piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If you asked the average football fan to name the first world class player who came to mind, how many of them would say Clyne, Moses or Zaha? Even if you offered said person 100 guesses?

That's right....none of them, because its an utterly ludicrous claim.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
I point you in the direction of future England RB Nathaniel Clyne, and Liverpool/Chelsea/United/Stoke/Bolton target Wilfried Zaha, and Wigan/Barcelona/Chelsea target Victor Moses.

And before you ask, Moses went to Wigan because they paid us the most money up front that we needed desperately at the time.

No you said world class players. Not players who if they make the right career move will do well.
Name one world class player who has come through your youth system.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The reason everyone is causing fuss is because those players aren't WORTH the fees you paid for them. If Leicester wanted to, do you not think they could have paid an extra £500k for CMS and blown you out of the water?

By the same token, if we'd wanted to, do you not think we could have paid an extra few grand a week for Glenn Murray?

And I fully accept Palace have a very strong youth development programme, but these points you speak of...they didn't win you many last season, did they?

Oh, and I went to Peterborough last season and in the main it stands up perfectly well against Selhurst. Smaller, but not as decrepit. Never done Blackpool but at least most of it is new, albeit a bit tinpot. If you read my post again, I said that Selhurst was in the bottom two grounds in the Championship- the other one is obviously Fratton Park. I stand by that. Perhaps you sit in the Holmesdale End, and don't have to endure the horrors of the Arthur Wait Stand (or the one opposite), therefore you don't have a true picture of the place. In which case, I can assure you having been there on three separate occasions: it is disgusting.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Bear in mind his age, and the fact that he played regularly for Wigan towards the end of last season and almost singlehandedly won them the game against Arsenal.

And no, he doesn't. Thankfully he is on a 5 year deal though.
Yeah I do actually think Moses is a good player, just the hype around him was trumped up. Those huge clubs look at a lot of players, Moses might have been one, but when they're genuinely interested they get them, not Wigan.

To be fair whether it's agents or the club Palace have done well for themselves on the selling front in recent years.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Tony Bloom is a lifelong Brighton & Hove Albion fan. His family have been involved with the running of this club for decades, and I for one have absolute faith that he would NEVER do anything to jeopardise the futre of this football club. Underneath it all, he's a fan just like the rest of us.

if he owned or part owned betfair, they floated on the stock market this year, so he would have made a fair few bob out of that.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
No you said world class players. Not players who if they make the right career move will do well.
Name one world class player who has come through your youth system.

Kenny Sansom. Second highest capped England fullback.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If Leicester wanted to, do you not think they could have paid an extra £500k for CMS and blown you out of the water?

Ergo: if Barcelona wanted to, don't you think they could have outbid, er, Wigan, for Victor Moses? Christ on a bike you are a total GOOBER if you really believe they were trying to sign him, or that he wouldn't have bitten their hands off if there was even a sniff of them being interested.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Ergo: if Barcelona wanted to, don't you think they could have outbid, er, Wigan, for Victor Moses? Christ on a bike you are a total GOOBER if you really believe they were trying to sign him, or that he wouldn't have bitten their hands off if there was even a sniff of them being interested.

HE would have. They didn't offer enough up front, our administrator didn't accept it.

The administrator didn't care who came in. If Accrington offered £3m up front they'd have got him.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
=Glenn-Murray;4221529]The worm hasn't turned, nor are we envious. Your stadium is better than ours, but our academy is one of the best in the country and we'll have a new home in 5/6 years.

You've got into the Championship again. Well done you. Congratulations. Unfortunately, we've been here for 35 years before you. Your squad isn't as good as ours, despite your over-spending.

Don't get me wrong, you're probably a small-average Championship club now, but you're nothing more - and you're certainly not a threat to us. We've been yo-yoing between the top two tiers for decades, you've done the same in the second and third.

You're the new boys in school, and you've got a LOT of catching up to do in the next few decades. And also...

You won a charity shield over 100 years ago. Nobody cares, and I doubt anyone is alive who went to that game. It's hardly something to brag about. And for the record, many teams in the Championship have worse grounds than we do - Blackpool, Peterborough, Pompey etc. and even Premiership teams like Fulham. A stadium doesn't get you any points. World Class players produced through your academy, however... :clap:

You only doubt that anyone is alive who saw this??

Jeeeess....

The worm hasn't turned, nor are we envious. Your stadium is better than ours, but our academy is one of the best in the country and we'll have a new home in 5/6 years.

You've got into the Championship again. Well done you. Congratulations. Unfortunately, we've been here for 35 years before you. Your squad isn't as good as ours, despite your over-spending.

Don't get me wrong, you're probably a small-average Championship club now, but you're nothing more - and you're certainly not a threat to us. We've been yo-yoing between the top two tiers for decades, you've done the same in the second and third.

You're the new boys in school, and you've got a LOT of catching up to do in the next few decades. And also...

You won a charity shield over 100 years ago. Nobody cares, and I doubt anyone is alive who went to that game. It's hardly something to brag about. And for the record, many teams in the Championship have worse grounds than we do - Blackpool, Peterborough, Pompey etc. and even Premiership teams like Fulham. A stadium doesn't get you any points. World Class players produced through your academy, however... :clap:

Oh but the worm has turned Im afraid. Did you actually see us play football last season? We are a seriously good passing team and absolutely walked this League One playing passing football in a League that allows you hardly any time on the ball. The Championship may be a more physical proposition for us, howeve you absolutely do get more time on the ball and that will fair well for us this season. Results in the cup with some of our BACK UP players against both Portsmouth and Watford prove we can more than compete at Championship level.

If we are a small-average Championship club then what are you? You don't exactly have a "World Class" former player at the helm do you? Nor do you have any brains to claim that you have produced any "World Class" players in your academy? Can you seriously claim that Zaha, (formerly) Moses.... are world class? You deluded utter COCK end. Your ground is definately worse than Craven Cottage and to claim your ram-shackled shit pit is better than the others is not a deluded but you are certainly on par with them.

Our Stadium will certainly not get us any points yet our SQUAD, including the 5 extra's that ARE coming in, for example rumoured signings such as Osano, Miquel, Lansbury, Lua Lua and Scotland, we will certainly be able to more than compete in the Championship this year. Our football will do the talking at the end of the day and when the almighty Dougie bloody Freedman finally get's your team playing "the way he wants" (A relegation fight didn't stop Gus coming in and playing the way he want's) then let's see who fares best at the AMEX and Selhurst. I certainly know who I and the bookies (based on present predictions) will be backing.

Feb 14, 2010
Glen Murray, just a few points, then jog on :-

- Charity Shield / Champions of England v Zenith windscreen trophy
- In 1983 Brighton got to a cup final, palace followed a few years later
- Brighton get 18500 season tickets and a waiting list, palace limp to 8000/9000
-Palace cling on to championship by failing to pay back the people who paid for their players and their academy
- When Brighton fight for its club then there is a York City event that gets front page and first item on the national news, palace teenagers get laughed at when they demonstrate

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
HE would have. They didn't offer enough up front, our administrator didn't accept it.

The administrator didn't care who came in. If Accrington offered £3m up front they'd have got him.

The player can sign for whoever he likes though. Teams in administration don't tend to quibble about the odd million.

Seriously. Barcelona tried to bid for your namesake too. No really. They just didn't offer enough up front so he turned them down. For Palace.

Please, please, keep posting Glenn. Your comments aren't half cheering me up:)

I agree, this guy is comedy gold. "Name the world class players your academy has produced"
"Erm erm, some kid who'll probably turn out to be quite good one day, probably, and another with 2 premiership goals to his name but he's gonna sign for Barcelona, mark my words!!"

Oh my days.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Oh,there was I thinking this thread was about 'Blooms worth' and find the thread about Academy players etc,however I don't think Blooms worth is anybodies business but for him and his accountant and solicitor.....and his missus.....but I'm very thankful for his input towards the Albion.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You could have your very own Simon Jordan on your hands. He is splashing far too much cash for it's worth. CMS is nowhere near the value you have paid, and £92m for that tiny stadium is frankly stupid.

thats a funny comment to make, since Jordon spent far more than the new supposedly wealthier owners have. i'd rather have a little £92m stadium than the rickety old shell that is Selhurst park,

Not too sure of an exact figure. I think the owner's combined personal wealth is a little shy of £1bn. Parish's wealth has been estimated in the £100m + and Martin Long founded Churchill and sold it for over a £1.2 billion, I think he pocketed several hundred million from the deal.
not quite. it has been interesting how we both have our newly found wealthy owners. its odd how while ours is making that wealth count, your's are being very quite. its about time you lived within your means, but *some* investment at this point would be a good idea. maybe your owners arent sure they can spare any?

Interestingly, there is a thread on the BBS that is worth reading where some of our more diplomatic and 'reasonable' posters did a little digging around Tony Bloom and found that there is considerable 'evidence' from various reputable, non-biased websites claiming that Bloom's actual wealth is in the £10's of millions rather than 100's of millions.

well known Bloom sold his Premierbet business some years ago for £10s of millions. not much is known since. however, the stadium is paid for, if there were a mortgage it would have to be publicly noted (or on some other property). the proof is in the pudding, a 22k seater pudding with traning ground icing. :)

i really think Palace fans should concern themselves more with what their owners are worth and what they intend to invest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here