Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm cancelling my Argus subscription as from now

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
This is the link posted on the other thread.

ImageShack - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Jesus Christ,,,I heard it was on the front page of the Argus(it doesn't reach as far out as Tunbridge Wells) but I never dream't it would look like that. I just thought they would be named in the story. Not in bold letter's like that..What happened to the privacy law?...If I was Elphick I'd sue the arse off them and as for what the club thinks....Don't get me wrong, if the players in question are proved gulity then I think the club should terminate their contracts with immediate effect. But that front page is f***ing out of order.....I'm in shock!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Whatever the facts of this case, and if these players are guilty then they should be brought to justice.

I found the Argus front page to be totally distasteful and inappropriate. Printing the (yet to be found guilty) players names is one thing, but interspersing the names with the Albion logo is just gratuitous and crass, and whoever sanctioned this vile sub-tabloid shit stirring should be sacked.

There are many young kids out there who love the albion and will see the Albion logo on the front page and ask their parents what the story is all about.

I am now happy to join the many of you on NSC who think the Argus is shit. Yes, you are right, and I will cancel my subscription from tonight.

You are spot on, regarding the Argus choice of words:
Even the London tabloids are very careful (and if they get it wrong e.g. Jo Yeates's landlord, everyone is on the them like a ton of bricks).

The Argus in effect have jumped the gun, by stating very loudly "accused" ... they really mean that the female has said that she was a victim, to the Police.

The term accused in legal process is normally reported at a later stage if and when the Police & CPS agree to formally charge.

Awfully sly journalism to make the most of this local story.

What you will miss is Naylor giving everyone a 6 to 9 out of 10 no matter how poorly they play. No loss to you.

The rag is in its last years anyway. It is accepted that small cities cannot sustain a daily paper due to the internet, and the rag will disappear.

D

Deleted member 2719

We stop buying national papers 10 years ago and stop buying the argus when i realised Naylor was no different to the rest. I only like FACTS not speculation as that is for the gossip girls who are always twitching the curtains.

I hope that this cost the Argus and they learn by it.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
I rarely bought the pile of shite anyway, but certainly won't from now onwards.

To name the players is one thing, and if it was done in a certain manner then I may have been able to accept it. With what they printed on the front page today I hope the club end all relations from now onwards.

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
This Argus is satisfying the wider society. Football fans should not forget that many many people dislike or even hate football (in part due to it's exposure) and some of those people love anything that shows football in a bad light. It's fodder for these type. I have read said paper and have little interest in what they say.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This Argus is satisfying the wider society. Football fans should not forget that many many people dislike or even hate football (in part due to it's exposure) and some of those people love anything that shows football in a bad light. It's fodder for these type. I have read said paper and have little interest in what they say.

Don't decent newspapers save the "accused" headline until when the Police & CPS accuse defendants? Not when the Police are only interviewing witnesses/suspects.

Cheap 'journalism'.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Do the argus get revenue from the links provided in newshound?

If so maybe it should be considered to suspend the links as I bet they get a substantial amount of hits as a result.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We stop buying national papers 10 years ago and stop buying the argus when i realised Naylor was no different to the rest. I only like FACTS not speculation as that is for the gossip girls who are always twitching the curtains.

I hope that this cost the Argus and they learn by it.

Sold a few extra today with their cheap shot, but in the long term the rag is dying.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
maybe a few ppl who shop at asda in hollingbury might like to personaly return any old copy,s of the argus to their offices
Argus House,

Crowhurst Road,

Hollingbury,

Brighton BN1 8AR
or nip along and sing em a few songs:albion2:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Obviously people feel strongly about the Argus but let's not forget they fully supported the Stadium application and many good articles were written in support of it. I suppose their job is to sell newspapers.

If a paedo (suspected) had been outed in this bold fashion before his/her day in court or even a charge had been brought, would there have been this much angst? I doubt it. I'm of the thought that papers shouldn't be allowed to print peoples names before a conviction/guilty plea of any allegation.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Obviously people feel strongly about the Argus but let's not forget they fully supported the Stadium application and many good articles were written in support of it. I suppose their job is to sell newspapers.

If a paedo (suspected) had been outed in this bold fashion before his/her day in court or even a charge had been brought, would there have been this much angst? I doubt it. I'm of the thought that papers shouldn't be allowed to print peoples names before a conviction/guilty plea of any allegation.

And if the said paedo (suspected) had been a Brighton STH, would they have been able to resist using the club logo to court controversy?

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Notice how on the front page they were careful that the AMEX logo wasn't visible on the East stand! yet its OK for them to use the ALBION logo.

There highest circulation day must be a Monday!!! why the hell do they think that is!!!

IF THE CLUB DO NOT RECIEVE AN APOLOGY......THEN BAN THEM FROM THE STADIUM!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

In agreement-i have no further comment on this very unfortunate issue.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

But they made a great blunder today. Sell newspapers AT ALL COSTS? No journalistic class or ethics.

Wonder if Trimingham or Vinnicombe would have been so devious?

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
In agreement-i have no further comment on this very unfortunate issue.
did you not read the two posts above yours before you sent it ?
if a tesco employee is charged with a sexual offence in town somewhere would the argus use the whole front page to display a tesco store and the logo

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I'm happy to be shot down, yes the front page is over the top but all they are doing is trying to sell papers in a climate where paper sales are down. They are just reporting on the facts in front of them there are no lies or speculation just the facts released by the police.

Is that so wrong?

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Any loose stools or hate mail should be made payable to Newsquest Intl PLC, Southampton, PO Box...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here