Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I got into a punch up tonight

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Ok but what about Aston Villa, Portsmouth, Arsenal QPR Tottenham....they are "owned" by foreign owners.....clubs that are plc are owned in effect by city institutions.

Yes they are English Clubs, they are based in England, they play in the English Premier league ( apart from QPR) and they represent the English game.

The same argument could be said by people who drive Vauxhalls...." I drive an English car"....No you dont you drive and American car, the parent company of Vauxhall is General Motors Corporation of America. Hell, even Mini's are now BMW's.

I think this "plastic fan" stuff is a bit luddite to be honest

I did say ect meaning the likes of Villa etc. I think it is killing the English game and one reason why our national team is shit It is all become about the product now.
I love the blue square premier adverts on setanta. It says it all really

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Because football is so much more than just cheering for the winners. Yes some of the people might be exiled Mancs but I bet 95% of them support Man U simply because they're big and successful; if things had worked out differently they'd all be supporting Man City. Maybe we should all support Germany or Argentina at international level? Why should we support England?

And yes your mate, unless he has some connection with Munich, is a plastic fan - albeit a slightly better-off one. Why did he choose them?

Because he stopped going to Brighton when we went to Gillingham, decided after 20 years of following Brighton he had had enough and his mate took him to see Bayern one weekend and was hooked.

So what is a "connection" then? Lived somewhere? Born somewhere? drunk a pint in a pub near a ground? seen them on the telly?

In my time I have supported Huddersfield, Leeds, Chelsea, Highlands Park, Durban Spurs and Brighton. This was due to living in so many places. Ok some people are die hard fans and would never change their allegiance to a particular club and that is fair enough. My allegiance to Brighton and Hove Albion started when I went along in 1974/5 when we moved to Brighton...I have no connections with Brighton apart from living here, my wife is Brightonian and my kids Brightonians. I dare say if we moved far enough away that watching Brighton would be difficult, then I would go and watch the local team, be in manchester United or Torquay

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Erm...yup. And they sound like right twats too.

so now you are plastic fan if you actually go and watch a team other than Brighton!

Sorry I didnt realise.

Thanks for pointing that out

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I remember getting to a heated debated about Brighton in a pub once. I think Man U were playing on the Big Screen but no one was really paying attention apart from the group of 5 lads sat on the table nearest the screen, which happened to be at the table next to where me and my friends were sat.

I was telling my mates about the weekends trip to watch us play away to Oldham I think, and their fans over heard the conversation and asked me which team I supported. I told them the Albion.

They then said "thats cool, but which Premiership team do you support" I then said why would I support another team apart from Brighton. They said because Brighton werent in the top league and hadnt won anything ever.

I didnt punch them, but it was really hard convincing them that it is OK not to support a Premiership team, and they were suprised that I had been to Old Trafford more times than all of them put together.

I have been 3 times, once to watch the Albion and twice to watch England

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
I have lived in Coventry for 20 years and would never dream of singing the sky blue song. Utter chav scum and I love it when my work colleagues tell me to f*** off back to Brighton :albion2:

Because he stopped going to Brighton when we went to Gillingham, decided after 20 years of following Brighton he had had enough and his mate took him to see Bayern one weekend and was hooked.

So what is a "connection" then? Lived somewhere? Born somewhere? drunk a pint in a pub near a ground? seen them on the telly?

In my time I have supported Huddersfield, Leeds, Chelsea, Highlands Park, Durban Spurs and Brighton. This was due to living in so many places. Ok some people are die hard fans and would never change their allegiance to a particular club and that is fair enough. My allegiance to Brighton and Hove Albion started when I went along in 1974/5 when we moved to Brighton...I have no connections with Brighton apart from living here, my wife is Brightonian and my kids Brightonians. I dare say if we moved far enough away that watching Brighton would be difficult, then I would go and watch the local team, be in manchester United or Torquay

Funny that Dave, whilst in Leeds and Nottingham, I could never get into their football, it just didn't turn me on!

The same now in London, I could watch the best of the Premiership, I have three clubs no more than 30 mins away, but my heart just won't be there!!:shrug:

LC

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Do you not find the plastics nauseating though Dave ? :

No not really.

I have no problem with people who want to support whoever they want.

as I said above, I think it may be that I have no real "roots". Moving around the world and the UK, Brighton is now my home and I have a family here. That is my only connection with Brighton. I was too young to "support" Huddersfield when we left, but I still look out for their results ( and to have some banter with people sat around me in H block)

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:BUZZER:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Walking back through London Bridge station after the game last night I passed 3 twats shouting Chelsea, so I of course gave them a couple of "Seagulls!" back (yes, I was pissed). Their response was to aggressively square up to me and and tell me that Brighton had won nothing this season. Good comedy timing.

Being serious, I have had more encounters with Chelsea idiots near the stations in London, than all other teams put together.

All their fans seem to dwell on being hard:down:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As most pub watching Premiership fans laugh in your face when you tell them you are a Brighton fan, I don't see that Buzzer's initial reaction was any worse. Do you take a swing everytime a Manc fan laughs at you for being a Brighton fan? Buzzer was quite right to voice his opinion imo. If you want to give it, you've got to be able to take it, this guy obviously couldn't. Well done Buzzer.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No not really.

I have no problem with people who want to support whoever they want.

Even if the only reason they "support" that club is because they're one of the biggest and best in the country ? Because I don't think thats what supporting a football club is all about. At all.

I have a great deal of respect for fans of lower-league clubs, and they are INFINITELY more interesting to chat with and to banter with than a plastic. I work with a Brentford season ticket holder, and we usually go for a pint on Friday lunchtime, along with a plastic Spurs and a plastic Newcastle. With the Brentford guy, the conversation is invariably about our respective teams, past games, away trips, terrible players etc etc, we can jaw on for hours. When it comes to the plastics though, once you've talked about whats been in the papers or on Sky, the conversations dead. They barely even know who they're playing at the weekend half the time.

Plastics are just brainwashed dullards.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Have we sorted out what a plastic fan really is yet?

Yes, fans that claim allegiance to a team for no other reasno than that they are big and successful.

How many Brighton fans are there that don't live in or come from Brighton?

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
according to MOH, anyone who doesn't support Brighton

That is the correct answer :jester:

My Plastic fan son in law has only seen United play once. That was when his brother got him a ticket to the carling cup final against wigan. he has never set foot in manchester. Its ironic that he has seen the Albion and Crawley town play more than he has seen his beloved man utd

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
according to MOH, anyone who doesn't support Brighton

Mmmmm thats a lot of plastic fans then! So what do we call all those so called fans who went to the play off final but never go to Withdean? Are they plastic fans as well?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Even if the only reason they "support" that club is because they're one of the biggest and best in the country ? Because I don't think thats what supporting a football club is all about. At all.

I have a great deal of respect for fans of lower-league clubs, and they are INFINITELY more interesting to chat with and to banter with than a plastic. I work with a Brentford season ticket holder, and we usually go for a pint on Friday lunchtime, along with a plastic Spurs and a plastic Newcastle. With the Brentford guy, the conversation is invariably about our respective teams, past games, away trips, terrible players etc etc, we can jaw on for hours. When it comes to the plastics though, once you've talked about whats been in the papers or on Sky, the conversations dead. They barely even know who they're playing at the weekend half the time.

Plastics are just brainwashed dullards.
Sssh, you mustn't SAY that. Even if it's spot on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here