Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

here is a view words from harty.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Apologies, but I'm just sick of the all the b***s***,

I don't believe we will go down

I think we will get to Wembley and have a good day out, and more importantly it will re ignite the passion of the the Albion in a lot of the younger fans.

In my opinion, which in the whole scheme of things means nothing, I think Dick Knight had made his mind up that Wilkins was out as far back as last January, he told the 'inner sanctum' as much.

He should have sacked him then and brought whoever he felt fit, bringing Micky in gave him a position of strength in that Adams was the only manager in the eyes of the Albion fans he could have got away with it.

As I said before we won't go down, but don't shoot the messenger!

Yes, Dick Knight DID decide to sack Wilkins back in January. I've heard this also from the inner sanctum.

What Dick Knight should have done is KEPT HIS f***ing INTERFERING EGO OUT OF THINGS PITCHSIDE.

Adams has ruined Wilkins legacy. Wilkins got us 7th, Wilkins brought in Murray, he brought in Forster, he built a fantastic youth policy.

I'm absolutely f***ing sick and tired of people trying to expunge Wilkins achievements from the history books. Shameful day when he was sacked and Dick Knight ought to have a long hard look at himself and ask himself whether what he did was in the best interests of the Albion.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
bringing Micky in gave him a position of strength in that Adams was the only manager in the eyes of the Albion fans he could have got away with it.

It's starting to back fire though, We're not getting results and we're not getting performances and at the moment we look dead certs for the drop. The last time I saw an Albion team playing like we are now McGhee was taking us down from the Championship.

Yes, Dick Knight DID decide to sack Wilkins back in January. I've heard this also from the inner sanctum.

What Dick Knight should have done is KEPT HIS f***ing INTERFERING EGO OUT OF THINGS PITCHSIDE.

Adams has ruined Wilkins legacy. Wilkins got us 7th, Wilkins brought in Murray, he brought in Forster, he built a fantastic youth policy.

I'm absolutely f***ing sick and tired of people trying to expunge Wilkins achievements from the history books. Shameful day when he was sacked and Dick Knight ought to have a long hard look at himself and ask himself whether what he did was in the best interests of the Albion.

i agree so much all i can say is yyyyyeeeeeessssssss!!!. dean wilkins got us to seventh with a worse squad than what we have and that takes alot. people could say adams is building a squad but he isnt, he is signing a load of players who are past it or unwanted ( bar mcnulty ).

Thats what you told me back in January Mr Bassford, after DK had spoken to you all at a Falmer meeting
No it wasn't. You weren't listening.

And it wasn't in January that you and I spoke. It was much later. And I hadn't intended you to repeat what I said, either on SCR or on NSC. But that hardly seems to matter now, since you don't seem to remember what I did say to you.

And, if by the "inner sanctum", you mean the whole of the Falmer For All team were involved in the conversation with DK in January, you are wrong about that as well.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thats what you told me back in January Mr Bassford, after DK had spoken to you all at a Falmer meeting

Nah. The reason trotted out by those who had the whisper from Deadly Dick was the poor performance (*) of Wilkins when in the Hammond-Knight-Hammond's Agent-Wilkins contract negotiating episode.

(* - where 'poor performance' could actually be translated as knowing he wanted a player to be an integral part of his squad and doing all he could to keep him)

Nah. The reason trotted out by those who had the whisper from Deadly Dick was the poor performance (*) of Wilkins when in the Hammond-Knight-Hammond's Agent-Wilkins contract negotiating episode.

(* - where 'poor performance' could actually be translated as knowing he wanted a player to be an integral part of his squad and doing all he could to keep him)
Correct.

Bozza's footnote may well reflect DW's wishes at the time. What it ignores is that DW's idea of "doing all that he could to keep Hammond" wasn't very realistic, or very effectively conveyed.

As to the "losing the dressing room" element of this debate ... it seems to me that DW was very popular with some, but not all, of the occupants of the dressing room. But that wasn't discussed at all by DK in January.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Correct.

Bozza's footnote may well reflect DW's wishes at the time. What it ignores is that DW's idea of "doing all that he could to keep Hammond" wasn't very realistic, or very effectively conveyed.

So effectively, by upsetting the chairman he had to go......

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Correct.

As to the "losing the dressing room" element of this debate ... it seems to me that DW was very popular with some, but not all, of the occupants of the dressing room. But that wasn't discussed at all by DK in January.

Edward, I apologise, I love you and respect you.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
er ... no.

The point is that DW didn't go in January. He might have upset the chairman, but this wasn't enough to get himself sacked at the time.

Could it be it was enough to get him sacked, but DK wanted to get the replacement, i.e. MA, lined up before dropping the axe?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Correct.

For someone who has said that you are bemused by accusations that you're a member of the inner sanctum, you seem to know an awful lot about what went on.

You got played for a patsy, LB. Uncle Dick wanted a whispering campaign against DW started so he puts a few unattributable comments out (well, they're attributable now aren't they?), a few innuendos that could be refuted if pushed and told a few people who are widely respected knowing that they would seep out into the public domain.

Did you really think that DK would be so indiscreet about the inner workings of the team without considering the effects a few unguarded comments would make? Of course not. DK is a genuine 100% king of spin. He made his fortune in it.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Gotta say that you are spot on.

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
Ian my old mate, I'm on my way out to catch up with your intake. Have a good evening. I intend to, as I need something to get over today's shock. Karaoke and scotch - I'm on my way.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
er ... no.

The point is that DW didn't go in January. He might have upset the chairman, but this wasn't enough to get himself sacked at the time.

Red Herring LB, he was going anyway and we've all been given the reasons why he was allowed to stay on until the end of season.

However, there are still two questions that have never been answered.

1) Why was he sacked.
2) Why was he allowed to release players (who came back anyway) pre-season if the writing was on the wall.

By all accounts Reid was offered a contract as well (after being released)

The whole handling of the issue ( and the aftermath ) has been one almightly cock-up by the club.

Huge.

Very hard to prove a "whispering campaign", but I felt the same as well before the events of Christmas. There seemed to a strange attitude towards Wilkins from a number of posters, some were frankly bizarre at the time.

Last edited:

For someone who has said that you are bemused by accusations that you're a member of the inner sanctum, you seem to know an awful lot about what went on.

You got played for a patsy, LB. Uncle Dick wanted a whispering campaign against DW started so he puts a few unattributable comments out (well, they're attributable now aren't they?), a few innuendos that could be refuted if pushed and told a few people who are widely respected knowing that they would seep out into the public domain.

Did you really think that DK would be so indiscreet about the inner workings of the team without considering the effects a few unguarded comments would make? Of course not. DK is a genuine 100% king of spin. He made his fortune in it.

As far as I am aware, none of the people involved in the conversation with DK in January said ANYTHING about what was said until much later. I did have a conversation with Harty (sometime in March, if I remember correctly), and only felt the need to say anything publicly (on NSC) when, some time later, Harty slipped a distorted version of the January conversation on to SCR.

I was genuinely surprised when MA was appointed and had had no inkling that this was going to happen.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It all comes back to bite you on the arse when you think you are party to privileged info and you decide to just tell a couple of 'PALS'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here