Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How has the CREDIT CRUNCH affected you?

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
personally not at all.

but we have two businesses, one is flourishing and going from strength to strength. the export from this country has been outstanding recently and we are making more money on trips than ever before because people elsewhere want to cash in quick. the other i am moving a factory from england to egypt for reasons that have nothing to do with credit crunch and so those staff are being laid off or however you call it when your job moves and you don't move with it. we started planning this long before credit crunch stuff happened and i feel very shitty that the people who i am leaving with no job will struggle very hard to get another job in the same line of work because the work is just not there anymore. i almost wish we were not doing this. it is horrid to think that they have wives and kids and mortgages and now no jobs.

but not 'shitty' enough to reconsider?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
That 62-3 Brighton v Bristol City programmme has reached £72 on eBay.

Get in!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
too far down the line now. we did go back and offer relocation packages and jobs in egypt to some but no one wanted to go, despite how awful things are meant to be here.

How many people did you expect to want to relocate to Egypt?

What line are the businesses in? Must be like owning some sort of golden goose right now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
excluding work trips i've managed 13 hols this year..Vegas, NY, Paris, Madeira, Amsterdam (x3), marbella, cannes, antwerp and Barcelona

No wonder they gave you the chop then. You can't have managed much more than about a weeks work this year.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
well i don't know about anybody else, but reading starry and dwayne and their smug self-congratulation has me hoping for a dose of credit crunch misery for the both of them.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Well I am down to my last case of Hennessy VSOP, and the very last humidor of Romeo 'Y' Julietta cigars.

My God, I fear for the future...

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
too far down the line now. we did go back and offer relocation packages and jobs in egypt to some but no one wanted to go, despite how awful things are meant to be here.

Is this meant to be serious. How many people did you expect to relocate to Eygpt ? :lol:. No come on mate you did what was best for you and your famil y and fair play but if you were that bothered about the people you laid off you would not have done it. You can't have it both ways. I'm alright Jack.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
As a graduate I think I have been affected by the downturn in graduate-level jobs. I am on a tempoary contract, which is due to run out soon. I have been applying for jobs that I could have got when I left school at 16 - which is gutting. I am 23 and have a Masters' degree. The fact is there are very few 'graduate' posts around at the moment.

Makes me feel that education was a big fat waste of time, especially when the debt from my student loan is thrown into the equation.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I was made redundant 7 weeks ago, at the time it seemed like a disaster, big mortgage to pay on a proerty I only bought a few months ago etc. I was told not to come into work while I served 3 months notice. This was good news went straight out looking for work,and managed to find something that fit my profile quickly..a few weeks later, and 5 interviews later I got the job.

the job pays more, is for a far more dynamic company than my previous employer and I start Decmber 1st, 2 working days after my contract is terminated. In addition, in line with investment banks policies as a whole, I will be getting a very generous pay off. So all in all, the economic downturn has been very kind to me so far. I would not like to be in the hunt for a job at the moment though, it is GRUESOME out there and I was very lucky to find something quickly (especially in the financial services industry)

and safers, excluding work trips i've managed 13 hols this year..Vegas, NY, Paris, Madeira, Amsterdam (x3), marbella, cannes, antwerp and Barcelona

hopefully the good times roll on....but I fear for grimmer times ahead...

Good luck to you Dwayne.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
Is this meant to be serious. How many people did you expect to relocate to Eygpt ? :lol:. No come on mate you did what was best for you and your famil y and fair play but if you were that bothered about the people you laid off you would not have done it. You can't have it both ways. I'm alright Jack.

I'm with you on this US. Paddy has obviously decided to relocate to Egypt to cut costs and increase his profit. Fair play, it's your business so do what you like with it. You clearly have a very comfortable standard of living going from what you have posted on here (the most recent one being that your kid wants iPod speakers so he gets a Bose system for example when most people would be baulking at spending more than £30 on them)

The fact is, you've made your choice to protect your own family, but the bleating about feeling so sorry for all the families you are depriving of their livelihoods is bollocks. Frankly, if you were my boss, I would be REALLY pissed off to hear that! It's not like you've been forced to relocate is it?!

Cazza

Sep 8, 2008
yes in good and bad,

we have a tracker mortgage so ours has gone down about £120 this month.

however i became unemployed at end of september and really struggling to find a decent job. salaries are horrendous in this area. lots of interviews and i have been offered 2 jobs one i had to turn down as they screwed me over on the salary. however i think i will soon be working up tescos just to keep additional monies coming in.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
closed my property related company several months ago, was out of work for 6mnts. Took a courier job with some labouring invoved, so totally different from office based work, but in the long run money about the same....but i do miss the bungs!!

there is work about but you may have to do things you would have never thought of doing 2 yrs back...like I am doing.

I am seriously thinking of leaving UK and just f***ing off. I know not much better elsewhere, but the cost of living and lfe in genreal is better.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Like US I'm a Mortgage Broker and the market is shitter than a pile of shit in a shit factory.

I do some freelance tutoring which brings in a bit and I've got an interview next month for some more consultancy work so hopefully that will help.

Mrs Hiney is also self-employed and her business is also being hit so all in all we are not happy.

Seriously thinking of selling up and f***ing off somewhere in a Winnebago.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Like US I'm a Mortgage Broker and the market is shitter than a pile of shit in a shit factory.

I do some freelance tutoring which brings in a bit and I've got an interview next month for some more consultancy work so hopefully that will help.

Mrs Hiney is also self-employed and her business is also being hit so all in all we are not happy.

Seriously thinking of selling up and f***ing off somewhere in a Winnebago.

Of EVERY profession in the UK I would think being a mortgage broker is the worst profession to be in now. Utter carnage with no signs of it getting better for a long time in fact probably worse if that is possible to imagine.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I may have to consider working at Tesco's over Xmas as well.

D

Deleted User X18H

I was made redundant 7 weeks ago, at the time it seemed like a disaster, big mortgage to pay on a proerty I only bought a few months ago etc. I was told not to come into work while I served 3 months notice. This was good news went straight out looking for work,and managed to find something that fit my profile quickly..a few weeks later, and 5 interviews later I got the job.

the job pays more, is for a far more dynamic company than my previous employer and I start Decmber 1st, 2 working days after my contract is terminated. In addition, in line with investment banks policies as a whole, I will be getting a very generous pay off. So all in all, the economic downturn has been very kind to me so far. I would not like to be in the hunt for a job at the moment though, it is GRUESOME out there and I was very lucky to find something quickly (especially in the financial services industry)

and safers, excluding work trips i've managed 13 hols this year..Vegas, NY, Paris, Madeira, Amsterdam (x3), marbella, cannes, antwerp and Barcelona

hopefully the good times roll on....but I fear for grimmer times ahead...

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here