Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much is Bloom worth.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
You do make me laugh. If we played at the Goldstone still, you'd be telling us it was smaller than Selhurst and a crumbling piece of crap. We played at Withdean and it was a Noddy non-league athletics stadium. We move to a stunning new place and now it's all "Lego" and "soulless".

All it tells me is that, after years of us not being able to compete, you are, for the first time in decades, feeling genuinely threatened by our future prospects, and that that scares you. The fact is, Selhurst Park is, in the main, a festering hovel, and has been for at least forty years. We've always known that, it's just that, with our own temporary (and yes, shit) facilities, we weren't in too much of a position to take the piss. It didn't change the facts though, that you play in one of the two worst grounds in the Championship, FACT. The worm has turned, and you can't just expect all our supporters to sit down quietly and miss the opportunity now it's here.

You have a few quite legitimate reasons to take the piss out of the Albion, I accept that even if not everyone on here will. The stadium is most definitely not one of them, and it shows you up for what you really are. Envy is not a pretty emotion.

The worm hasn't turned, nor are we envious. Your stadium is better than ours, but our academy is one of the best in the country and we'll have a new home in 5/6 years.

You've got into the Championship again. Well done you. Congratulations. Unfortunately, we've been here for 35 years before you. Your squad isn't as good as ours, despite your over-spending.

Don't get me wrong, you're probably a small-average Championship club now, but you're nothing more - and you're certainly not a threat to us. We've been yo-yoing between the top two tiers for decades, you've done the same in the second and third.

You're the new boys in school, and you've got a LOT of catching up to do in the next few decades. And also...

You won a charity shield over 100 years ago. Nobody cares, and I doubt anyone is alive who went to that game. It's hardly something to brag about. And for the record, many teams in the Championship have worse grounds than we do - Blackpool, Peterborough, Pompey etc. and even Premiership teams like Fulham. A stadium doesn't get you any points. World Class players produced through your academy, however... :clap:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Also don't forget that this deal wasn't straightforward. The clubs original intention was to seek commercial loans to finance at least a proportion of the build. The crunch put an end to that and Tony obstensibly stumped up the whole amount. However, i don't think he has ever declared why he didn't do this in the first place as the terms of his interest free loan are obviously more beneficial to the club.[/QUOTE]

Why should he? He obviously had good reason for it to drift along the way it did. It must be remembered that he was financing the club a long time before the stadium plans were granted so he had a plan.

Iv'e said it once and I'll say it again... I was told by a senior official when The Buckigham group where still at the site in about March that "Bloom has enough money to pay off Manchester United's debts". All a bit hersay I know, but evidence ever since then suggests that he was correct. If you look at the money Bloom has spent on the Albion, whether the fee for the AMEX is coming direct from his pocket or not, we are talking huge sum's of money, comparative in proportion to someone with hundreds of millions in his pocket. For instance, if you are going to pay £120m+ for a stadium and training complex that will see you struggle to ever make that money back in your lifetime, one can assume that you will have 5 or 6 times that amount left in your pocket for "personal" use.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The worm hasn't turned, nor are we envious. Your stadium is better than ours, but our academy is one of the best in the country and we'll have a new home in 5/6 years.

You've got into the Championship again. Well done you. Congratulations. Unfortunately, we've been here for 35 years before you. Your squad isn't as good as ours, despite your over-spending.

Don't get me wrong, you're probably a small-average Championship club now, but you're nothing more - and you're certainly not a threat to us. We've been yo-yoing between the top two tiers for decades, you've done the same in the second and third.

You're the new boys in school, and you've got a LOT of catching up to do in the next few decades. And also...

You won a charity shield over 100 years ago. Nobody cares, and I doubt anyone is alive who went to that game. It's hardly something to brag about. And for the record, many teams in the Championship have worse grounds than we do - Blackpool, Peterborough, Pompey etc. and even Premiership teams like Fulham. A stadium doesn't get you any points. World Class players produced through your academy, however... :clap:
Craven Cottage is not a worse ground than Selhurst, that's a ridiculous notion.
We haven't overspent.
A world class player has never come through any Palace youth set up.

As for who has the better team or squad, that will be decided in the coming season. :)

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
I've wondered about the chairman's wealth, no doubt about it. But his family's history with the club, his position as a lifelong fan himself, and the way the whole deal appears to have been set up makes me as near to 100% confident as I can be about it. It's clearly not a profit making venture: as another poster has said, if it was a mysterious foreign investor a la Crawley or possibly Leeds, or just a shady individual of dubious origin and financial status (take your pick from any of Pompey's previous five or six owners) then it might be cause for concern. But we know who owns the club, we know exactly what's happened with the funding for the stadium. The fees being paid for Mackail-Smith, Hoskins and Buckley are not massive in the context of the division we find ourselves in, the only reason they're causing any fuss at all is because we've spent little more than peanuts since the 1980s, while pretty much every club in the League has at one point or another broken their own transfer record.

The reason everyone is causing fuss is because those players aren't WORTH the fees you paid for them. If Leicester wanted to, do you not think they could have paid an extra £500k for CMS and blown you out of the water? Players like Scott Sinclair and Adel Taraabt signed for Swansea and QPR for £600,000. You spend almost FIVE times that for a player who isn't even half as talented as either of them.

With some shrewd buys, you can build a promotion team with the money you spent on CMS. You bought a decent player for a ridiculous transfer fee.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing

Who are these World class players? Who was the last Palarse player to light up a world cup or actually do anything of note?

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Who are these World class players? Who was the last Palarse player to light up a world cup or actually do anything of note?

I point you in the direction of future England RB Nathaniel Clyne, and Liverpool/Chelsea/United/Stoke/Bolton target Wilfried Zaha, and Wigan/Barcelona/Chelsea target Victor Moses.

And before you ask, Moses went to Wigan because they paid us the most money up front that we needed desperately at the time.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I point you in the direction of future England RB Nathaniel Clyne, and Liverpool/Chelsea/United/Stoke/Bolton target Wilfried Zaha, and Wigan/Barcelona/Chelsea target Victor Moses.

And before you ask, Moses went to Wigan because they paid us the most money up front that we needed desperately at the time.

None of whom are even close to world class. Lionel Messi is world class...are any of the above at or even close to his level? If not, then they aren't world class.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Why should he? He obviously had good reason for it to drift along the way it did. It must be remembered that he was financing the club a long time before the stadium plans were granted so he had a plan.

I wasn't saying he should - I'm just saying that the deal wasn't straightforward. I presume that Tony has a good reason for most of his actions regarding the Albion. For some reason - a person with a lot of money (we think) was prepared to keep the club afloat but at the same time have someone else in charge. Then at a later date, with the banks failing and the world economy down the plughole, the same person rides to the rescue with a massive pot of money from an undeclared source.

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton

HA HA HA.

Yeah of course Moses turned down Barcelona for Wigan

HA HA HA - what a nugget

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
None of whom are even close to world class. Lionel Messi is world class...are any of the above at his level? If not, then they aren't world class.

So, if I understand you correctly - there is ONE world class player in the world?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004

How many points will Moses get you next season? I doubt he will be coming back seeing as how he is world class (on Wigan's bench).

Does Zaha have the same agent as Moses by any chance? And John Bostock?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
So, if I understand you correctly - there is ONE world class player in the world?

I picked the first name that came to mind....after all you suggested three random players who are apparently world class, why shouldn't I suggest one?

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
Of course he didn't you moron. We accepted one bid - the highest one, from Wigan.

Yeah of course Barcelona were in for him - you really are coming across as a complete nugget.

HA HA HA.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
How many points will Moses get you next season? I doubt he will be coming back seeing as how he is world class (on Wigan's bench).

Does Zaha have the same agent as Moses by any chance?

Bear in mind his age, and the fact that he played regularly for Wigan towards the end of last season and almost singlehandedly won them the game against Arsenal.

And no, he doesn't. Thankfully he is on a 5 year deal though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here