands of the subs (which no longer work at the office in Hollingbury, which would take away any local personal thinking), therefore AT and JV and even AN "stooping low" is not a valid question.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I imagine the club previously had a good relationship with The Argus judging by the big booth they had and promo material at the Withdean. Similarly the smaller booths at the Amex. If the club doesn`t see fit to ban them from the little booths at the Amex, then perhaps we fans should simply refuse to buy any papers at the booths. Best to hit them in the pocket to make them realise they have overstepped the mark and bitten the hand that feeds them.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
This is the link posted on the other thread.

ImageShack - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Just seen the Argus front page, I'm sorry to swear but what a f***ing DISGRACE. Using the Albion logo as a bullet point to the players name in bold blue ??? And they say that their just printing the facts??? Absolute arseholes. What if they're all innocent, this taint never goes away. I live in Essex but always buy an Argus for Albion news when I come home to Brighton, NEVER AGAIN. Gutter press at it's worst, why not go the whole hog Argus and name the alleged victim as well.

Sent by Derek Achora via the spirit world.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Have to say I think it was incredibly stupid having a front cover like that for another reason. Having a "named inside" type front would have encouraged people (many of whom who feel shy about flicking through papers in newsagents) to actually buy the bloody thing, whereas what they had meant curious people could just glance at the cover and know all they needed to. Argus muppets.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I think a boycott would be good.

What also would be good is if we decided on a question/statement, and as many of us go online on Andy Naylor Q&As on Tuesday and completely bombared it with the same question/statement over and over again and basically f*** the whole session up. Maybe they would like to print a story about that as well. If not they might get the message about how out of order they have been

As for the Argus, I wouldn't worry too much about bringing it too its knees.

An ever increasing price, with an ever decreasing page/story count..................

Let nature take its course. It can't have much life left in it until its put out of its misery.

Get a thread going on here of the argus stories, so no one has to visit their site, as I am sure the advertising revenue that raises with all the hits they get of Albion fans, must be an ever increasing chuck of their income.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
The news editor was actually a mate of mine at school.

I am surprised and disappointed that he allowed this headline to be published along with the accompanying images.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm cancelling my male dominatrix sessions with Naylor as from now ... it's just wrong to carry on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here