Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How will YOU celebrate the death of Margaret Thatcher?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I think you will find that both Thatcher and Brown became PM via identical routes, being the elected leaders of their respective parties.

Unless I am missing something, or we have finally become the 51st state of the USA that we are but all in name, people vote for individual MP's in the UK, not a Prime Minister.

Agreed - what I meant was the "morally" correct way ( if that's the correct word ). If a party changes its leader it inevitably changes its policies, in which case it should have the guts to hold an election. Rightly or wrongly some people vote partly based who will become PM - that's why political parties like a leader that is popular.

Anyway, this minor discussion somewhat detracts from the idiots who want to celebrate the death of a fellow human being.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
where have i done that mate ? pointed out some innacuracies in a statement maybe , whats your problem ? you've basically failed to present any real argument , so your trying to wind me up with pseudo trendy phrases like "reach around".......cock

There's nothing pseudo trendy about giving someone a reach-around.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Agreed - what I meant was the "morally" correct way ( if that's the correct word ). If a party changes its leader it inevitably changes its policies, in which case it should have the guts to hold an election. Rightly or wrongly some people vote partly based who will become PM - that's why political parties like a leader that is popular.

Anyway, this minor discussion somewhat detracts from the idiots who want to celebrate the death of a fellow human being.

Fair enough, not sure there is anything 'morally correct' about British politics though.

Winston Churchill was appointed PM in 1940, but there was no election, and I am mightily glad that there wasn't.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
.....in your opinion
and quite few of the left leaning NSCers, if a few of the threads when gordon brown was going through one of his increasingly regular "bad patches".The clamour for him to be replaced with miliband or johnson was deafening, why would that be if people didnt vote largely for the party leader ?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
and quite few of the left leaning NSCers, if a few of the threads when gordon brown was going through one of his increasingly regular "bad patches".The clamour for him to be replaced with miliband or johnson was deafening, why would that be if people didnt vote largely for the party leader ?

I agree that at elections the personality of the leader does count for some voters, you only have to look at Labour under Foot and Kinnock to see that, the Tories could have put up Roland Rat against those two and would have still been elected.

The point I was arguing against was that if a leader resigns or is replaced then a General Election is required.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I agree that at elections the personality of the leader does count for some voters, you only have to look at Labour under Foot and Kinnock to see that, the Tories could have put up Roland Rat against those two and would have still been elected.

The point I was arguing against was that if a leader resigns or is replaced then a General Election is required.
even when the previous party leader fought the election under the premise of serving another full term ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
She came in when this country was well and truly in the shit and wasn't afraid to do what needed to be done to sort it out.

She had her mad moments along the way, but generally her legacy left this country in a far better position to reap the rewards of the global economic recovery and internet boom in the 90s.

She stayed on one Parliament too long. Had she bowed out at the end of her second term she'd be looking at a state funeral.

Bringing things up to date, she looked pretty rough getting out of the car from hospital over the weekend. It all looks like things are going a bit John Paul II up top...

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I hear the bitter echos of the moral and political failure of the left.

Also

how many other PM's get wished death? Or in the USA why was Hillary Clintons daughter attacked in such a manner that would never happen to a male politician
?

Its a lot of Mysogny dressed up as politics.

Yaaaaah a lot of my redneck chums call Obama super ****** just because they dont like his politics.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I was going to dance on her grave but since she has lasted this long and with my arthritis I think a slow drink of vodka and a quiet smile will do

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
I do like the fact that people are now convincing themselves they were forced to buy houses at gunpoint, and didnt spend the last few years desperately trying to get every penny they could out of mortgage lenders in a bid to get rich quick by borrowing money.

I bought my house to live in actually, in fact most people I know bought theirs for the same reason.
I also scrimped and saved my way through years of Thatcher being in power providing for my family.
Cannot stand the woman. Oh and she picked some corkers for chancellors didn't she?

I realize unions had too much power but she had WAY too much power.

And U.S. bless you, the word is decimate meaning reduce by a tenth.

Getting back to the thread I won't be celebrating her death but I will protest against any hint of a state funeral. Awful, shameful woman.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I was on the phone to Norman Cook once and he got a text saying she had died (sadly a rumour). He said he would personally hold a free rave on her grave.

I guess I might go to that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here