Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How will YOU celebrate the death of Margaret Thatcher?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I was on the phone to Norman Cook once and he got a text saying she had died (sadly a rumour). He said he would personally hold a free rave on her grave.

I guess I might go to that.
thats not the first time you've posted that, i suspect its more about letting people know you were on the phone to nice middle class quentin from redhill than any other reason.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I was on the phone to Norman Cook once and he got a text saying she had died (sadly a rumour). He said he would personally hold a free rave on her grave.

I guess I might go to that.

Was he drunk at the time ?

Porky

Oct 5, 2003
Ontario. Canada
She gave you Brits a good dose of intestinal fortitude which is being slowly frittered away by maudling "tax and spend" Administrations. I bet you would not have had the MP expense scandal if she had been in No. Ten.
She would have had their guts for garters. no matter what Party the cheating bastards belonged to.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The ignorance is staggering. If you call a 40% dessimation of the industry in 1year " a handful ". 12000 and that many fold people affected is more than " a handful " in my book. The whole industry will be destroyed by the end of 2010. Now I know as I am only " a suit " no one gives a shit but I do and am very f***ed off and angry.

The mortgage brokering industry did not create the sub prime situation. The LENDERS did. Also the FSA sat in their air conditioned offices in Canary Wharf and did the square root of f*** ALL to keep the lenders in check and did NOTHING to reign in or question Northern Rock. So bark up a different tree when your ignorance is corrected.

Incredible! 12,000 affected you say. Do you mean that's 12,000 out of work or 12,000 suffering a downturn. Is that 12,000 in one community or spread across the country? Is there a single community anywhere in the UK that is as heavily dependent on the mortgage brokers in it's midst as there were communities virtually wholly reliant on the work at the local pit?

As for the FSA, it's a standard mantra that deregulation and the like led to the free reign that the lenders had. However, can you be specific as to what was and how deregulated got uis to here. Please don't just respond with the establishment of the FSA.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Incredible! 12,000 affected you say. Do you mean that's 12,000 out of work or 12,000 suffering a downturn. Is that 12,000 in one community or spread across the country? Is there a single community anywhere in the UK that is as heavily dependent on the mortgage brokers in it's midst as there were communities virtually wholly reliant on the work at the local pit?

As for the FSA, it's a standard mantra that deregulation and the like led to the free reign that the lenders had. However, can you be specific as to what was and how deregulated got uis to here. Please don't just respond with the establishment of the FSA.
people should give the bloke a break for fucks sake , he is seeing his livelihood going down the drain, and while whole communities are not being decimated, i bet its every bit as painful in the US house hold as it was in those poor sods of miners .

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Why the f*** does it matter ?? People lost their jobs then and are again now - it matters not what they do or where they come from - it's still shit. As someone who was made redundant last year I resent any twat that thinks being made redundant from manufacturing is worse than being made redundant from a white collar job - we still have mortgages and families you know !!!!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
She gave you Brits a good dose of intestinal fortitude which is being slowly frittered away by maudling "tax and spend" Administrations. I bet you would not have had the MP expense scandal if she had been in No. Ten.
She would have had their guts for garters. no matter what Party the cheating bastards belonged to.

Does that include reining her son's behaviour in?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why the f*** does it matter ?? People lost their jobs then and are again now - it matters not what they do or where they come from - it's still shit. As someone who was made redundant last year I resent any twat that thinks being made redundant from manufacturing is worse than being made redundant from a white collar job - we still have mortgages and families you know !!!!!

On an individual level, you're right, it doesn't matter but when a community loses it's livelihood, such as the local pit, then all the other services in that community also suffer, including local shops and dare I say it, local mortgage brokers.

The other difference is that in a years time when, maybe, everything is on the up and people are looking for mortgages, those brokers that closed down will find it easier to set up again compared to, for a random example, miners who can't reopen the local pit.

As for redundancy, luckily, I have never suffered it but I now many friends in my former employment industry (insurance) that did, going back to the late 80s.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Just to make it clear although I would have thought it was obvious it is 12000out of 30000 who have lost their jobs. Thats 40% of the industry so far.

I know as you already said 12000 people is only a handful and hardly worth bothering about and that because we wear suits and not overalls and do not get sooty faces doing our jobs its not less relevant to the miners who lost their jobs. Its just as devastating but as its less news worthy and less of a romantic pull on the heartstrings people in my profession do not expect the UK public to take to the streets of london in anger or a film director to be phoning Ewan McGregor to see if he could play a hand up mortgage broker any time soon.

Still as I am in the finance sector it is irrelevant I suppose and as you alluded to we all deserve it. Yeah, f*** the lot of us.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
On an individual level, you're right, it doesn't matter but when a community loses it's livelihood, such as the local pit, then all the other services in that community also suffer, including local shops and dare I say it, local mortgage brokers.

The other difference is that in a years time when, maybe, everything is on the up and people are looking for mortgages, those brokers that closed down will find it easier to set up again compared to, for a random example, miners who can't reopen the local pit.

As for redundancy, luckily, I have never suffered it but I now many friends in my former employment industry (insurance) that did, going back to the late 80s.

Not if they are not in the industry anymore

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

What on earth determines a community's livelihood ? My money from my white collar job has just as much effect on the local services etc as say a miners. When I was made redundant the local shops, pubs, taxi firms etc lost my money in exactly the same way if a miner loses his job.

You're making the assumption that the brokers haven't already lost everything before the upturn which in all likelyhood they will have done. There is nothing better about mining than there is say mortgage brokering, IT support, gardening, plumbing, civil servant - someone losing their job regardless of what it is has a significant effect on them and their family and to a lesser extent on the local economy.

People need to snap out of this misty eyed idea that manual jobs are more important than other jobs. :rant::rant::rant:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here