Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday plans this summer?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A couple of weeks ago, quick on the draw as I’m desperate for a holiday, I booked EasyJet flights to Italy and a hotel in the Dolomites. I would’ve paid a hotel deposit, but the nice hotel people didn’t even want credit card details.

If the worse comes to the worse eg UK or Italian new travel restrictions, we haven’t lost a penny. I’d probably take an EasyJet credit, because we use them a lot.

But I’m positive the holiday will go ahead.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Just booked a villa in the canary islands end of August

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m off in late August :clap2:

Although, with Spain having 2615 new cases today and free travel within Spain(10 flights alone today from Barcelona to the Balearics) I have a feeling this won’t happen unfortunately, if these numbers don’t come down I can’t see how we won’t have to impose quarantine on Spain again.

I think if this one goes down the pan I might well give up. Had 3 holidays in a row cancelled. :lolol:

Hmmmm. I wish you luck. I have had one holiday cancelled so I can empathise. Being nosey where you planning to stay?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Hmmmm. I wish you luck. I have had one holiday cancelled so I can empathise. Being nosey where you planning to stay?

I would never normally choose it due to its ‘clubber’ reputation but we are booked at Grand Palladium White Island in Playa D’en Bossa. It’s not my favourite part of Ibiza aesthetically I must say but the price we got for late August was too good to refuse. I’m not holding my breath though, it’s quite frustrating actually a big part of my enjoyment of holidays is the excitement in the build up, which is lacking with all this going on.

Hopefully Spain get the outbreaks under control, otherwise summer will officially be cancelled.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would never normally choose it due to its ‘clubber’ reputation but we are booked at Grand Palladium White Island in Playa D’en Bossa. It’s not my favourite part of Ibiza aesthetically I must say but the price we got for late August was too good to refuse. I’m not holding my breath though, it’s quite frustrating actually a big part of my enjoyment of holidays is the excitement in the build up, which is lacking with all this going on.

Hopefully Spain get the outbreaks under control, otherwise summer will officially be cancelled.

Ha. It does raise a few sniggers with a few work colleagues when I go but there are some really beautiful parts of the island and some lovely beaches and restaurants and bars etc.

As I say, good luck and hope to see you post about your holiday on here.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Mrs has just convinced me that a few days away in North Devon is a good idea in the middle of September, so I've bargained a week in the Highlands next year for it.

Just a shame we've got to take the kids.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Ye saw that a few mins ago....so you are on holiday ...back tomorrow and going back to work on Monday....oh hang on

Ps havnt you booked one in Spain for later in the year?

Yep, nightmare! I did see this happening though, the spanish government are a joke. They are doing nothing to limit travel from infections hotspots to other regions.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Is it all of Spain or just mainland ?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yep, nightmare! I did see this happening though, the spanish government are a joke. They are doing nothing to limit travel from infections hotspots to other regions.

Not really the thread.

But Sweden (care homes aside) is looking like the correct model - lockdowns are just delaying by the looks of things.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

It has to be the whole of Spain because spanish mainland are allowing free travel from the mainland to the archipelagos, a friend of mine works out there and says the majority of tourists at the moment are Spaniards from mainland, which means just quarantining mainland Spain would be pointless. The central government in Spain rejected the Balearic governments approach about limiting free movement within Spain.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
So does the FCO guidance also automatically revert to recommending no non-essential travel to Spain?

This will really kill bookings cos people will now have no confidence in whether they will be able to go / whether they will have to quarantine on return. Would imagine most people will give up now and plan for 2021.

Can’t really see the economy picking back up until next year now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Absolute disaster for those coming back soon or those booked to go in the near future

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU

This is the latest from the FCO site

From 26 July, the FCO advises against all non-essential travel to mainland Spain based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks. Only the Canary Islands (Tenerife, Fuerteventura, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, La Palma, La Gomera, El Hierro and La Graciosa) and Balearic Islands (Mallorca, Menorca, Ibiza, and Formentera) are exempt from the FCO advice against all non-essential international travel.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
BBC News, before this announcement, had a long article on the resurgence of CV19 in Catalonia.

Health experts there put this down In the main to big numbers in nightclubs.

Strikes me as cocky/blasé of the Spanish government to reopen nightclubs so early. Arrogance that they’d beaten CV19. Multi hundred folk in confined spaces, with no social distancing or face-masks. How about leaving such scenarios to the very end?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
This is the latest from the FCO site

From 26 July, the FCO advises against all non-essential travel to mainland Spain based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks. Only the Canary Islands (Tenerife, Fuerteventura, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, La Palma, La Gomera, El Hierro and La Graciosa) and Balearic Islands (Mallorca, Menorca, Ibiza, and Formentera) are exempt from the FCO advice against all non-essential international travel.

Fairly odd given in the last 3 days there has been nearly 30 flights from Barcelona to the spanish archipelagos, totally unrestricted travel wise. Restricting just the spanish mainland would be really silly.

I’ve just read this update:

Still current at: 25 July 2020 Updated: 25 July 2020 Latest update:

Update to advise against all non-essential travel to mainland Spain ('Summary').

This advice is based on evidence of increases in cases of COVID-19 in several regions, but particularly in Aragon, Navarra and Catalonia (which include the cities of Zaragoza, Pamplona and Barcelona).

The FCO is not advising those already travelling in Spain to leave at this time. Travellers should follow the advice of the local authorities on how best to protect themselves and others, including any measures that they bring in to control the virus. If you are returning from Spain (including from the Balearics and Canaries) on or after 26 July you will be required to quarantine on your return to the UK, but the FCO is not advising you to cut short your visit. You should contact your tour operator or airline if you have any questions about your return journey.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
So essentially:

Mainland Spain > return home ASAP
Balaerics/Canaries > You can go and your travel insurance will still be valid, but you will have to self isolate on return.

The reason for this will be, at present Spanish islands have low infection rates, but with the spanish government refusing to implement measures inside Spain I can see this changing soon unfortunately, you don’t have 10/15 flights per day packed full of spanish mainland tourists from a hotspot, it’s insanity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here