Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How will YOU celebrate the death of Margaret Thatcher?

What on earth determines a community's livelihood ? My money from my white collar job has just as much effect on the local services etc as say a miners. When I was made redundant the local shops, pubs, taxi firms etc lost my money in exactly the same way if a miner loses his job.

You're making the assumption that the brokers haven't already lost everything before the upturn which in all likelyhood they will have done. There is nothing better about mining than there is say mortgage brokering, IT support, gardening, plumbing, civil servant - someone losing their job regardless of what it is has a significant effect on them and their family and to a lesser extent on the local economy.

People need to snap out of this misty eyed idea that manual jobs are more important than other jobs. :rant::rant::rant:

No one is being misty eyed about manual workers as opposed to white collar workers, what I think people are trying to point out that is say a factory or pit closes that has a greater effect on the local community that is was serving, as against the same amount of people losing their jobs in a different industry around a much wider area.
Losing your job is bad if you're a steel worker, miner or mortgage broker.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What on earth determines a community's livelihood ? My money from my white collar job has just as much effect on the local services etc as say a miners. When I was made redundant the local shops, pubs, taxi firms etc lost my money in exactly the same way if a miner loses his job.

You're making the assumption that the brokers haven't already lost everything before the upturn which in all likelyhood they will have done. There is nothing better about mining than there is say mortgage brokering, IT support, gardening, plumbing, civil servant - someone losing their job regardless of what it is has a significant effect on them and their family and to a lesser extent on the local economy.

People need to snap out of this misty eyed idea that manual jobs are more important than other jobs. :rant::rant::rant:

ALL job losses are a tragedy on a personal level, I have lost two of mine in the past year and it is no fun. I think the difference between the job losses of the 80's in industries such as mining as that the local pit tended to be the sole employer of male labour, and so when it closed it had a relatively greater impact on the locality than the white collar jobs that most of us have these days, as the workforce tends to be less concentrated in such a small area.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

'What on earth determines a communities livelihood!' See the following quote for a good explanation.

ALL job losses are a tragedy on a personal level, I have lost two of mine in the past year and it is no fun. I think the difference between the job losses of the 80's in industries such as mining as that the local pit tended to be the sole employer of male labour, and so when it closed it had a relatively greater impact on the locality than the white collar jobs that most of us have these days, as the workforce tends to be less concentrated in such a small area.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do we get a day off work when she pops her clogs?!

I dont want a day off because of her. I'll celebrate her death in my own time thank you.

Alfred the greatx

Cake anyone, bit overdone
Jun 15, 2008
Good point about the "capitalist fat cats", but since 1979 we haven't had a government in this country that has done anything to prevent the income of cheap foreign labour, so companies can make huge profits.
If we actually had a true left wing or slightly left wing government in power I personally think some of this migration for cheap labour would have been lessened.
The cheap labour imported labour is a classic example of "market forces" at work, and all it does is exploit the workers coming over here and the workers already over here, but remember it's good for business!

And is the single most important reason for the growth of the BNP.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Do we get a day off work when she pops her clogs?!

Probably not , they will arrange for her funeral to be on a Sunday which will coincide with the weekend long street parties and festivities held by us commoners.:lol:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
What will be interesting at football and other sporting events is the one minute applause v one minute booing that will occur.:laugh:

i think most punters on here know that I had no time for Thatcher, I believed she was a divisive character, bordering on being hateful. \in the 70's and 80's I despised her and everything she stood for.

Her admiinistrations were corrupt, even her own son, benefitted greatly from patronage.

But she was not a dictator, she was the chosen one in our faulty democracy.

I will not celbrate her death and I have said before, whilst she portrayed the hard lady image, there were certainly some various nasty people in her cabinets, who despite good advice, still undertook policies that are harming Britain today.

I just hope that some twats don't desicrate her grave...................

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
"I bet you would not have had the MP expense scandal if she had been in No. Ten."
Quoted by Porky.

NO, Far bigger scandels.

NO inquiry into the BOW BELLE tragedy because the chairman of the operating company was Denis Thatchers golfing partner.

Idiot son was a major arms dealer to arab nations and eventually set up the two Iraq wars.

The total ruinanation of any thing that would be considered fair play and consential in British society.

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
Upon her ultimate death most inhabitants of this country will be having yuppy champange parties in the street aka 1977 silver jubilee celebrations.

D

Deleted User X18H

Anyone who was not able to make a sucess of themslves from Margeret Thatcher's Governments influential polices (especially in this neck of the woods) must have been very very thick indeed!!!

D

Deleted User X18H

Upon her ultimate death most inhabitants of this country will be having yuppy champange parties in the street aka 1977 silver jubilee celebrations.

What a horrible thing to say about a fellow living human being!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Anyone who was not able to make a sucess of themslves from Margeret Thatcher's Governments influential polices (especially in this neck of the woods) must have been very very thick indeed!!!

Or they had principles and didn't consider stampeding over everyone else just to line their own pockets. Not everyone wants to be a mercenary.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
i think most punters on here know that I had no time for Thatcher, I believed she was a divisive character, bordering on being hateful. \in the 70's and 80's I despised her and everything she stood for.

Her admiinistrations were corrupt, even her own son, benefitted greatly from patronage.

But she was not a dictator, she was the chosen one in our faulty democracy.

I will not celbrate her death and I have said before, whilst she portrayed the hard lady image, there were certainly some various nasty people in her cabinets, who despite good advice, still undertook policies that are harming Britain today.

I just hope that some twats don't desicrate her grave...................

I pretty much agree with this. I loathed Thatcher with a passion when she was PM. I still think she was one of the worst prime ministers we've ever had in this country, one who made so many bad decisions that we're still living with the consequences of them 20 years later. In fact, it's only now that we can really see how she got most of the major decisions wrong.

But, I won't really celebrate her death. She was a human being with family of her own and I don't see the need to derive satisfaction from other people's sadness.

I had a bottle of champagne saved to toast her death but I drank it when Sussex won the CC for the first time - a much more appropriate celebration.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here