Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm cancelling my Argus subscription as from now

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
did you not read the two posts above yours before you sent it ?
if a tesco employee is charged with a sexual offence in town somewhere would the argus use the whole front page to display a tesco store and the logo

Just for u and then no further comment-NO to the first part-Anything is possible in this modern world we live and would be of no surprise.

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
But they made a great blunder today. Sell newspapers AT ALL COSTS? No journalistic class or ethics.

Wonder if Trimingham or Vinnicombe would have been so devious?

No, seeing as JV was a sports writer, AT was more of a features writer, not hands on "News Desk" staff, what you see on the front of the paper is from the news desk, not the features or sports desks.

AT has been the victim of "devious" reporting himself, just last year he was dragged through the tabloids due to actions of a family member...why would they bring his name up, when he did nothing, but to add some extra spice to the story.

It is the same approach the Argus News Desk and Editor have used with the BHA link, it makes for a "better selling" story.

Not needed on either counts, but is the tried and tested path for all scandal reporting.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It's even made the Birmingham Mail today - half a page but very circumspect with no names and extremely careful to emphasise terms such as "alleged" and "being questioned"

Perhaps our local paper can still afford to pay a lawyer to vet articles before it publishes?

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Let's get this right. This wasn't the sports team, this was some no mark hack named EMILY WALKER (maybe the second 'L' should be replaced). Jeeeezzz, and she's the chief reporter. I foresee a career on the Mail or Express for her.

I wonder if the the rag will be selling on the concourse next Saturday?

Shocking, shocking 'journalism'.

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
Let's get this right. This wasn't the sports team, this was some no mark hack named EMILY WALKER (maybe the second 'L' should be replaced). Jeeeezzz, and she's the chief reporter. I foresee a career on the Mail or Express for her. Shocking, shocking 'journalism'.

Exactly this point, well said sir.

She, as many before her, will use this time at the Argus as a stepping stone to a bigger gig, this will look great on her CV, the sports, features, entertainment bodies tend to be longer serving, job specific people...the news desk verses the rest of the paper, have different agendas.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
I hope the club bans them for a season. Fergie done it for longer with the Beeb.

I read it this morning. No longer buying the paper. Talk about shitting on your own doorstep.

GM98

Sep 6, 2008
Shoreham
Bombard the editor 'editor@theargus.co.uk' with e-mails demanding they apologise to at least the club. I know how much I hate receiving so many e-mails on a Monday morning, it will waste so much of his time, he may just do it. Just remember to make the title sound intresting so he has to open it.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], considering the clout of this forum and it's readership, is there any chance of contacting the Argus to get a representative to spend some time on the forum? Maybe open a temporary "Ask... from the Argus" forum for all questions and complaints to be aired? I think what the Argus have done is a complete disgrace, but they're still a reasonable source of news and info about the club and don't think 1 incident is enough justification to give up on them altogether. Any chance of anything like this happening?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Tommy Elphick has absolutely NO grounds to sue. The Argus reported the facts, nothing more. I don't remember an outcry like this when Steven Gerrard or Lee Barnard were nicked for assault.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Goodness gracious the Argus go for boosting short term sales over long term journalistic integrity (which usually results in long term loyalty from readers). Why are any of you suprised.

Bad paper (and I mean the stuff its printed on), dreadful font, banal colours and journalists who don't have a linguistic bone in their bodies. I'd quite like to buy the rag one day. Would be fun clearing the decks and inviting the million or so people who grace our beautiful city (ok so rounded up a bit) to write something meaningful by way of jounalistic replacement.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
It is to be hoped and expected that the paper tomorrow will run a prominent story saying that Tommy has been entirely exonerated by the police investigation. And that they'll do the same when as and when others are released (let's hope so). Reporting the facts.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Just sent this to the editor:

Re: Your Front Page Today

I'm not entirely sure what you were thinking of when you decided that this was a good idea, I'd like to know. Using the picture of our beautiful new stadium and the clubs logo to accompany your revelation was at best irresponsible. Have you any idea how many parents have had to explain to their Albion supporting children what that front page is all about? I have been an Argus supporter and subscriber for many years but my support ends now. I have cancelled my subscription and I will never buy your paper again. Your sub-tabloid scurillous and shamefull exploitation of this regrettable (alleged) story is a bllght on your papers history. Regardless of my decision, I do hope that you will have the good grace and decency to issue a public appology for your crass insensitive handling of this story.

GM98

Sep 6, 2008
Shoreham
Just sent to the editor

Hi

Sorry to bother you, however I believe your front page has over stepped the mark. As a loyal reader I regret I will not be purchasing the Argus in future until an apology is made to Brighton & Hove Albion regarding the way you have portrayed the club.

As a member & organiser of a large club involved with sport in the Brighton area, I will be contacting each member to also ask them to stop buying the Argus until an apology is given.

You may find this is just the tip of the iceberg, as a lot of our members support Brighton & Hove Albion, and are not impressed with todays paper. A number of our members have businesses & have used your paper to advertise, I understand they are reconsidering.

If you wish to reply, I am more than happy to pass your comments on.

Gary

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I wonder if the the rag will be selling on the concourse next Saturday?

I don't agree with banning journalists. Certainly not for publishing information in the public domain. However, the way the Argus published that information was totally crass and designed purely to maximise sales. IMHO the club would be quite within its rights to withdraw permission for the Argus to be sold outside the ground e.g. from the stalls round the back by the away end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here