Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobia and football

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Racism is frowned upon from most of society

Homophobia isn't frowned upon generally amongst men (aside from NSC). Particularly amongst football men where they are generally a bit more man-ly it will always be accepted to fire the ultimate insult of being Gay

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
You've completely got the wrong end of the stick, it's been explained numerous times and you still don't get it.

Please just move away from the thread now. You're turning it into a binfest and it doesn't need to be like that.

I'm turning into a 'binfest' ? Why raise the issue in the first place ? Never mind, it's clearly beyond you.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Homophobia isn't frowned upon generally amongst men (aside from NSC). Particularly amongst football men where they are generally a bit more man-ly it will always be accepted to fire the ultimate insult of being Gay

:lolol:

I don't ever recall the authorities or stewards trying to quieten 300+ people singing "Does your boyfriend..?" and so on.

I think everyone is far too apathetic to deal with it, or more likely, do not have the balls to carry out their 'Kick Homophobia Out of Football' campaign.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Rather than just the gay men [and women] amongst the Albion fans, I've always wondered how the gay fans among the other team's support feel, when their peers start spewing homophobic bile. For obviously, they are there - amongst all sets of fans, whatever they'd like to pretend.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Can you please just leave me alone, I really do not understand what I have done wrong here. I am just researching and writing an article and wanted some input from fans. Quite why you are calling me an ignorant twat is baffling.

Well if you can't see it what's the point of me explaining ? Frankly don't you get the notion that the majority of Gay people would rather get on with their lives rather than people like yourself raising the issue ? Do you jot get the fact that they live happily without your 'help' ?

Obviously not, go and find another 'PC Worthy cause to support'.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
So if someone is gay ( openly or not ) how exactly does it affect you in a negative way ? If a gay person wants to come and watch the football and support the Albion they have as much right as a striaght person. Really can't see why people would get a bee in their bonnet about a gay person being an Albion supporter - it has f*** all to do with anyone else !

Anyone who states "I hate poofters" etc might as well say "I hate everyone who's name begins with the letter A" or "I hate everyone with size 9 feet" - all are equally as stupid !

Someone posts his honest opinion about gay banter and stated he finds it offensive so you automatticially come out with that old tosh of being a bigot?
Get a grip.
I don't particially like it myself but put up with it.What gets me going is when you meet someone face to face and they think your gay because you support the Albion.Come close to punch ups over this.I find that over stepping my boundary.
But i'm a bigot though.

Last edited:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Well if you can't see it what's the point of me explaining ? Frankly don't you get the notion that the majority of Gay people would rather get on with their lives rather than people like yourself raising the issue ? Do you jot get the fact that they live happily without your 'help' ?

What is this 'help' or 'PC cause' stuff?

I am writing an article about homophobic chanting AT football. I am NOT writing an article campaigning to RID homophobic chanting at football. There is quite a difference.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Someone posts his honest opinion about gay banter and stated he finds it offensive so you automatticially come out with that old tosh of being a bigot?
Get a grip.
I don't particially like it myself but put up with it.What gets me going is when you meet someone face to face and they think your gay because you support the Albion.Come close to punch ups over this.I find that over stepping my boundary.
But i'm a bigot though.

Eh ? You might wqant to re-read what Pork Pie posted and my response. My comments were aimed at his following statement :

"and do not like the Club being associated with such people.

I can remember the days when if there were no away fans to fight after a night game, it was a regular thing to trash the Spotty Dog pub which used to be full of them when they first started taking over Brighton."

I have no issue with people finding homophobic chants offensive - I do as well - but Pork Pie seems to not like the idea that a gay person would support the club. So much so he liked the days when he used to trash a gay pub. The way he uses the word "then" implies he's a biggot to me.

I haven't called you a biggot, indeed I agree with you that I don't like the automatic assumption that as an Albion fan I must be gay. I find the assumption I'm anything other than a football fan offensive rather than just the assumption that I'm gay.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Eh ? You might wqant to re-read what Pork Pie posted and my response. My comments were aimed at his following statement :

"and do not like the Club being associated with such people.

I can remember the days when if there were no away fans to fight after a night game, it was a regular thing to trash the Spotty Dog pub which used to be full of them when they first started taking over Brighton."

I have no issue with people finding homophobic chants offensive - I do as well - but Pork Pie seems to not like the idea that a gay person would support the club. So much so he liked the days when he used to trash a gay pub. The way he uses the word "then" implies he's a biggot to me.

I haven't called you a biggot, indeed I agree with you that I don't like the automatic assumption that as an Albion fan I must be gay. I find the assumption I'm anything other than a football fan offensive rather than just the assumption that I'm gay.

Fair enough mate point taken:thumbsup:

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells

have you surveyed the Gay community about this ?

Football only got serious about racism when it became obvious to the people at the top that there were so many potentially brilliant, young, black British players that there was a point in making the game attractive to them.

The same perception doesn't apply to gay players.

Yoda

English & European
Also, have a look at the Brighton Bandits website, they are a gay football team and have some interest stuff to say.

I still remember that football game we played against them when it started raining horizontally and half our team ran off the pitch making us look gay. :lolol::lolol::lolol:

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
Football only got serious about racism when it became obvious to the people at the top that there were so many potentially brilliant, young, black British players that there was a point in making the game attractive to them.

Guess it's not likely to change any time soon either. It's not so easy to identify a gay player.

Chants don't bother me though. All good banter.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Get a grip.
But i'm a bigot though.

So you accept that it's a problem in football then (& especially when you follow the Albion)? If so, is it not better that people work in a positive way to eradicate homophobia - or is the solution to victimize gay people? How people answer this particular conunrum seperates the bigots from the enlightened imo. And let's not forget: the personal revolution is the most important part in any revolution innit..

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

I think that also most people have met many black people and come to learn that most black people are ok, and have now become generally accepted as part of society. The same cannot be said for "gays" apart from maybe in "cosmopolitan" towns like Brighton, where they can even flaunt their sexuality when running half of the local authority's departments!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My thoughts are that it bit annoyingand goes a little far - and it is pretty false and just a stereotype - Brighton doesn't have thousands and thousands more gay more gay people than most citys.

Wilko - it's funnyyou mention the racism thing cos i always reffer to this - the football leagueput it in te same category as racism yeh - so if Leicester fans for example sang 'you're just a town full of faggotts' and Brighton sang back (for arguments sake - i know Brighton wouldn't go this low) 'You're just a town full of Paki's' (obviously a slang word for Asians as Leiceste has a high Asian poulation - jst as faggot is a slang ofensive term for gay)- there would onl ybe one set of fans gettin in serious trouble - The Brighton ones..
Also it annoys me when Palace fans for example try and taunt etc on here about it - what would the reaction be if a Brighton fan started slating Croyden for it's high black community?!

My thoughts are that tho the football league put Racism and homophobia inthe same categry now but there's no way tis is ever going to work - racism is regarded as far far worse in society in my opinion

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

But many players may be gay but are unwilling to openly admit it because of attitudes towards it. If more players openly 'came out' do you think the seriousness of anti-homophobia would follow the same path as anti-racism campaigns (albeit about 20 years behind)?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
have you surveyed the Gay community about this ?

Given you're a God botherer have you ? I know full well just how some 'Good Christians' treat Gays. Go check out your Bible to find something you can quote out of context.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here