Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Glen Johnson missed the England team photo

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
phew, a few like minded people can see what i am on about then.

Its simple. If your happy with England playing with 2 right backs then pick Johnson

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
phew, a few like minded people can see what i am on about then.

Its simple. If your happy with England playing with 2 right backs then pick Johnson

So you still think he was 'SHIT' on Monday?

Because that was your original statement remember....

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Yep he was shit on monday. :)

Our whole shape/formation/team selection and general lack of attacking play is largely due to having to cover him.

You cant carry 1 international player in a side and get away with it, and that is what we are doing with him in the side.

The selction of Milner tells you he does not trust Johnson.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Anyone playing in front of him is hampered by the fact that Johnson will literally bomb forward, without a second thought, at a moments notice & is stuck covering for him - see James Milner.

Jamie-Redknapp-001.jpg

:clap2:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
It's no different to how we line up when we play barnes out wide to cover the left or right back, I dont think Milner infornt of Johnson is a real issue as long as they can form a good partniship from what I saw Monday I believe they will and will be successful.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I've got the Opta stats app on my iPhone. GJ was the 2nd best England passer completing 39 of his 45 passes. Ashley Cole completed 22 of 27.

Of attacking passes, GJ was 3rd best England player with 10 of 13 attacking passes completed. Milner was top with 13 of 15, Welbeck 2nd with 13 of 14.

Stats can be meaningless, and I don't think Johnson is a world beater by any means, in fact I don't rate him massively, but to say he was shit on Monday is frankly ridiculous as most people seem to agree.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Incorrect.

England spent the more time in their own half than any other team so far in the Euros.

Think you missed the point. Nothing to do with him going forward. He kept drifting to centre-back position. Thus leaving acres of space for Ribery. Go back and watch it. Milner covered him when he went forward, which is what is supposed to happen. But when he was supposed to be in the right-back slot he kept coming inside.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War

Our whole shape/formation/team selection and general lack of attacking play is largely due to having to cover him.

You cant carry 1 international player in a side and get away with it, and that is what we are doing with him in the side.

The selction of Milner tells you he does not trust Johnson.

Were you watching a entirely different game to us?!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Think you missed the point. Nothing to do with him going forward. He kept drifting to centre-back position. Thus leaving acres of space for Ribery. Go back and watch it. Milner covered him when he went forward, which is what is supposed to happen. But when he was supposed to be in the right-back slot he kept coming inside.

Oh, i didnt realise you knew the exact tactics that Hodgson would have told Johnson to follow.

Perhaps the fact that You dont want to be isolated against Ribery one on one, therefore it's better to almost leave him out with on his own? The moment you comit and he skips past you you're in trouble.

In the first half the ball went to ribery, Johnson let him get all the way to the area before easing him off the ball. Brilliant defending.

If he had followed him out wide and missed his tackle, Ribery would have been clean through.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Must have been.

Im going to hate being right on this one.

Your not right that's the problem, the only weak link the whole game was James Milner. Cole and Glen Johnson were superb throughout, they kept Nasri and Ribery quiet mostly all game, and you can't blame the goal on Glen Johnson when we all switched off and got rightly punished. So now tell me, were you watching a different game to us or not?!

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Think you missed the point. Nothing to do with him going forward. He kept drifting to centre-back position. Thus leaving acres of space for Ribery. Go back and watch it.

You what? Heard it all now.

Looks like Ribery did a lot with all this 'open space' you have imagined. 0 goals, 0 assists.

Lol.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Oh, i didnt realise you knew the exact tactics that Hodgson would have told Johnson to follow.

Perhaps the fact that You dont want to be isolated against Ribery one on one, therefore it's better to almost leave him out with on his own? The moment you comit and he skips past you you're in trouble.

In the first half the ball went to ribery, Johnson let him get all the way to the area before easing him off the ball. Brilliant defending.

If he had followed him out wide and missed his tackle, Ribery would have been clean through.

FFS. if he'd been playing in position he wouldn't have had to worry about whether to follow him out wide or not. Ribery wouldn't have even received the ball, let alone get all the way to the box. He didn't see Ribery because he was spending too much time ball-watching. Maybe we are talking about different incidents but anyway, the point is he is not good enough or focused enough to play that position for a whole game. As Marshy says, anyone else and Milner probably wouldn't have started.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here