Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobia and football

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Or, perhaps, religion in general is a nasty, small minded, primitive activity that Mankind could well do without to help us grow up as a species & achieve all that we can be rather than being a scared,petty little group of monkeys?

hang on....I thought it was all about living in a society that accepts ?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
hang on....I thought it was all about living in a society that accepts ?

Oh I don't mind if people want to believe in whatever they like, sea monsters, yeti's, the Surrey Panther a huge Man in the clouds who wants to send you to hell for kissing boys.

It's just such a pity thats all.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What I don't understand is why some people think homosexuality is a lifestyle issue yet it exists in the animal kingdom as well as amongst humans.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
What I don't understand is why some people think homosexuality is a lifestyle issue yet it exists in the animal kingdom as well as amongst humans.

Because some people are ignorant dickheads?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
why is it a pity ? I think it's quite nice

It is nice. Nice in a joyless bigoted way.

I'm not talking necessarily about your born agains...they're nice in a smug "your'e off to hell and I'm not" sort of way. I like them because they just ignore all the bits in the Bible where God is being really really horrid and nasty, and only read the bits when Jesus is being nice to everyone.

They also have those little cartoons of jesus being dead cool and do things like "outreach" where they go and bore the arses off some bored kids or encourage homeless people to stay homeless by giving them some lentil soup.

Now your proper hardcore zealots...thats some great Joylessness right there. Praise the Lord.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I weary of the gay chants. I'm not offended but then I'm not gay. Same as a Cardiff fan being called a sheepshagger. I doubt very much any Cardiff fan has ever shagged a sheep but the "banter" that us straight Brighton fans are cool with - that's someone being abusive about someone else's sexuality.

The "boyfriend" chant even though really crap and low-level is chucked at us as an insult. Now either you think homophobia is wrong or you think its okay. Same as racism. Lord B makes the very very good point about us hypothetically referring to Bradford fans as a town full of pakis as a response to a town full of queers chant from them and how it's now perceived. I really cannot see the difference between the two. It's meant to be offensive and its offensive about something someone has no control over.

I'm not getting offended by proxy, I just think it's hypocritical for footie fans to say racism = wrong, homophobia = banter and I also think that just because we as straight Brighton fans think its funny and maybe some gay footie fans do as well then all is okay and nothing needs to change. I remember reading that some Asian guys used to go and watch Bernard Manning. Jim Davidson has got some black mates. That's all right then.

Of course it isn't and it isn't about this "PC" bollocks either. It's about understanding that perhaps we've evolved a bit from Irish being thick, Blacks being monkeys and gays being mincing nonces. Our humour is no less PC now than the 70s. It's just that we're a bit more sophisticated and knowledgeable about the world than we were.

There are no openly out league players for the very reason that footie doesn't welcome gay blokes. It really is that simple. Would you put up with the abuse? I wouldn't or couldn't.

So..you say banter. I dunno. I really don't. I just hope that footie crowds are as enlightened about homosexuality in the future as they now are about racism.

I've gone on and on. I'm gonna shut up now.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Dosnt bother me at all at matches as ive heard it thousands of times,im not saying that its ok and shouldnt be clamped down on im just saying i havent a problem with it.

Strangely though my 1 football related arrest was at huddersfield many moons ago after a local in the pub said something along the lines of you soft southern beefer and i took offence and laid him out. So i guess from that i would say if chanted i dont pay to much attention but if it was said to me face to face i would probably not be best pleased.

I would imagine theres a good chance of those doing the chanting that a fair few of them are infact gay themselves and do not see it as personal or offensive just merely banter.

I would imagine we all realise that not all palace fans live in a caravan ect ect but we still sing the song.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Strangely though my 1 football related arrest was at huddersfield many moons ago after a local in the pub said something along the lines of you soft southern beefer and i took offence and laid him

:ohmy:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I would imagine theres a good chance of those doing the chanting that a fair few of them are infact gay themselves and do not see it as personal or offensive just merely banter.

The idiots doing all of the 'gay' chanting aren't intelligent enough to consider it as 'banter'. As has been pointed out already a number of times, their intent is to offend and insult. Please don't give the knuckle draggers any credibility by suggesting that they think of it as banter. These are the same cretins that would still be verbally abusing 'Pakis', 'wogs', 'coons' and 'niggers' if the law hadn't made them change their ways-they now use 'gay' insults because they can and the law hasn't stopped them yet.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
It is nice. Nice in a joyless bigoted way.

I'm not talking necessarily about your born agains...they're nice in a smug "your'e off to hell and I'm not" sort of way. I like them because they just ignore all the bits in the Bible where God is being really really horrid and nasty, and only read the bits when Jesus is being nice to everyone.

They also have those little cartoons of jesus being dead cool and do things like "outreach" where they go and bore the arses off some bored kids or encourage homeless people to stay homeless by giving them some lentil soup.

Now your proper hardcore zealots...thats some great Joylessness right there. Praise the Lord.

thats probably the only bit I can be arsed to disagree with!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here