Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday plans this summer?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
How do you even deal with that!?

I go from my air-conditioned house, get in my air-conditioned car, drive to work, work in my air-conditioned office, get back in my (****ing-hot) air-conditioned car and drive home to my air-conditioned house.

It's been 18 years, but from what I recall, I'm more comfortable here when it's 117F than after a few days of warm, muggy, nowhere-has-air-conditioning England.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Campsites open in Wales end of the month, will wait till the schools go back and (therefore the bulk of the holidaymakers) in Sep then saunter down to St Davids and then Aberaeron for a few nights camping. No airport madness, no worries, probably no sun buy heyho :)

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
I go from my air-conditioned house, get in my air-conditioned car, drive to work, work in my air-conditioned office, get back in my (****ing-hot) air-conditioned car and drive home to my air-conditioned house.

It's been 18 years, but from what I recall, I'm more comfortable here when it's 117F than after a few days of warm, muggy, nowhere-has-air-conditioning England.

I should have figured!

The temps here have been the same as Juan's... but in our little cabin we don't have AC. It's been unbearable!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Staying at home.
Luckily we live 100 yards from the sea.
Whoops, I've just realised that I posted a few days ago...........old age!:D

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Flew back from France on Ryanair yesterday. Airports (Nimes and Stansted) both quiet. Flight about 2/3rds full. Masks required in airports and on flight. They did do food and drinks service on the flight so I guess those with sandwiches, wine etc had their masks off while they were consuming. No other measures really other than some social distancing stickers on floors and seats.

Overall probably less hassle than normal as things were so quiet- e.g. got through passport control, bags collected from carousel and out through customs in about 4 mins flat.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Fly back to UK on Friday for 5 weeks.

Absolute ****ing joke that I have to quarantine when I arrive.

I'm coming from a country of 10m people that's had 334 deaths total, to one that's 7 times bigger, but has a death rate 135 times higher. Where's the bigger risk, hmm?

And to make it even more ironic, Dubai has a far better approach to people coming here from the UK. You get tested when you land, and are required to quarantine for 24hrs until the results are sent to you – then if you're all clear, you're free to go.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Fly back to UK on Friday for 5 weeks.

Absolute ****ing joke that I have to quarantine when I arrive.

I'm coming from a country of 10m people that's had 334 deaths total, to one that's 7 times bigger, but has a death rate 135 times higher. Where's the bigger risk, hmm?

And to make it even more ironic, Dubai has a far better approach to people coming here from the UK. You get tested when you land, and are required to quarantine for 24hrs until the results are sent to you – then if you're all clear, you're free to go.

Have a friend flying in from Malaysia next week, same situation. They have less than 20 cases per day for the past few weeks. Flying is risky though

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My summer holiday will be a birthday trip to Bamberg.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Isn’t the problem with Dubai because they are a very large connective airport similar to Heathrow? And so unfortunately you may well be seated next to someone from a country much worse off than Dubai, I know an neighbour of mine who goes to India often flies via Dubai. Obviously it’s bloody annoying to have to quarantine for 2 weeks though.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Easyjet just cancelled our flights to Seville, so we had to cancel our airb&b in Andalusia, now there is feck all left at reasonable prices in this country.
One miserable wife, who has been working from home & home schooling, so desperate to get away...
So much so she she sent me a place in West Wittering to approve £150.00 a night in a loft apartment which is, very nice but, has a low ceiling, a microwave and one bed, so I would probably end up on the sofa when the daughter starts moaning (she normally sleeps with us, I know, I know)..... £150 a night for a place 40miles away....

Gonna be lucky finding somewhere now.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Mrs Crodo and I are doing a week glamping in Wiltshire.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yeah that's brutal timing, potentially. You almost want to have a big sign on your car saying "We were ALWAYS going to be travelling on this day."

It was all good in the end, five hours each way, which is about as good as we've ever done from here (312 miles). Busyish but no real hold ups. Motorway services largely well organised and clean.

The weather didn't really play ball unfortunately. Well it wasn't too bad but not exactly a scorcher. Of course if you could guarantee the weather in this country there would be far less need to go anywhere else.

Always amazes me that so many bypass Devon and go straight to Cornwall. You seem to get better service, a friendlier welcome and cheaper prices. A couple of shots from last week:

Dev1.JPG
Dev2.JPG

Back to Devon (via Sussex!) in August.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It was all good in the end, five hours each way, which is about as good as we've ever done from here (312 miles). Busyish but no real hold ups. Motorway services largely well organised and clean.

The weather didn't really play ball unfortunately. Well it wasn't too bad but not exactly a scorcher. Of course if you could guarantee the weather in this country there would be far less need to go anywhere else.

Always amazes me that so many bypass Devon and go straight to Cornwall. You seem to get better service, a friendlier welcome and cheaper prices. A couple of shots from last week:

View attachment 126077
View attachment 126078

Back to Devon (via Sussex!) in August.

Great stuff - glad it was all good for you.

Had similar actually, took wife and child to see the inlaws in Nottingham for the first time in half a year. Traffic absolutely fine both up and back.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just booked my week in Ibiza.....first time I have been in October though.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Just booked my week in Ibiza.....first time I have been in October though.

I’m off in late August :clap2:

Although, with Spain having 2615 new cases today and free travel within Spain(10 flights alone today from Barcelona to the Balearics) I have a feeling this won’t happen unfortunately, if these numbers don’t come down I can’t see how we won’t have to impose quarantine on Spain again.

I think if this one goes down the pan I might well give up. Had 3 holidays in a row cancelled. :lolol:

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Had Canada June cancelled
Just had France Aug cancelled

arghhh

oh well just booked a cottage north Somerset for a week in September

seem to be a few places still available , but prices ain’t cheap

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here