Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has anyone given up smoking this year?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Beach Hut said:
Haven't resorted to this nicotine gum yet

Nicotine gum and patches just prolong the agony. You still have the drug in your system so if you have gone without up to now then you are closer to being free of the addiction.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Yorkie said:
Nicotine gum and patches just prolong the agony. You still have the drug in your system so if you have gone without up to now then you are closer to being free of the addiction.
might be true of patches but nonsense in relation to gum...

many unsuccessful attempts to stop smoking would have been helped by a couple of bits of nicotine gum available at the right time...

obviously its a good thing to get to the stage where you don't use it anymore but in the first few weeks I'd thoroughly recommend taking some on a night out if you have any doubts about your willpower when under the influence...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yorkie said:

How long till it is out of my system ?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Beach Hut said:
How long till it is out of my system ?

14 days. After that you kick the habit rather than the drug.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yorkie said:

OK a while to go still then but no nights out planned so hopefully ok

sussexfatboy

Jan 4, 2005
Hastings
Day 73 for me. Keep going chaps it only gets easier. I tried Alan Carr it was shit, just full of worthless glowing testimonials from Ruby Wax and Richard Branson saying how good it is but no actual practical advice.

Nicotinell Patches and NHS smoking cessation clinics have worked for me.

Just went to a ten-minute clinic on a Monday night, had my CO levels checked, given patches and that's it. No lectures or patronising.

Reckon I've cracked it for good after 15 years of 20-a-day and countless failed attempts at giving up.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Beach Hut said:
OK a while to go still then but no nights out planned so hopefully ok
Best way, like I think I mentioned earlier, to help me give up during the first month, rather than use patches, gums or any quitting aids I simply did not drink and I did not go out with the lads, seemed to do the trick, worth sacrificing a month of your social life if it helps you give up in my opinion.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Day 10 for me and found it suprisingly easy, only a couple of moments of severe tempatation which passed quickly. I've already noticed my sense of taste and smell have improved and my skin feels better.

Like a few on here the real test will be when I next go on the piss, the ban can't come soon enough. Don't want to rely on gum or patches so it's will power only for me.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Do you really want to quit? I was on 30 a day for 12 years, tried to quit loads, but kept failing, will-power didn't work, gum and patches only worked for a week or so.....

then in July had hypnotherapy. One hour, 140 quid, really sceptical...... Haven't touched one since, haven't wanted one since, can sit with smokers in the pub with no problem .. weird thing is, I feel like I've always been a non-smoker.

Absolutely recommend it to anyone

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The lady two doors away did hynotherapy then smoked the next day - was 10 years ago mind you.

Didn't fancy it.

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
Yorkie said:

Sorry Yorkie have to disagree, the experts say it takes about 1 month for every year you have smoked ( based on 20 a day habit) for the drug to leave your system, this was definitely the case for me, i packed up in Feb 2000 after 28 years (no patches, or hypno, etc....) just will power, and took about 2 years before i could safely say i was 'cured'

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Goodfella said:
Sorry Yorkie have to disagree, the experts say it takes about 1 month for every year you have smoked ( based on 20 a day habit) for the drug to leave your system, this was definitely the case for me, i packed up in Feb 2000 after 28 years (no patches, or hypno, etc....) just will power, and took about 2 years before i could safely say i was 'cured'

:eek: :eek:

Around two years then, very scary

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Goodfella said:
Yes about that for me, but does get progressively better throughout.

How long you smoke for?

I suspect about 28 odd years at the end of the day.

Oh dear :(

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Beach Hut said:
Why not have a go ?

to be honest i could cope with kicking all habits apart from pubs/clubs and driving, on July 1st im gona give it another go

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Goodfella said:

I suppose it depends which experts you read or listen to. I was told 14 days by a medical person.
I smoked for 26 years Beachy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here