Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has to be done

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do wonder sometimes at just how much football has changed over recent years. I for one do not feel it is all for the better.

What are your overiding memories of the Argentina World Cup. I was too young but the footage you always see is the fantastic ticker tape reception when the teams came out. Yet on NSC not so long ago this was mentioned for a game at the Amex and people said NO because it would make a mess. JESUS.... A MESS.

How about the world cup in 1990. Yep Gazza crying , schilachi etc and you will always see that Colombian fan dressed with wings dangling from the top tier, being held by his mate on a rope. Can you imagine what people on here would say, if someone did that from the WSU at the AMEX. Crikey , we would probably close the stadium for a month on health and safety grounds.

What I am trying to say is that football has long been marvelled at by other sports, which fail to generate the excitement and atmosphere that football always has. A sport which historically has always been watched by the working class, who have a few beers and a sing song. Granted things have changed, but lets not completely ruin it for future generations. If you don't want to sing ... fine. If you want to take a flask of coffee... fine. If you want to take the kids ( As I will do ), fine.

If you want to sit in the north stand, make loads of noise, and occasionally in a sublime epic moment find yourself jumping around the goal mouth in celebration. Fine by me.

Remember it's "FALMER FOR ALL" FOLKS, and as far as I am aware, IT IS STILL FOOTBALL.

Awaits further slating.

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
The three threads I've read from Sid are the following.

1 - Well done the Millwall fans who are going to beat up the rioters.
2 - Should we throw a bottle at Glenn Murray.
3 - Should we envade the pitch.

hmmmm...there seems to be some sort of theme to his posts....

What a load of lies that is, bloody hell.

1. Eltham lads are out protecting there high street. (which they did)
2. would you grass on someone who you saw throw a bottle
3. i would love to see a CELEBRATION on the pitch..

Spin it how you like.....ffs.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That thread was to see what peoples opinions are on grassing for minor issues, that is all.

You later said in the thread that the only thing worse than grassing was kiddy fiddling, so it was nothing to do with minor issues.

Stop rewriting history.

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
Scoring a goal against palace is not winning promotion to the premiership... ???

no but you gave a 'top post' to someone saying it is not black and white.

he said it should ONLY be players on the pitch..

i was just posing the same question you applauded.:thumbsup:

zfleas

Aug 8, 2011
Worthing
I do wonder sometimes at just how much football has changed over recent years. I for one do not feel it is all for the better.

What are your overiding memories of the Argentina World Cup. I was too young but the footage you always see is the fantastic ticker tape reception when the teams came out. Yet on NSC not so long ago this was mentioned for a game at the Amex and people said NO because it would make a mess. JESUS.... A MESS.

How about the world cup in 1990. Yep Gazza crying , schilachi etc and you will always see that Colombian fan dressed with wings dangling from the top tier, being held by his mate on a rope. Can you imagine what people on here would say, if someone did that from the WSU at the AMEX. Crikey , we would probably close the stadium for a month on health and safety grounds.

What I am trying to say is that football has long been marvelled at by other sports, which fail to generate the excitement and atmosphere that football always has. A sport which historically has always been watched by the working class, who have a few beers and a sing song. Granted things have changed, but lets not completely ruin it for future generations. If you don't want to sing ... fine. If you want to take a flask of coffee... fine. If you want to take the kids ( As I will do ), fine.

If you want to sit in the north stand, make loads of noise, and occasionally in a sublime epic moment find yourself jumping around the goal mouth in celebration. Fine by me.

Remember it's "FALMER FOR ALL" FOLKS, and as far as I am aware, IT IS STILL FOOTBALL.

Awaits further slating.

Agree with all these points, however, i do not feel it is for the better and i do not feel it is for the worse. As you said, 'IT IS STILL FOOTBALL' so surely the most important thing is what is happening on the pitch? And it the moment the albion are playing better than I can ever remember, so is that not what matters? Its great that people celebrate however i think it should be mostly kept to the stands , where the fans belong , and the players stay on the pitch, where they belong. I understand the atmosphere is vital to a good game of football but can we not keep the atmosphere good without running onto the pitch??

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
you later said in the thread that the only thing worse than grassing was kiddy fiddling, so it was nothing to do with minor issues.

Stop rewriting history.

no i did not, someone else did, re read that part of that thread please.

zfleas

Aug 8, 2011
Worthing
no but you gave a 'top post' to someone saying it is not black and white.

he said it should ONLY be players on the pitch..

i was just posing the same question you applauded.:thumbsup:

You proposed a pitch invasion over a goal against palace? You seem to have changed your mind...

Sep 1, 2011

Some people are so single minded

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
you later said in the thread that the only thing worse than grassing was kiddy fiddling, so it was nothing to do with minor issues.

Stop rewriting history.

re read and then see who is re-writing it mate.

Thats a big claim to make, especially as it is wrong.

SE25

Banned
Feb 19, 2005
Oh South London...
If you do manage to score against us and decide to celebrate on the pitch, could you do it in front of the away end. Thanks in advance, sid. :wink:

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
If you do manage to score against us and decide to celebrate on the pitch, could you do it in front of the away end. Thanks in advance, sid. :wink:

be my pleasure, but i doubt i'll get that far.:lolol:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Point 2.

"I live in a house, and to see him get cattled with a bottle would make my day tbh"

So yes, you did say it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Awaits further slating.

I think the majority here see no problem in going totally mental and a quick dance on the pitch in a really important match, Wendy in '91, Storer at the Goldstone, Virgo v Swindon etc are times when you go disco crazy and jump about like a loon, and it may spill onto the pitch.

But I suspect you know, as does sid, that what he really wants is for us to score and the invaders to celebrate in front of the Nigels, and see what happens after that. Given his comments about lobbing a bottle at Murray, you can guess that some half brain is likely to have a pop at GM if there is a pitch invasion.

Frankly all I want is 3 points against Palace, and then to laugh at them on the way home. We got FAR too up ourselves against the Stains last season at Withdean, and although the result was meaningless in many ways it was humiliating at the end of the match. That's what I fear against Palace.

Let's just tippy-tap them into submission. It's been a hell of a long time since we beat them at home, and enjoy the experience.

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
Point 2.

"I live in a house, and to see him get cattled with a bottle would make my day tbh"

So yes, you did say it.

Thats not "should we" though is it.... just saying it would make my day

please find a quote where i posed the question "should we throw a bottle at glen murray"

I rest my case m'lord.

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
I think the majority here see no problem in going totally mental and a quick dance on the pitch in a really important match, Wendy in '91, Storer at the Goldstone, Virgo v Swindon etc are times when you go disco crazy and jump about like a loon, and it may spill onto the pitch.

But I suspect you know, as does sid, that what he really wants is for us to score and the invaders to celebrate in front of the Nigels, and see what happens after that. Given his comments about lobbing a bottle at Murray, you can guess that some half brain is likely to have a pop at GM if there is a pitch invasion.

Frankly all I want is 3 points against Palace, and then to laugh at them on the way home. We got FAR too up ourselves against the Stains last season at Withdean, and although the result was meaningless in many ways it was humiliating at the end of the match. That's what I fear against Palace.

Let's just tippy-tap them into submission. It's been a hell of a long time since we beat them at home, and enjoy the experience.

Please look at what you accused me of saying, something i didnt say. thank you.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Agree with all these points, however, i do not feel it is for the better and i do not feel it is for the worse. As you said, 'IT IS STILL FOOTBALL' so surely the most important thing is what is happening on the pitch? And it the moment the albion are playing better than I can ever remember, so is that not what matters? Its great that people celebrate however i think it should be mostly kept to the stands , where the fans belong , and the players stay on the pitch, where they belong. I understand the atmosphere is vital to a good game of football but can we not keep the atmosphere good without running onto the pitch??

Most of the time yes. No Albion fan has been on the pitch yet. End of the season going for the prem, that will likely change. As will a last minute winner against Palace..... whilst most wont like it. I guess the point I was trying to make is that quite often the fans are as important ( Historically ) as the players and the game. The amount of examples you can think of is incredible.

The White horse final - FA CUP. Do you know the score or who played ?. I can't but I remember that it was 1923 and reportedly over 200,000 FANS managed to get into Wembley and ended up sitting round the pitch with the white police horse trying to sort them out.

OR how about that hereford goal against Leeds. I have no idea what the final score was. Possibly the scorer was ronny radford or something, but the ONE THING YOU ALWAYS SEE , AND REMEMBER is the epic pitch invasion, which everyone always thinks was FANTASTIC. It is ALWAYS shown on the clips. The great strike and the fans steaming on.

Maybe It's just me , but I love all the old historic football clips. The terracing and the swaying etc. I remember watching a video years ago about the history of liverpool football club. I think it must have been the 60's as the fans all sang Beatles tunes in the KOP and it was rammed. Fantastic.

The key point about this thread, is that you can't pre plan any pitch invasion. Just has to be an EPIC moment, where people end up on the playing surface with no idea how they go there. Or at least that's how I remember them being at the Goldstone anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here