Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holroyd

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Make sure we have a good sign on fee for the future dont want to make the same mistake as we did with Dean Saunders? Tiltman has more skill and speed than Saunders Who Said that:tosser:from worthing

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
He is obviously good enough for the 2nd Division and Division 1 was one step too high for him.

He is not the first player who was prolific at the lower league level but struggled any higher Fred Binney and Dixie McNeil immediiately spring to mind.

That's too simplistic. You ignore the effect of team play, his role in team, confidencezn hell maybe the fact that fuckwits hurling abuse at him does have a detrimental effect on his performance.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
To be fair, all three goals were bit scrappy and shit

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
He is obviously good enough for the 2nd Division and Division 1 was one step too high for him.

He is not the first player who was prolific at the lower league level but struggled any higher Fred Binney and Dixie McNeil immediiately spring to mind.

If you take a look at the top of the table you might notice that two of the promoted clubs are in play off positions, there's not exactly a huge gap in class is there ?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I really hope that we haven't seen the last of Holroyd. It looks like he has something to offer. I do wish people would give him more of a chance.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
A big issue for Holroyd is simply that he is a bit lightweight - he is pushed off the ball far too easily. He needs to get stronger and use his body better. If he can do that away from the expectation at the Albion and score a few goals as well - all the better.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A big issue for Holroyd is simply that he is a bit lightweight - he is pushed off the ball far too easily. He needs to get stronger and use his body better. If he can do that away from the expectation at the Albion and score a few goals as well - all the better.
Couldn't agree more. He needs to bulk up slightly, and then find sufficient confidence to trust his instincts as he moves into dangerous positions.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think Holroyd is the top scorer on Albion's books this season, does it matter HOW the goals were scored?

No, i'm wrong clearly. Lets recall him, drop Barnes whose overall perfomance have got us 3 points clear at the top and put a player who's never looked anything better than shoddy in our starting line-up based on four scuffed goals in the division below

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Havnt seen Holroyd but what I hear is jake Robinson all over again. Look at jake this season and wasnt his problem being lightweight?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
No, i'm wrong clearly. Lets recall him, drop Barnes whose overall perfomance have got us 3 points clear at the top and put a player who's never looked anything better than shoddy in our starting line-up based on four scuffed goals in the division below

sarcasm aside, none of his goals have been "scuffed". Let's monitor how he gets on and then when his loan ends there will be decisions to be made

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

I take it you're not a fan of Holroyd then?

:eek:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Havnt seen Holroyd but what I hear is jake Robinson all over again. Look at jake this season and wasnt his problem being lightweight?
They are quite different players though. But it does make me wonder how Robinson's Albion career might have progressed with the quality backroom team we have now.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

I have no close connections with the club - but I understood Robinson's issues were mental approach to the game.

Robinson was slight - but looked to me as though he used his body weight better than Holroyd when in contact with defenders.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't think there is a huge difference between League One and League Two.

I posted this a while ago and it is slightly out of date, but it shows how successful a player can be when making the step up.

Is there really that much of a gulf between the divisions?

There are plenty of examples of players scoring regularly and making the step up and scoring regularly.

These are just some recent ones (league games only).

Grant Holt - L2 Rochdale (0.45), Shrews (0.47); L1 Norwich (0.63)
Glenn Murray - L2 Rochdale (0.53); L1 Brighton (0.49)
C Mackail-Smith - L2 Peterboro (0.33); L2 Peterboro (0.5)
Simeon Jackson - L2 Gills (0.38); L1 (0.35)

(0.xx) = Goal Ratio

Plus, Steve Morison of Millwall scored 2 in his first 18 appearances after his switch from Conference Stevenage to League One. He ended the season with 23 goals.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
In the Argus here, as per Gus knows his football:

Holroyd's famine down to me says Poyet
10:28am Monday 27th September 2010

Print
Email
Comments(4)
By Andy Naylor »

Albion boss Gus Poyet says he is to blame for Chris Holroyd's goal drought with Albion.

The striker, scoreless for the Seagulls since a January move from Cambrioge United, hit the target on his debut for Stevenage after joining the League Two club on loan.

Poyet said: "Because of the way we play we didn't help him enough to score goals.

"The way I want to play leaves him too far from the goal, so I am responsible."

See tomorrow's Argus for the full story.

I take it no one read the full story cos going by what Gus said in the article he obviously sees something in him and will monitor his progress up there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here