Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Glen Johnson missed the England team photo

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You can't be RIGHT about someothing that has ALREADY happened and you were WRONG.

You stated he was shit against France. That is incorrect. whatever you say that is WRONG.

I'm giving up. I totally agree with you though. [MENTION=206]Marshy[/MENTION] has basically revealed he has an issue with GJ as a player, and therefore can't accept that he can have a good game. GJ's performance on Friday has no relevance to whether he was shit against France. I think Marshy might be Alan Green's love child.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
You what? Heard it all now.

Looks like Ribery did a lot with all this 'open space' you have imagined. 0 goals, 0 assists.

Lol.

Like I said, go back and watch it. He f***ing gets away with it. He had a good game when he had the ball, but he was constantly drifting out of position.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Must have been.

Im going to hate being right on this one.

Whatever happens in the rest of the tournament, or indeed the whole of his career, will in no way make you right in asserting that he was poor in the game on Monday.

"Glen Johnson is rubbish" = subjective.
"Glen Johnson was rubbish on Monday" = factually incorrect.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
FFS. if he'd been playing in position he wouldn't have had to worry about whether to follow him out wide or not. Ribery wouldn't have even received the ball,.

Im sorry. You think a player can go through a whole game without 'even receiving the ball'?????

NO defender in the WORLD could stop a player ever receiving the ball!!!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've got the Opta stats app on my iPhone. GJ was the 2nd best England passer completing 39 of his 45 passes. Ashley Cole completed 22 of 27.

Of attacking passes, GJ was 3rd best England player with 10 of 13 attacking passes completed. Milner was top with 13 of 15, Welbeck 2nd with 13 of 14.

Stats can be meaningless, and I don't think Johnson is a world beater by any means, in fact I don't rate him massively, but to say he was shit on Monday is frankly ridiculous as most people seem to agree.

Agree entirely.

A little bit confused mind, in why 13 completed passes from 15, is 'better' than 13 from 14.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Whatever happens in the rest of the tournament, or indeed the whole of his career, will in no way make you right in asserting that he was poor in the game on Monday.

We established he doesn't have a clue in his first post on this thread and has continued it through the whole of this thread :thumbsup:

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

He was rubbish off the ball on Monday, but very good on it. That's my opinion anyway. So I'd say subjective for both :0)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If Johnson had been marking him, then the player wouldn't have passed to him.

So, if Johnson had done his job properly, Ribery would NEVER have got the ball?

Sorry for repeating this...but I just HAVE to get that confirmed before I collapse with laughter.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I have absolutely no problem with Johnson, if he signed for Brighton Id be bloody delighted. But at the top end, no where near good enough, we have far better.

The selection of Milner tells you all you need to know. Johnson cannot defend against any half decent wide man, and for me that is unacceptable on the international stage.

Because of this Milner had to play, and this stopped us being anywhere near the attacking force we could be

It does completely unbalance our side.

Therefore he was shit.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Think you missed the point. Nothing to do with him going forward. He kept drifting to centre-back position. Thus leaving acres of space for Ribery. Go back and watch it. Milner covered him when he went forward, which is what is supposed to happen. But when he was supposed to be in the right-back slot he kept coming inside.

On both sides we played very narrow. It was a clear tactic to allow the French to move the ball out wide, as we knew they wanted to play one-twos down the middle. This has been well documented, and Cole was doing exactly the same on the other side. Clearly an intentional tactic.

And guess what? It worked. Ribery had very little joy out wide. Well done Glenn Johnson, I'm sure we can all agree.

Last edited:

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
So, if Johnson had done his job properly, Ribery would NEVER have got the ball?

Sorry for repeating this...but I just HAVE to get that confirmed before I collapse with laughter.

You know that's not what I'm saying. If Johnson had done his job properly then Ribery wouldn't have received the ball in acres of space. You know what i'm saying so stop trying to claim i'm saying something else which is patently ridiculous.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You know that's not what I'm saying. If Johnson had done his job properly then Ribery wouldn't have received the ball in acres of space. You know what i'm saying so stop trying to claim i'm saying something else which is patently ridiculous.

IT WAS INTENTIONAL. He was TOLD to do that. Read the comments from Cole after the game. They make it clear that they know the French want to get the ball into the middle to do quick one-twos, so they allowed them plenty of space down the wings. It WORKED.

It's Hodgson who you think had a bad game then, not a player following instructions to a TEE.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Your not right that's the problem, the only weak link the whole game was James Milner. QUOTE]

What Milner, the only player on our side that seemed to win free kicks (including the one that led to the goal), played his part in shielding the back four and had our best chance of the match which he should have admitedly buried?

Johnson scares me. If we think back to the Brighton game, Lua Lua had much the better of him. Buckley by contrast did not get by Luis Enrique once. He often wanders out of position for his club and he did it to a lesser extent on Monday. I really really hope he does not cost us as I fear he will.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
From memory it was Eriksson, Emile Heskey, Capello

Marshy has to have a single simple blame figure lined up for each tournament and it alternates between managers and players, regardless of what they do. This tournament is obviously going to be Johnson.

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

"if he'd been playing in position he wouldn't have had to worry about whether to follow him out wide or not. Ribery wouldn't have even received the ball"

I rest my case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here