[News] Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Passes Away - 08/09/2022

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It does indeed appear that some people in Scotland are not patriotic conservative Englishmen.

Regardless of approving of the monarchy or not, I think it is despicable to disrupt the minutes silence for the Queen.
By all means protest later.
It's worth considering, based on the number of anti monarchy posters on here, how many would boo etc a minutes silence at the Amex.
I suspect that most would respect it. It's just republicans in Scotland who don't.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Regardless of approving of the monarchy or not, I think it is despicable to disrupt the minutes silence for the Queen.
By all means protest later.
It's worth considering, based on the number of anti monarchy posters on here, how many would boo etc a minutes silence at the Amex.
I suspect that most would respect it. It's just republicans in Scotland who don't.

I understand and don't disagree with your point of view but probably would say the same thing to one of them. It is what it is.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Love this. Always like a bit of subversive behaviour towards the upper classes and a jolly good reminder that not everyone has the same experience of the monarchy. For many, many people it’s not all Danbury Mint decorative plates and garden parties.

The Irish and the Scots have every right to loathe the monarchy.

The level of power our monarchy wields does not come without enforcement and oppression.

Good for the sweaties.

Really don’t like the sectarianism in Scottish football, it’s so toxic

I have friends in Edinburgh and their kids are told strictly no football shirts or bags in school

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Love this. Always like a bit of subversive behaviour towards the upper classes and a jolly good reminder that not everyone has the same experience of the monarchy. For many, many people it’s not all Danbury Mint decorative plates and garden parties.

The Irish and the Scots have every right to loathe the monarchy.

The level of power our monarchy wields does not come without enforcement and oppression.

Good for the sweaties.

Don't know where to start on how inappropriate this post is. Subversive behaviour to the Upper Classes? Which are who and where? At a Sweaty Football match? Far more likely to be the rancid sectarianism that infests Scotland - and I worked up there for nearly 30 years on & off so know of what I speak.

Was at St Mary's Storrington for a Memorial Service AM, didn't spot any Upper Class, just a lot of ordinary people paying respects.

As for the Irish and Scots loathing people, they do pretty well loathing and killing one another and have done for Centuries...

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Absolutely it is a lack of respect. But do you have to respect everyone?

No. But on the death of a public figure who has not broken any laws, I would expect most DECENT people to show some. Clearly missed for you.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No. But on the death of a public figure who has not broken any laws, I would expect most DECENT people to show some. Clearly missed for you.

Personally "public figure" doesnt make me respect a person more or less than a non-public figure. "Decent people" is subjective.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Personally "public figure" doesnt make me respect a person more or less than a non-public figure. "Decent people" is subjective.

To quote the World's leading authority on everything, "it is what it is"

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Respect.

E82F9624-E560-4A5F-94BA-1CD9B127A180.jpeg

Central London is a sea of friendly folk today.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
What it is is a lack of respect.

Why should anyone have respect for the Queen? I understand that you and many others do but why expect others to feel that way? If she'd been a soap star or TV presenter, sure. In that case I could see why everyone would sit and respect the minute's silence/applause. But she was the figurehead of a regime that has for centuries oppressed people around the world while also representing an affront to democracy in the home nations.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Why should anyone have respect for the Queen? I understand that you and many others do but why expect others to feel that way? If she'd been a soap star or TV presenter, sure. In that case I could see why everyone would sit and respect the minute's silence/applause. But she was the figurehead of a regime that has for centuries oppressed people around the world while also representing an affront to democracy in the home nations.

The keyword is figurehead.
Blame the politicians by all means but the Monarchy has not had any say in running the country in her lifetime and so definitely deserves more respect that a two bit actor from a pathetic soap TV series that the masses love!

Despite that, if I were at any event that wanted to show respect for someone in that series, I would keep quiet. (Even for Bake off or Love Island "stars" )
It costs nothing to show respect for the deceased.
Make your protests at another time and place.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Blame the politicians by all means but the Monarchy has not had any say in running the country in her lifetime and so definitely deserves more respect that a two bit actor from a pathetic soap TV series that the masses love!

Despite that, if I were at any event that wanted to show respect for someone in that series, I would keep quiet. (Even for Bake off or Love Island "stars" )

I know what you mean. I really do. If I'd been at a ground this weekend, I'd have respected the minute's silence as I would have for any other person I didn't personally care about. For the sake of others in the crowd rather than the person themselves, perhaps.

However, I can't absolve the monarchy of any guilt. To my mind, they epitomise systemic problems in our nation.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Pathetic 6th Form Debating Society stuff isn't it? Should be ashamed of himself but won't be...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Don't know where to start on how inappropriate this post is. Subversive behaviour to the Upper Classes? Which are who and where? At a Sweaty Football match? Far more likely to be the rancid sectarianism that infests Scotland - and I worked up there for nearly 30 years on & off so know of what I speak.

Was at St Mary's Storrington for a Memorial Service AM, didn't spot any Upper Class, just a lot of ordinary people paying respects.

As for the Irish and Scots loathing people, they do pretty well loathing and killing one another and have done for Centuries...

Apologies if I have misunderstood the context. I assumed it was a deliberately disrespectful “up yours” against the English elite, for the history. A snook, cocked at the aristocracy.

Sorry if my ignorance has caused offence. Not intended.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Pathetic 6th Form Debating Society stuff isn't it? Should be ashamed of himself but won't be...

But why? I assure you, I left 6th form long ago but can't get my head around deference to the monarchy. Far from being deserving of respect, I feel they are a force for bad in our nation and beyond.

I've not heard a single coherent argument to convince me otherwise.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
But why? I assure you, I left 6th form long ago but can't get my head around deference to the monarchy. Far from being deserving of respect, I feel they are a force for bad in our nation and beyond.

I've not heard a single coherent argument to convince me otherwise.

Look around the world and count how many elected heads of state are a force for good as opposed to those that aren't (and it doesn't really matter about the veracity of their democratic process as they are where they are!).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here