Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How has the CREDIT CRUNCH affected you?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
too far down the line now. we did go back and offer relocation packages and jobs in egypt to some but no one wanted to go, despite how awful things are meant to be here.
BT did exactly the same thing in the 90's by closing down call centres and offices in the south and moving the work up north. Of the 200 working in one of the call centres in Brighton only 9 of us moved up north , 5 transferred into clerical jobs on the engineering side of the business AND the rest took voluntary redundancy.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Leave it much longer and you will become unemployable hb&b , being out of work for a while gives an impression to a potential employer that you are a doley or a loser.

Absolutely. In Jobcentreplus, I'm seeing graduates being made redundant, going for interviews for basic call centre work and getting rejected. You need to start looking for jobs ASAP otherwise time will roll on and there just won't be anything out there. You can't stay on JSA forever. With more and more redundancies, even the most basic admin jobs are becoming really competitive. If HB&B carries on the way he/she is going, then New Deal could be on the cards. Scary stuff.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I found out the hard way 5 years ago how difficult it is to get a job when you are in your forties. The majority of companies/businesses take the opinion that you dont have much ambition by staying with one employer for nearly 23 years. Its hard doing manual labour work on minimum wage because nothing else is available when previously you've worked in an office environment and even worse when you do your back in with constant heavy lifting. I only got a job in a supermarket in 2006 as they wanted their staff to reflect the community , so they took on people who had experience of life and a mature attitude.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
I am a self-employed financial consultant thingy and I have loads fo work thanks to the crunch. I implore you to all complain about any policies you have taken out that aren't doing as well as you had thought. Also, complain about bank charges, which I know are on hold. BUT... credit card charges people. CLAIM CLAIM CLAIM and don't give up until you get it all back.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Of EVERY profession in the UK I would think being a mortgage broker is the worst profession to be in now. Utter carnage with no signs of it getting better for a long time in fact probably worse if that is possible to imagine.

It's not,trust me the building trade is worse.We've Just finished some retirement homes in my village of East Preston and the next project is not till the new year,in bloody Portsmouth! There's an awful lot of tradesmen scraping around for work.If only the Romanians would f*** off.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
This is the main reason I have not gone back to work yet but I won't be before February now. In the new year I thoroughly expect to get a job in R/I fairly swiftly and if not I might by a pub:D

Well, good luck with that swift return to full time employment. It's just a shame that this isn't mirrored accross other sectors or to those who have unfortunately been treated much more harshly by the credit crunch.

And if you honestly have the capital to buy a pub, do you really need that JSA?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Jobs safe - I've had a promotion held off but given the pay increment for it (its the ancilliary costs of the new post they don't want to bear, namely my mileage going from under a thousand to about 60,000 a year)
Fuels gone down
Supermarkets are at price war with each other here
General retailers are at price war with Northern Ireland
Interest on my car loan has collapsed
Traffic on the roads is down as people have lost their jobs

So far, I'm getting only minorly positive effects. Not expecting it to last though!

Working for a not-for-profit voluntary sector organisation, I'm surprised at how well our business is holding up. Ignoring the contract work we do on behalf of public sector agencies (which is secure income), the volume of business we are doing with other (mainly voluntary sector) customers has risen by ten per cent in each of the past two years, and this growth is showing no signs of slowing down.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Some law firms are struggling, but ours seems to be holding up well, turnover up a fair amount on this time last year, although real estate department has made redundancies. Qualify in September which could be tricky though, not sure if there will be many jobs for newly qualified solicitors around.

On a tracker mortgage so enjoying the rate drop, wife is in a safe public sector job so not suffering too bad fortunately. House value has plumetted obviously, so won't be moving for a couple of years.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Made redundant a couple of weeks ago from a fairly safe position.

Spend approx 3-4 hours a day looking and despite being well qualified there is bugger all out there at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here