Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Idea To Commemorate The Last Game At The Goldstone On April 26, 1997

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
How about a sponsored walk from the Goldstone to our field of dreams in Falmer? We could raise money for the Seagulls party!

Who knows maybe we could collect signatures of support and donations along the way, And when we get to our field we could plant a banner in it to get our message across.

Maybe we could all dress scruffy and carry sleeping bags to symbolise being homeless and in need of sheltered accomodation!

The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
March on Lewes town hall.
Lewes Town Hall is owned and run by Lewes Town Council, not Lewes District Council.

The District Council offices at Lewes House, which is on the opposite side of the road.

Last edited:

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
We were discussing this yesterday after the match.

We should all treat April 26th as a matchday. Get to the pub at the usual time (whichever one you used before Goldstone matches. Exchange for me).

Stroll up to the Goldstone: under the tunnel in Fonthill Road, round the corner, stop by the church and see how full the North Stand is etc etc.

Then we have a kickabout in the car park, say 100-a-side with everyone wearing colours. The shops won't be that busy on a Thursday afternoon.

They could cordon off the edge of the car park, i.e. the bit that would have been the North Stand so we don't encroach the pitch area.

The shops get publicity, which they will obviously like, and we get a load of positive PR for the Falmer cause.

200 people wearing colours having a kickabout with loads of people watching would be great.

I'm giving myself the day off.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I know I made a flippant remark at the start of this thread about reclaiming the Goldstone, but seriously, because this is still a vital issue, I think that whatever we do, the main action ought to be done in Lewes AND Hove.

As I see it, there are two dates here.

There is April 26th, which is a Thursday. I would propose some kind of gathering/protest in Lewes, with a minute's silence at 3pm, with people coming along in black or dark blue armbands. It is also exactly one week before the council elections. What better publicity could we have than to take the fight right to LDC's doorstep?

Then, on April 28th - the Saturday - we hold a protest at the Goldstone Ground, before a walk (sponsored walk?) to Withdean for the game. It's about a 30-minute walk from the Goldstone to Withdean, so very do-able.

Alternatively, these dates can be interchangeable.

Comments anyone?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The Large One said:
I know I made a flippant remark at the start of this thread about reclaiming the Goldstone, but seriously, because this is still a vital issue, I think that whatever we do, the main action ought to be done in Lewes AND Hove.

There is April 26th, which is a Thursday. I would propose some kind of gathering/protest in Lewes, with a minute's silence at 3pm, with people coming along in black or dark blue armbands. It is also exactly one week before the council elections. What better publicity could we have than to take the fight right to LDC's doorstep?

Then, on April 28th - the Saturday - we hold a protest at the Goldstone Ground, before a walk (sponsored walk?) to Withdean for the game. It's about a 30-minute walk from the Goldstone to Withdean, so very do-able.

Comments anyone?

I'd go along with that TLO, We must'nt let this anniversary pass unnoticed.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
I have a damn exam on April 26th so whatever you do, make sure you keep the noise down!

*Edit - exam is the week after so I am all up for protesting!

Last edited:

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Funny, Al, 'cos I've grabbed a couple of minutes
to come on here before I dash off to Cardiff and I was just about to propose the same thing.

I propose that we have a demonstration outside Lewes Council on the afternoon of the 26th starting at 3pm. I know many people will be at work but I really think all those of us who can make it should show our anger and contempt at their massive contribution to our 10 years’ homelessness.

I am going to organise a commemorative gig at the Duke of Wellington in Shoreham on the evening of Thursday 26th – all proceeds to the Seagulls Party.

I’d like to read my ‘Goldstone Ghosts poem at half time on Saturday 28th if people think it’s a good idea.

Away gigging for the next week but I'll try and keep up with this.

J

Cheers J

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Just don't think any protest at the retail park is a good idea ? Like it or not,apart from Focus they are not responable for the demolition of The Goldstone. Feel a protest there would do more harm than good. All our idea,s now and in the past, need to highlight what the postition is now. :albion:

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
I like the idea of a protest outside the LDC offices on Thursday 26th April but this would probably have to be quite low key, due to people's daytime commitments, unless it was held early evening.

However, I really think we should concentrate on something at the Goldstone site on the Saturday where we should be able to generate a large crowd and a lot of publicity. Maybe on the park opposite so as not to antagonise the retailers (as it's not their fault). Have a bit of a rally there and then walk to Withdean as has been suggested.

Instead of a sponsored walk, how about trying to raise enough money in advance so that we can make the family stand free entry that day, so that all members of the Seagulls Club can come along free, to underline how a generation of children haven't seen the Albion with a permanent home? Not sure how much the club would want us to donate but I think we could reach it with putting a few quid in each.

Whatever happens we mustn't let this anniversary pass unnoticed.

The Large One said:

Comments anyone?

How about a GIANT Blue and White Coffin carried through Lewes and left outside the LDC offices? Only needs to be cardboard or something similar...anybody with a Blue Peter Badge can build it!

D

Deleted User X18H

bristolseagull said:
How about relegation tp league 2?

so we can relive the excelent football endured in the last couple of seasons at th Goldstone..........
this idea seems to be catching on quite well:nono:

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
Lammy said:
90minute long silence?

our strikers must think that the anniversary is all the time then.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
edna krabappel said:
You know what makes it even more crap?

We play our last game at the Goldstone against Doncaster Rovers, and ten years later are still up shit creek, while in the same period, Doncaster have had time to get relegated several times, get half their ground burnt down, nearly go into liquidation, rise from the ashes, get promoted twice more, and build an entirely new stadium.

Sometimes it really sucks being an Albion fan :(
But we've also won two championships and a playoff final at the Millenium Stadium in front of 60000 people.

Sometimes it's really greta being an Albion fan ;)

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Superphil said:
How about a huge turnout at the goldstone retail park, clog up the car park from 9am till 2.30pm, everyone go into the shops, get loads of stuff to the checkouts, then simply don’t buy any of it.

Make the staff clear it all up, make sure all the shops there make absolutely no profit on that day.

1,000 (may need more?) scarves around the goldstone..?
a peaceful vigil at the spiritful home of BHA, before a march to withdean..

plenty of pubs to 'rest' at along the way, i'm sure.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
mendoza10 said:
Maybe we should lay down the REMF flag and loads of flowers in the car park - and maybe even this giant coffin

would be peaceful, but would have a huge visual impact

Deffo.

Maybe we could march with the coffin through lewes and then leave it outside the offices?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here