Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Passes Away - 08/09/2022

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Kind of ? :lol:

We should have a chat over a pint at some point….I was head of international compliance for the private banking division of a big bank (and had to manage the Swiss team directly for several months after I had to fire our local head), and group head of regulatory compliance assurance at a bigger bank before I jacked it all in…….

Definitely, to wash down a curry :lolol:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Sovereign Grant last year-£86m Crown Estate Surplus £318m. I think that's the economic argument covered.

.. it's the fact you are making it that is odd.

The Sovereign Grant doesn't cover all expenditure on a Royal Family by the way. That's just the official headline figure.

The estimated cost is actually higher than the 318m you describe.

Now that's fine if you support their existence, because a Royal Family shouldn't be expected to cost nothing. But please stop this argument that us subjects are actually investing in them for the greater wealth of the country.

It's as if Royalists have run out of ideas.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

The Sovereign Grant doesn't cover all expenditure on a Royal Family by the way. That's just the official headline figure.

Now that's fine if you support their existence, because a Royal Family shouldn't be expected to cost nothing. But please stop this argument that us subjects are actually investing in them for the greater wealth of the country.

I'm not a Royalist. Charles is not my king. I enjoyed the booing at proclamation. Good old dissent.

But I really don't care if we have them or not. An economic sideshow (depending on how it is looked at). Bit of pomp and pageantry. Something that feels consistent in an uncertain world.

Having the same debate with a friend.

If anything, I feel they are used by the institutions of power. I think best to direct the ire elsewhere. To big business, the media, government. In that order.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And we extend the hand of friendship to the Saudi leadership.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-62940906

Listening to a former ambassador to the UN justify this, 'on balance', as appropriate, this morning, I pondered for a moment whether Putin been sent an invitation.

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
There you go ‘The Seagull’ - all explained, “ay”.

If you can understand all that you’re a better man than I am clearly. What a huge grey area in that statement. And as I’ve said before the queen did profit from the estate in 2018 to the tune of millions. We’ll not agree on this so I’ll stop now. Just remember, the next homeless person you walk past doesn’t need to be there, but the monarchy are living in disgusting wealth.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Post a link to your estimated costs. The Sovereign Grant and Crown Estates to the Treasury Is published every year.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you can understand all that you’re a better man than I am clearly. What a huge grey area in that statement. And as I’ve said before the queen did profit from the estate in 2018 to the tune of millions. We’ll not agree on this so I’ll stop now. Just remember, the next homeless person you walk past doesn’t need to be there, but the monarchy are living in disgusting wealth.

Well that explains a lot!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

How much higher exactly ? Bit lame to not support your claim with any evidence :shrug:

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
Why would you sell them off abroad ? Why sell them to anybody ? Give the land, property etc back to the British people to look after, employ people, no profit. Seems weird ay. Imagine how many people it would help rather than the few.

Why sell them off abroad? Because that is what we do. We’ve sold off the Railways, the Water Companies and the rest of the Monopoly board to overseas buyers so why not the Crown estates?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not highlighting the ‘homeless’ line explains a lot about you. Happy Sunday :laugh:

Really, you proclaim you don't understand a simple explanation which I consider explains a lot about many of your posts and you come back with that!

Guessing you spend all your spare time helping out at hostels for the homeless and soup kitchens etc etc.

There is of course loads more that can be done for the homeless but the fact it isn't is a political choice and not down to the fact we have a monarchy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here