Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much is Bloom worth.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It is you having a go at jordan being orange that makes me laugh.

Oh, it makes us laugh too.

simon_jordan_981561c.jpg

Seagull1967

Aug 8, 2009
Barnsley
This slanging match was completely pointless on this thread. Time will tell who is right or wrong and I for one is very happy with everything that is going on with BHA.

It is our turn to enjoy the moment while it lasts and I am proud to be a Brighton fan and I do not give a shit what others think!

Feb 14, 2010
If the palace new owners live within their season ticket and other revenue the club generates as Brighton are, then that is how it should be. Palace cannot be surprised tho they they get stick for clinging to championship status by spending money on players and a youth set up that they could not afford, and then fail to pay back the money to the people they borrowed it off. Good on the new owners if they wont act in such a disgraceful way.Either way, I predict it many years before palace get what Brighton already have.. a charity shield.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
if Tony Bloom is "only" worth £50 million, it would be a bit odd, don't you think, for him to spank £115 million on a football club?

Not if the person in question likes a big chunky gamble. Oh.

Look, no-one knows what Tony Bloom is worth. No-one knows that the Amex has been paid for with cash from Tony Bloom's bank account, we only know that we have been told it has.

But what I do think is very strange is that when it comes to clubs like Pompey many Albion fans, including some on here, have been somewhat scathing about Pompey fans not questioning goings on when riding the Premiership, big signings and FA Cup gravy train. Yet, when our own club is spending cash like it's going out of fashion, many of the same people are jumping to the conclusion that "we can afford it easily" simply because we have been told it's OK.

It might be all OK and I have no reason to suggest it's not. But Albion fans, of all people, should remain vigilant to goings on in the boardroom. It is our club, and we should not feel ashamed in seeking to verify that the club is in safe hands.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
You are either blind, or just plain f***ing stupid.

I'd go for the latter Smart Mart. If they think for one minute they are worrying us with this shit, they are sadly mistaken. TB has his fingers in lots of pies and would not throw money around like that, if he didn't have it. Not like their orange Bee Gee wannabe, who would f*** anyone over to make a few bob. But apparently he wasn't that good at it.

26-10-02

FFS MURRAY!!!!!!!!
Apr 22, 2004
purley
Not if the person in question like a big chunky gamble. Oh.

Look, no-one knows what Tony Bloom is worth. No-one knows that the Amex has been paid for with cash from Tony Bloom's bank account, we only know that we have been told it has.

But what I do think is very strange is that when it comes to clubs like Pompey many Albion fans, including some on here, have been somewhat scathing about Pompey fans not questioning goings on when riding the Premiership, big signings and FA Cup gravy train. Yet, when our own club is spending cash like it's going out of fashion, many of the same people are jumping to the conclusion that "we can afford it easily" simply because we have been told it's OK.

It might be all OK and I have no reason to suggest it's not. But Albion fans, of all people, should remain vigilant to goings on in the boardroom. It is our club, and we should not feel ashamed in seeking to verify that the club is in safe hands.
Bloom is obviously wealthy.Even if he borrowed the entire amount the bank would want collateral.Remember in 2006 Jordan ,who is a prick,claimed he had reunited the club and ground when in reality he had done no such thing.He even sold shirts and other merchandise with it on.
Keep 'em peeled lads and lasses.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bloom is obviously wealthy.Even if he borrowed the entire amount the bank would want collateral.Remember in 2006 Jordan ,who is a prick,claimed he had reunited the club and ground when in reality he had done no such thing.He even sold shirts and other merchandise with it on.

Hold on just a second, I'm confused at the apparent reasonableness of that post...shouldn't you end it with "you gaylords" or something?

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003

That's spectacular advice coming from a twice bankrupted football club.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Not if the person in question likes a big chunky gamble. Oh.

I'm sure you're not entirely serious about the gambling thing, but some people seem to take it seriously - even if he was at the lowest end of the wealth guessing, the randomly plucked £50m figure for example, all he ever gambled would be p[eanuts to that.

If he was a Portsmouth style shyster the signs are not obvious, family ties with the club rather than wanted arms dealers for example. And investing in long term infrastructure of the club doesn't really make sense for that, building the training ground, and any stadium risk is on him.

No doubt you're right about being vigilant, but all the signs are good. People say his wealth is none of our business - I'd love to know and I'd love to know where it came from, and I do think it is to some extent 'our business'. But Palace fans who think they've uncovered his true and complete wealth (or relative lack of) on google are the ones kidding themselves, not us.

Last edited:

Seagull1967

Aug 8, 2009
Barnsley

This is a valid point and it is a question which needs to be asked! At the end of the day Brighton would not be here if it was not down to the fans who unearthed the issues all them years ago and followed the club at it's lowest ebb. It is something we all as fans should be mindful and appreciate now what we have...

Feb 14, 2010
What I'm surprised about is that palace fans have missed the point, the money comes from club revenue like season tickets. The other money of £100 Million for the ground, well that is all well totally fine.. its from apparently er off shore gambling... oh

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've wondered about the chairman's wealth, no doubt about it. But his family's history with the club, his position as a lifelong fan himself, and the way the whole deal appears to have been set up makes me as near to 100% confident as I can be about it. It's clearly not a profit making venture: as another poster has said, if it was a mysterious foreign investor a la Crawley or possibly Leeds, or just a shady individual of dubious origin and financial status (take your pick from any of Pompey's previous five or six owners) then it might be cause for concern. But we know who owns the club, we know exactly what's happened with the funding for the stadium. The fees being paid for Mackail-Smith, Hoskins and Buckley are not massive in the context of the division we find ourselves in, the only reason they're causing any fuss at all is because we've spent little more than peanuts since the 1980s, while pretty much every club in the League has at one point or another broken their own transfer record.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
The real answer lies in the club establishing proven revenue streams, hence the recent emphasis on 1901 Club and season tickets paid monthly.

Once you have a regular proven monthly income you can then securitise that - financial institutions will lend you money based on your future income streams.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
There is also the argument that if The Amex is a 'gamble' by Bloom and that everything rides on us getting to the Premier League, why aren't we going out and spending £5M on centre-halves ala Matt Mills to Leicester.

The major thing to remember from this is that when the plans were originally submitted, the business case was based around us borrowing from banks etc. Bloom WAS the back-up, because he had the CASH available! So this insistance that he didn't have the money is bollocks, because we would never have got approval to build the ground in the first place.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
I've wondered about the chairman's wealth, no doubt about it. But his family's history with the club, his position as a lifelong fan himself, and the way the whole deal appears to have been set up makes me as near to 100% confident as I can be about it. It's clearly not a profit making venture: as another poster has said, if it was a mysterious foreign investor a la Crawley or possibly Leeds, or just a shady individual of dubious origin and financial status (take your pick from any of Pompey's previous five or six owners) then it might be cause for concern. But we know who owns the club, we know exactly what's happened with the funding for the stadium. The fees being paid for Mackail-Smith, Hoskins and Buckley are not massive in the context of the division we find ourselves in, the only reason they're causing any fuss at all is because we've spent little more than peanuts since the 1980s, while pretty much every club in the League has at one point or another broken their own transfer record.

It could be a profit making exercise. I am not denying that Tony Bloom is an Albion fan but if we gain promotion this season to the premiership - then the club will be worth far more than the amount currently spent (and that includes the training facility spend). Also don't forget that this deal wasn't straightforward. The clubs original intention was to seek commercial loans to finance at least a proportion of the build. The crunch put an end to that and Tony obstensibly stumped up the whole amount. However, i don't think he has ever declared why he didn't do this in the first place as the terms of his interest free loan are obviously more beneficial to the club.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
The major thing to remember from this is that when the plans were originally submitted, the business case was based around us borrowing from banks etc. Bloom WAS the back-up, because he had the CASH available! So this insistance that he didn't have the money is bollocks, because we would never have got approval to build the ground in the first place.

Again - why go to the banks if you are a fan and have the cash to spare?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Again - why go to the banks if you are a fan and have the cash to spare?
Two possible reasons that spring immediately to mind:
1. £100m odd is still a big hit to take to almost anyone.
2. Bloom was bankrolling the club to a large extent but Dick Knight was still in control, and probably wanted to stay that way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here