Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobia and football

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
But many players may be gay but are unwilling to openly admit it because of attitudes towards it. If more players openly 'came out' do you think the seriousness of anti-homophobia would follow the same path as anti-racism campaigns (albeit about 20 years behind)?

I guess that most gay players would rather just get on and play football rather than spearhead any kind of campaign.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
So you accept that it's a problem in football then (& especially when you follow the Albion)? If so, is it not better that people work in a positive way to eradicate homophobia - or is the solution to victimize gay people? How people answer this particular conunrum seperates the bigots from the enlightened imo. And let's not forget: the personal revolution is the most important part in any revolution innit..

You appear to be suggesting that so called "homophobia" is a bad thing? You may live in a town infested with poofs, but not everyone is happy to accept such behaviour, including large elements of The Church.

Wilko ...

What about women's football? I know we are talking about a different level of the game, but I think you'd find that it's a world where there are a lot more openly lesbian players to be found.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Wilko, Your article would be far better if you got a balance opinion from other clubs message boards. NSC is very one sided on this issue compared to general male feelings

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
is it offensive? Well yes all abusive chants are offensive to someone, so why the kid gloves treatment as Gays are not picked out in the crowd and most see it as banter.

What if its replaced with something more sectarian and antagonistic?

Its like playing wack-a-toad at the fairground. You either attempt to sanatise all of football(Good luck), or just accept it as its banter.

It is mainly political payback for the gay vote than any reasoned impact on Gays unless you can directly connect football banter with gays being beaten up.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Wilko ...

What about women's football? I know we are talking about a different level of the game, but I think you'd find that it's a world where there are a lot more openly lesbian players to be found.

Even though many of them look like they could be? :ohmy:

Women's rugby players look even more like candidates. :facepalm:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Wilko ...

True, I suppose that women's football does not get the same media attention and exposure though.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
.... ..... .....

It is mainly political payback for the gay vote than any reasoned impact on Gays unless you can directly connect football banter with gays being beaten up.

That and the fact that the politicos appear to have more than their fair share of poofs in their ranks.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Wilko, Your article would be far better if you got a balance opinion from other clubs message boards. NSC is very one sided on this issue compared to general male feelings

Good point.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Another contributory factor that no one has really mentioned yet is the attitude of the media towards gay sportsmen in General. Actually, scrap that the merest hint of Homosexual activity among sportsmen.

Cast your minds back to the alleged incident between Jermaine Pennant and Ashley Cole where they were putting mobile phones down each others pants and making them vibrate...the tabloid papers went hysterical with innuendo and humourous "captions" alongside photos of the pair of them.

How did we get to hear the rumours around Le Saux, Campbell and others? The media have made it OK to laugh at Gays so the bovine f***ing spanners that read them think its funny too.

Imagine if the Sun published pictures of Sol Campbell with a bone through his nose and a massive Afro, or Darren Bent swinging on a tyre on a rope like a gibbon...no one would think THAT was funny.

Would they.

But many players may be gay but are unwilling to openly admit it because of attitudes towards it. If more players openly 'came out' do you think the seriousness of anti-homophobia would follow the same path as anti-racism campaigns (albeit about 20 years behind)?
Anti-racism in football is reinforced by a very well established consensus (at ALL levels of society) that racism is a bad thing.

As long as significant elements in society continue to believe (genuinely) that homosexuality is "a sin", "a disease" or "a perversion", the same cannot be said for anti-homophobia.

Football didn't spearhead anti-racism. It certainly won't spearhead anti-homophobia.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
MAybe he could ask Millwall or Cardiff what they think about it? :lol:

There is a Gay Millwall supporters site somewhere called "Pink Lions" or something.

It was posted on here a while back so us confident heterosexuals could rip the piss out of Millwall.

Hang on...we do'nt do that at brighton.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Imagine if the Sun published pictures of Sol Campbell with a bone through his nose and a massive Afro, or Darren Bent swinging on a tyre on a rope like a gibbon...no one would think THAT was funny.

Would they.

Unfortunately I think a lot of people would find that VERY funny.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Given you're a God botherer have you ? I know full well just how some 'Good Christians' treat Gays. Go check out your Bible to find something you can quote out of context.

hahaha - you are such a massive plum. I could have laid the COE fortune on you replying with the old God bothering shite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here