Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Glen Johnson missed the England team photo

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
IT WAS INTENTIONAL. He was TOLD to do that. Read the comments from Cole after the game. They make it clear that they know the French want to get the ball into the middle to do quick one-twos, so they allowed them plenty of space down the wings. It WORKED.

It's Hodgson who you think had a bad game then, not a player following instructions to a TEE.

Nice to have an intelligent response. Fair point on that being the overall tactic. But the parts I'm talking about are when Ribery is level with him or past him in the final 5th of the pitch. I can understand why they let them have possession on the wings when we were all behind the ball, but there were several tmes Johnson let him or someone else past him and he clearly didn’t know he was there until the pass was made. It was obvious by his reaction that he'd switched of and someone else covered. Cole didn’t do that.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm here to help Kumquat - throw me your spade

bighole5qf0.jpg

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Nice to have an intelligent response. Fair point on that being the overall tactic. But the parts I'm talking about are when Ribery is level with him or past him in the final 5th of the pitch. I can understand why they let them have possession on the wings when we were all behind the ball, but there were several tmes Johnson let him or someone else past him and he clearly didn’t know he was there until the pass was made. It was obvious by his reaction that he'd switched of and someone else covered. Cole didn’t do that.

Fair point, had not noticed that, and apologies for shouting. I still think overall, considering what I expected from him up against the likes of Nasri, Benzema and Ribery, he had a good to very good game.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Fair point, had not noticed that, and apologies for shouting. I still think overall, considering what I expected from him up against the likes of Nasri, Benzema and Ribery, he had a good to very good game.

Absolutely agree. Thought he was excellent apart from those mistakes and he's always been quality going forward. Just what worries me is that he is prone to lapses of concentration. I think Ribery on a better day would have punished him and the problem is that with him there we will always need some sort of defensive cover/plan which prevents us from attacking as much as we can.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
From memory it was Eriksson, Emile Heskey, Capello

Marshy has to have a single simple blame figure lined up for each tournament and it alternates between managers and players, regardless of what they do. This tournament is obviously going to be Johnson.

Garbage.

However perhaps I should be blaming Hodgson for the selection rather than Johnson for his poor defending.

I still stand by my assumption he was shit though.

We are all allowed an opinion, I spend my life defending CMS from those who dont see what he does for us, this is no different.
ITs just the boot is on the other foot this time....perhaps thats Johnsons problem...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I still stand by my assumption he was shit though.

There's the rub of it. The single word you've chosen which intimates that your background prejudice against the player, is clouding your objective assesment of his PERFORMANCE in the game in question.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I don't like seeing Johnson in defence, he is great going forward but average in defence. He did have a good game though against France.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
David Brent: Never assume...

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
My english needs brushing up too then it would seem.

My opinion is what i meant.

Anyway. Onto more exciting things, picked up another win on the premium bonds today :)

My assumption is that I am pretty lucky :)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I haven't had a premium bond win for months. My opinion is that some other greedy bastard is nicking all my wins

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Marshy, if Johnson has a poor game against Sweden don't say "I told you so", because it won't be valid at all.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Marshy, if Johnson has a poor game against Sweden don't say "I told you so", because it won't be valid at all.

Quite right too, if he has a good game I wil be the first to say so.

And no one will be hoping that more than me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Quite right too, if he has a good game I wil be the first to say so.

And no one will be hoping that more than me.

Thing is, when you refer to "a good game", do you take into account what is expect of each player?

I.e. Emile Heskey is expected to:

be positionally aware, make space for others, win the ball, hold the ball up, lay it off etc

Not

Score, show flair and technical ability - "he didn't ever look like scoring so he played shit".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here