Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobia and football

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
What the fcuk is wrong with you? I am not trying to 'help' anyone and neither am I getting paid for the article if you must know.

The fact that you seem to be concerned as to why gay footballers would want to keep their business just that makes me wonder, what an ignorant twat you are. Clearly you have no idea what it's like to be gay. I grant you I don't either but I know enough gay people to know just how difficult it is to deal with the 'less enlightened' members of society. I might ask you, to paraphrase 'what the fcuk' is wrong with you' ?

Frankly what benefit would there be from your 'journalism' ? Those of us who know better accept gay people as just people with a different (although perfectly legal) agenda and frankly they don't need 'sympathy' as you clearly think they do. Homophobes will always be that way no what 'do gooders' like you think so leave them alone.

aviaviavioioioi

Sep 29, 2009
Seaford/Brighton
Correct me if I'm wrong here mate but I thought that racist chanting at football was, mainly, directed at Black footballers which therefore means that it is in effect aimed at one, or a small number of, individuals...I think this is the main difference between racist and homophobic abuse.

If a player was openly Gay and was getting personal abuse throughout a match then I think that very soon the attitude of the crowds and authorities would change...when abuse is directed at a huge group of supporters it is obviously not intended to single out an individual so is broadly more acceptable. I suspect this is the main reason that professional sportsmen who are Gay almost never admit it during their playing days...they know that they would get constant abuse which would likely affect their game. Ironically if there were more Gay players prepared to come out then very quickly this type of abuse would be tackled and stopped just like it was with racism.

If your gay friends feel that they can't go to football because they would feel personally offended by opposition fans chanting that ALL brighton fans are gay...they probably are missing the point/joke but I understand their sensitivity.
:thumbsup: spot-on

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If your gay friends feel that they can't go to football because they would feel personally offended by opposition fans chanting that ALL brighton fans are gay...they probably are missing the point/joke but I understand their sensitivity.

And I think you're missing the point that it's not a joke to them. It's who they are and thousands of oppo fans think it's fair game to use it as a term of abuse.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
That'd work but if hypothetically I wanted some then where would I get it seeing as I searched high and low in Boots for it a few weeks back with no success?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Hairdressers opposite All Saints in town, it is in a green tube eeeerrrr apparantly.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Those of us who know better accept gay people as just people with a different (although perfectly legal) agenda and frankly they don't need 'sympathy' as you clearly think they do. Homophobes will always be that way no what 'do gooders' like you think so leave them alone.

You've completely got the wrong end of the stick, it's been explained numerous times and you still don't get it.

Please just move away from the thread now. You're turning it into a binfest and it doesn't need to be like that.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I can remember the days when if there were no away fans to fight after a night game, it was a regular thing to trash the Spotty Dog pub which used to be full of them when they first started taking over Brighton.

Must've been quite a sight to behold: all you real men; trashing a gay joint; with your mahoosive stiffies. Did you pull? :wave:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
You've completely got the wrong end of the stick, it's been explained numerous times and you still don't get it.

Please just move away from the thread now. You're turning it into a binfest and it doesn't need to be like that.

:lol:

Love the last bit

On the stewarding of football crowds dimension, this is what I posted on another thread:-

Is there a difference between a mass of supporters chanting "Does your boyfriend know you're here?" and a mass of supporters chanting "You're just a town full of pakis"?

My perception is that Clubs generally deal with the second chant differently from the first.

This says something.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
The fact that you seem to be concerned as to why gay footballers would want to keep their business just that makes me wonder, what an ignorant twat you are. Clearly you have no idea what it's like to be gay. I grant you I don't either but I know enough gay people to know just how difficult it is to deal with the 'less enlightened' members of society. I might ask you, to paraphrase 'what the fcuk' is wrong with you' ?

Frankly what benefit would there be from your 'journalism' ? Those of us who know better accept gay people as just people with a different (although perfectly legal) agenda and frankly they don't need 'sympathy' as you clearly think they do. Homophobes will always be that way no what 'do gooders' like you think so leave them alone.

Can you please just leave me alone, I really do not understand what I have done wrong here. I am just researching and writing an article and wanted some input from fans. Quite why you are calling me an ignorant twat is baffling.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
On the stewarding of football crowds dimension, this is what I posted on another thread:-

Is there a difference between a mass of supporters chanting "Does your boyfriend know you're here?" and a mass of supporters chanting "You're just a town full of pakis"?

My perception is that Clubs generally deal with the second chant differently from the first.

Yep. Spot on.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

This says something.

Why do you think racism and homophobia are treated in such different ways Mr.B?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
And I think you're missing the point that it's not a joke to them. It's who they are and thousands of oppo fans think it's fair game to use it as a term of abuse.

Or alternatively the oppo fans think its funny/insicive to lump everyone in Brighton together as Gay because their thick as shit and we should'nt get aereated about it?

If I was Gay...and theres still time left...It really really would'nt bother me and I would probably feel an affinity with my fellow Brightonians because of it.

After all there is'nt another set of ,predominantly straight, football supporters who have had to suffer the same sort of abuse as I would have all my life.

I don't actually know any Gay men who would want to go to watch the Albion but I know a couple who are from other parts of the country who think the Gay label for Brighton is hilarious and validates them as Brightonians.

Your gay friends sound a bit glum.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

Oh stop being horrible

aviaviavioioioi

Sep 29, 2009
Seaford/Brighton
How is .."does your boyfriend know your here" offensive ?

If there are gay people in the crowd why would they have a problem with that? It's just a harmless question.

Is it offensive because they are ashamed of being gay? .. i don't get that.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
How is .."does your boyfriend know your here" offensive ?

If there are gay people in the crowd why would they have a problem with that? It's just a harmless question.

Is it offensive because they are ashamed of being gay? .. i don't get that.

Because they're using sexuality as an insult.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Complete crap.

So if someone is gay ( openly or not ) how exactly does it affect you in a negative way ? If a gay person wants to come and watch the football and support the Albion they have as much right as a striaght person. Really can't see why people would get a bee in their bonnet about a gay person being an Albion supporter - it has f*** all to do with anyone else !

Anyone who states "I hate poofters" etc might as well say "I hate everyone who's name begins with the letter A" or "I hate everyone with size 9 feet" - all are equally as stupid !

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Probably because most football clubs are serious about stamping out racism, but only make token gestures in the direction of homophobia.

You haven't really answered the question though.
The same can be said in Scotland.I did read somewhere that Rangers haven't banned a single person for sectarian abuse/violence etc.No idea about Celtic but have a guess they haven't done alot either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here