Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobia and football

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I don't want to divert this thread from turning into a binfest, but could someone please clarify where my manly status would stand if I straightened my hair and wore guyliner because my girlfriend asked me to?

Makes you a BENNY. Dont do anything the bird tells you to. A REAL man would say NO.

(However it would be allowed if it was for fancy dress or theatre/tv acting as I appreciate make up etc is needed in those instances)

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
But....we laugh it off because it's not true and away from footie it's not something we carry around with us. A few gay mates of mine are put off going to footie because of the chanting and the fact that something they have no control over is used as a term of abuse. Footie does not welcome gay fans. Brighton and Hove Albion do sod all about it at home games as does the rest of footie.

These arguments about un-PC chanting are red herrings. The same thing was said about racist chants 30 odd years ago and now it just is not tolerated. The same can and should happen about homophobic chanting.

Someone gave me a blue and white-striped scarf before Christmas. I wore it a few times - including watching the Albion win against Southamptn in a pub - but felt I was in disguise as it were. Someone asked me if I was a Colchester United fan!

I then wore it in Croydon and got some dirty looks, so when I met a friend of a friend in a pub in Windsor who I knew was an Albion fan, after about 3 pints in a spirit of Xmas bonhomie I presented it to him.

Oh and apparently he's gay....

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I haven't actually got them in my bag today but I'm pretty sure they're the £5 ones I bought at Argos. If I use hers they're GHDs apparently (have I got that right?)

Thanks in advance

Those GHD ones are the bollocks.

Pity we can't have another thread entirely devoted to male grooming/waxing/straightening

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I haven't actually got them in my bag today but I'm pretty sure they're the £5 ones I bought at Argos. If I use hers they're GHDs apparently (have I got that right?)

Thanks in advance

Bin the Argos ones. Worse than useless and stick to the GHDs. You could also think about investing in an anti-frizz cream that you put onto the hair pre-straightening. Something like VO5 smoothing creme.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Personally I dont find it offensive because I have nothing to be offended about. As far as I am concerned its a bit of banter between two sets of fans. Even though I am Brighton born and bred, was around long, long before Brighton became associated with homosexuality, and more to the point straight, I recognise that Brighton has now become stereotyped and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Why should it?

Word.

Except that when my son was younger I did find it objectionable that he had to hear it. The Play-Off final was the worst. Worse then the chanting was some pillocks in a van baring their arses to our car of mainly 14 year-olds in a traffic queue on the M4.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Justin Fashanu - wouldn't rate your chances of getting an interview though...

I wonder if the fact that many of today's yoof use the word "gay" where ten years ago we would have said "shit" (e.g "that Crystal Palace shirt is well GAY"), will have any effect on what is seen as acceptable to say in a few years time.

Just think what stick Fashanu would have got at the Goldstone if people knew he was a poof as well as black! :lolol:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Pity we can't have another thread entirely devoted to male grooming/waxing/straightening

As I said on the school closure thread. Thats why this country is going to the dogs. Was a time when men were REAL men. Not namby pamby image conscious, man purse carrying bennys.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I find calling Brighton fans poofs offensive. The vast majority of us are not, and do not like the Club being associated with such people.

I can remember the days when if there were no away fans to fight after a night game, it was a regular thing to trash the Spotty Dog pub which used to be full of them when they first started taking over Brighton.

Wrong ! I think you'll find a vast majority of us are tolerant and understanding people who are happy to let people get on with their sexual orientation. Unfortunatley there is the odd biggot about who seems to think that somebody's sexual orientation somehow impedes on that persons sensitivities.

aviaviavioioioi

Sep 29, 2009
Seaford/Brighton
That always been football culture some teams should get done as they go too far with the chants. The gay chants the ones i have heard are not offensive unless you are really sensitive and don't understand the Terrace culture. If you can find something to take the piss out of the other fans people will.

Players wifes get the "does she take it up the arse" chants also.

Tottenham got all the jewish abuse but they laughed it off the term "Yids" now is what spurs fans call each other. I don't have a problem with someone shouting "your a poof your a poof" as its silly and makes them look like twats not us.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Calm down, I am not trying to out any players. I wondered if there were any players that have been open about their sexuality that was all. Blimey.

Damn, are you as ignorant as the people you are trying to 'help' ? Nice cheap way of making a living, maybe the Daily Mail would like your CV.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Bin the Argos ones. Worse than useless and stick to the GHDs. You could also think about investing in an anti-frizz cream that you put onto the hair pre-straightening. Something like VO5 smoothing creme.

Kerestace heat senstive cream surely? :blush:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Damn, are you as ignorant as the people you are trying to 'help' ? Nice cheap way of making a living, maybe the Daily Mail would like your CV.

What the fcuk is wrong with you? I am not trying to 'help' anyone and neither am I getting paid for the article if you must know.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

What part of "openly gay" are you struggling with? He's not looking to out anyone. He's already told you that.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Kerestace heat senstive cream surely? :blush:

That'd work but if hypothetically I wanted some then where would I get it seeing as I searched high and low in Boots for it a few weeks back with no success?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Wrong ! I think you'll find a vast majority of us are tolerant and understanding people who are happy to let people get on with their sexual orientation. Unfortunatley there is the odd biggot about who seems to think that somebody's sexual orientation somehow impedes on that persons sensitivities.

Complete crap.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Justin Fashanu - wouldn't rate your chances of getting an interview though...

I wonder if the fact that many of today's yoof use the word "gay" where ten years ago we would have said "shit" (e.g "that Crystal Palace shirt is well GAY"), will have any effect on what is seen as acceptable to say in a few years time.

A seance - everybody holding hands round a table? Sounds really GAY to me...

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
These arguments about un-PC chanting are red herrings. The same thing was said about racist chants 30 odd years ago and now it just is not tolerated. The same can and should happen about homophobic chanting.

Correct me if I'm wrong here mate but I thought that racist chanting at football was, mainly, directed at Black footballers which therefore means that it is in effect aimed at one, or a small number of, individuals...I think this is the main difference between racist and homophobic abuse.

If a player was openly Gay and was getting personal abuse throughout a match then I think that very soon the attitude of the crowds and authorities would change...when abuse is directed at a huge group of supporters it is obviously not intended to single out an individual so is broadly more acceptable. I suspect this is the main reason that professional sportsmen who are Gay almost never admit it during their playing days...they know that they would get constant abuse which would likely affect their game. Ironically if there were more Gay players prepared to come out then very quickly this type of abuse would be tackled and stopped just like it was with racism.

If your gay friends feel that they can't go to football because they would feel personally offended by opposition fans chanting that ALL brighton fans are gay...they probably are missing the point/joke but I understand their sensitivity.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Here we are: a bunch of straight (ish) blokes going on about "doesn't bother me"/"only banter" but if you'd had a lifetime of society telling you that your sexuality was immoral or wrong and something to be mocked then I may just take the abuse a bit more seriously than I do.

This. Spot on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here