Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Had YOU heard of Vicente Rodriguez 3 days ago?

Had YOU heard of Vicente Rodriguez 3 days ago?

• Of course I had!

Votes: 151 46.5%
  • Uh, no, I hadn't actually. Does that make me a bad person?

Votes: 174 53.5%

• Total voters

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I possibly had heard of him but as with a lot of foreign players he would've just been another name that never stuck in my mind.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I went to Valencia twice a few years ago and took in a game both times - Vicente and Aimar were always my favourite players. The man is QUALITY!

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
This thread highlights the lack of knowledge *most* Albion fans have about the footballing world away from the Albion; I wonder how many of those people also complain that the media don't give the FL enough coverage?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Why do people keep mentioning computer games ffs?! I suppose it does show that unless a player comes to England or stars in a World Cup (eg Forlan on both counts) that your "average" supporter will not be aware of them. That said, I am still very surprised. This is a player that Real offered 35 MILLION Euro for when the whole footballing world knew that Valencia were indebted beyond belief and they still didn't let him go. To put it in context, they fought less hard to retain David Silva and David Villa.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Yes - He has played fo Spain in tournaments and a few years ago I used to try and sign him on champo

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
My post was not intended to sound judgemental at all btw. No doubt most have better to do on a Saturday night than watch Spanish football!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I love and watch a lot of Spanish football so I had most definitely heard of him and always thought he was class. Valencia had a great squad for years with players like Silva, Mata, Joaquin and Villa and he was always on that level.

I'm still pinching myself he is actually a Brighton player, it just cant be real!

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I think anyone who plays FM knows who he is. On my current game I'm a season into it and decided to check how he was doing. I went to the Valencia page to find that he wasn't in the squad. A quick transfer history check revealed that he left the club on a bosman and then signed on a free for........ LIVERPOOL!

Vicente.jpg

Chamberpot

Jan 5, 2010
Admittedly no, I thought I knew a lot about foreign football, but had no idea who he was. I looked at some videos of him on youtube and he's quality, not sure if he still has the same flair about him, but a great addition to the squad for sure.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Why do people keep mentioning computer games ffs?! I suppose it does show that unless a player comes to England or stars in a World Cup (eg Forlan on both counts) that your "average" supporter will not be aware of them. That said, I am still very surprised. This is a player that Real offered 35 MILLION Euro for when the whole footballing world knew that Valencia were indebted beyond belief and they still didn't let him go. To put it in context, they fought less hard to retain David Silva and David Villa.
Because loads of people have said they know him from playing computer games. It's a bit like if you used to collect Pokemon cards you'd have heard of Pikachu, whereas people who didn't probably think he's a Chinese full-back.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Nope. Never heard of him but in my defence I've not heard of half of the English national team either. Years of watching lower league football seems to give me zero interest in Premiership/Champions League

Mestalla

Aug 31, 2011
Valencia
For those who never heard of him until now and want to know about his status as football star: this is the Adidas promo for the Eurocup 2004 in Portugal. Vicente was one of the players selected alongside Zidane, Trezeguet, Vieira, Ballack, Kahn, Del Piero, Beckham, Cole, Lampard, Raúl or Xabi Alonso.

47599.jpg

He also did the Adidas promo for the Eurocup 2008 with Lahm and Trezeguet. There were a few videos in Adidas website, but they are not there anymore. This is the wallpaper posted in Adidas site:

1186u.jpg

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
In all seriousness, and I'm not saying this for effect, I couldn't even tell you who won the Premier League last season, it was either Chelsea or Man U but I really can't remember. In much the same vein I couldn't tell you who won Wimbledon or the British Grand Prix; I would have heard at the time, but due to lack of interest the knowledge hasn't stuck in my brain.

So there's absolutely no chance of me remembering some random Spanish player.

Yep. We are in total agreement there

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
it was a "rings a bell" name, but had to look it up. then thought the name wasnt who i thought... a post here made me realise i recalled him not from real football but from being ridiculously good in CM.

have to agree with this.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Whilst you are there Mestalla - can I ask a big favour? I went to Valencia recently and loved it - my favourite Spanish city I've ever been to. I found myself in a bar that sold the little tapas on bread but they also sold a kind of cider where the waitress opened a tap in a huge wooden barrel and a jet of it shot out into a glass. It's in the old part of town but I can't remember the name of the bar. Any ideas please? I'd love to go back there.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Because loads of people have said they know him from playing computer games. It's a bit like if you used to collect Pokemon cards you'd have heard of Pikachu, whereas people who didn't probably think he's a Chinese full-back.

I understand that but that is basically saying they know a name from a computer game rather than the player himself isn't it.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I am not great on top flight players anymore. I had to stop playing Championship Manager ad it was taking over my life!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here