Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Passes Away - 08/09/2022

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
But apparently you don't because you referred to 'they own' regents street. The crown estates are not owned by a group of people.

They own the portfolio of land and assets and “generously” give the profits away so they dont have the burden of paying for the Civil Government ! Quennie still earnt over £75 million in 2018 from the Crown estates, so not a bad days work ay ? And to think there are homeless people and foodbanks….

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
They own the portfolio of land and assets and “generously” give the profits away so they dont have the burden of paying for the Civil Government ! Quennie still earnt over £75 million in 2018 from the Crown estates, so not a bad days work ay ? And to think there are homeless people and foodbanks….

They dont own anything. It belongs to the monarch, ie one person. When they are no longer monarch it passes to the next one! So it's only ever owned by one person. Also, if we were a republic, you would still need to provide head of state stye facilities! As for food banks, why dont we tax the likes of amazon and Google more?

Also, you make it sound like the earnings from the crown estate goes into her pocket!

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
They dont own anything. It belongs to the monarch, ie one person. When they are no longer monarch it passes to the next one! So it's only ever owned by one person. Also, if we were a republic, you would still need to provide head of state stye facilities! As for food banks, why dont we tax the likes of amazon and Google more?

Also, you make it sound like the earnings from the crown estate goes into her pocket!

BUT you make it sound like that is a sane thing to do ?! Let’s just pass all this wealth to the next monarch, it’s crazy. And I agree in taxing Amazon, Google etc. It’s just I’m talking about inherited wealth that could be passed to “the people”. What’s wrong with that ? Give me one reason …..

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
BUT you make it sound like that is a sane thing to do ?! Let’s just pass all this wealth to the next monarch, it’s crazy. And I agree in taxing Amazon, Google etc. It’s just I’m talking about inherited wealth that could be passed to “the people”. What’s wrong with that ? Give me one reason …..

There are several reasons - but I suspect not one that you would choose to accept, so ........................... :shrug:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Do you believe in any inherited wealth?

Also, what exactly do you expect the 'people' to do with the crown estates? Sell them off to the Americans, Chinese or Russians (when the sanctions are lifted).

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
Do you believe in any inherited wealth?

Also, what exactly do you expect the 'people' to do with the crown estates? Sell them off to the Americans, Chinese or Russians (when the sanctions are lifted).

Why would you sell them off abroad ? Why sell them to anybody ? Give the land, property etc back to the British people to look after, employ people, no profit. Seems weird ay. Imagine how many people it would help rather than the few.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Screenshot_20220917_163923.jpg

https://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/en-gb/resources/faqs/

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast

There are numerous articles and reports that refer to your ‘gripe’ more thoroughly, but I suggest you also balance that with the ‘Brand Britain’ effect of how much revenue the Royal Family brings to the U.K. I think you will be pleasantly surprised - or not in your case.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
There are numerous articles and reports that refer to your ‘gripe’ more thoroughly, but I suggest you also balance that with the ‘Brand Britain’ effect of how much revenue the Royal Family brings to the U.K. I think you will be pleasantly surprised - or not in your case.

That never been quantified, at least not seriously.

A few years ago the "good for tourism" myth developed from a single odd report. The reality is that the single Palace of Versailles has more visitors annually that all the Royal Palaces combined.

Defend an unelected hereditary Head of State all you like, but don't bring a positive of effect on the economy into it. It's unproveable.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That never been quantified, at least not seriously.

A few years ago the "good for tourism" myth developed from a single odd report. The reality is that the single Palace of Versailles has more visitors annually that all the Royal Palaces combined.

Defend an unelected hereditary Head of State all you like, but don't bring a positive of effect on the economy into it. It's unproveable.

….and equally disprovable therefore?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
….and equally disprovable therefore?

Not much of a counter argument, I can't tonight prove that the moon isn't made of cheese.

What is provable is the money keeping a Royal Family costs the taxpayer. A few years a new defence of their existence entered the debate. Having one was actually good for the economy as if many of their defenders had run out of ideas beyond they like the costumes.

We aren't paying for them, we are investing in them for the common good.

Bit lame if you can't prove it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not much of a counter argument, I can't tonight prove that the moon isn't made of cheese.

What is provable is the money keeping a Royal Family costs the taxpayer. A few years a new defence of their existence entered the debate. Having one was actually good for the economy since many of it's defenders had run out of ideas beyond they like the costumes.

We aren't paying for them, we are investing in them for the common good.

Bit lame if you can't prove it.

I don’t hugely care whether they are a contributor or a drain in terms of the country’s finances (it’s pretty much unprovable either way anyway so a pointless argument)……….as [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] suggests it’s a sideshow compared to the billions in tax being avoided by the real culprits.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don’t hugely care whether they are a contributor or a drain in terms of the country’s finances (it’s pretty much unprovable either way anyway so a pointless argument)……….as [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] suggests it’s a sideshow compared to the billions in tax being avoided by the real culprits.

In compliance in banking and The City were you kind of aware of what goes on amongst the really wealthy and secretive in Europe?

Through work connections and a general interest, I’ve had an insight for a long time. Ranging from UK VAT carousel thieves worth £100m’s given immunity in Switzerland, UK businessmen who sold out in the noughties who lied by saying they lived in Benelux and criminally evaded all taxes, to new money wealth throughout Sussex (tax avoided) beyond the dreams of people here. Joe or Josef Public in Europe haven’t got the foggiest of what’s occurred since the mid 90’s.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
This thread, in true NSC Style, is becoming less and less tasteful. Maybe time for Bozza to take it out?

are you now the arbiter of what is tasteful on NSC? I object to the obsequious glorification of a man who befriended a known peadophile, can we have those comments removed? Where will this all end up!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
In compliance in banking and The City were you kind of aware of what goes on amongst the really wealthy and secretive in Europe?

Through work connections and a general interest, I’ve had an insight for a long time. Ranging from UK VAT carousel thieves worth £100m’s given immunity in Switzerland, UK businessmen who sold out in the noughties who lied by saying they lived in Benelux and criminally evaded all taxes, to new money wealth throughout Sussex (tax avoided) beyond the dreams of people here. Joe or Josef Public in Europe haven’t got the foggiest of what’s occurred since the mid 90’s.

I found it odd that the authorities found the resources and know-how to go after Putin's ill gotten gains so quickly but are resistant to go after that which is nearer to home.

They are clearly worried of the ideological implications of doing so and the agencies responsible for doing it are not fit for purpose.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Kind of ? :lol:

We should have a chat over a pint at some point….I was head of international compliance for the private banking division of a big bank (and had to manage the Swiss team directly for several months after I had to fire our local head), and group head of regulatory compliance assurance at a bigger bank before I jacked it all in…….

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I found it odd that the authorities found the resources and know-how to go after Putin's ill gotten gains so quickly but are resistant to go after that which is nearer to home.

They are clearly worried of the ideological implications of doing so and the agencies responsible for doing it are not fit for purpose.

As a tax professional, there was one key moment in history, the 1998 Human Rights Act. It had an unintended consequences in one particular way.

Until then switched-on tax inspectors, I saw this, could get to the bottom of a tax cheat’s entire affairs. How did they fund that expensive home and other properties, how do they fund their lifestyle (with an HMRC detailed weekly spreadsheet drafted of all outgoings versus declared net income)?

Overnight that was deemed a breach of the individual’s human rights. The really good tax inspectors took early retirement, their hands tied.

Someone once said to me in jest if only the authorities knew how all these people living in multi £m Sussex homes made their money, it would net 1,000’s crooks and tax cheats. He was probably correct.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here